LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

Alright guys, another new beta is out. I'm still planning to proceed with the official release tomorrow morning, so any testing you can do between now and then would be much appreciated. I've spent most of the day fixing and trying to reproduce obscure bugs.

There are still a few outstanding bugs, but as far as I know, this release is more stable than 7.4, so it doesn't make sense to delay it. I will continue to focus on bugfixes initially after the 7.5 release.

@adu Unfortunately I haven't gotten through that issue yet, but it is on my short list so I'll tackle it soon.

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT I added quite a few more safety checks to help us debug your music lockup issue, so I'm hoping that you'll get an error message instead of a lockup if it happens again. If you're able to test between now and tomorrow morning, we may just be able to get the actual fix in before the official release. :)

Thanks all and happy testing. :)

• Like 1

Thank you @johnugamer; yes I did see that. I believe that is being caused by VLC. Unfortunately I won't be fixing that one for 7.5; the issue is that as long as there is a video running, it's likely to prevent your computer from sleeping. Most video games won't allow your computer to sleep either. I don't consider this really a bug, though I do understand how it's annoying. The only way I can figure to fix it would be to time out after a while and stop playing all videos.

For the life I me I still can not fix the lag that is happening between a few systems. It's just a specific few that is doing it. No matter if I have 1 game in the list or a 100+ for the system it still takes longer to load the details and transitions compared to the others. Nintendo Wii, Sega 32X, Sega CD, Sony PSP, Sony PS2 and the Neo Geo. It's progressively gotten worse and was originally just the Wii, 32X and Sega CD. It has to be something with the CriticalZone and CityHunter themes because it's not an issue with any others.

26 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, another new beta is out. I'm still planning to proceed with the official release tomorrow morning, so any testing you can do between now and then would be much appreciated. I've spent most of the day fixing and trying to reproduce obscure bugs.

There are still a few outstanding bugs, but as far as I know, this release is more stable than 7.4, so it doesn't make sense to delay it. I will continue to focus on bugfixes initially after the 7.5 release.

@adu Unfortunately I haven't gotten through that issue yet, but it is on my short list so I'll tackle it soon.

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT I added quite a few more safety checks to help us debug your music lockup issue, so I'm hoping that you'll get an error message instead of a lockup if it happens again. If you're able to test between now and tomorrow morning, we may just be able to get the actual fix in before the official release. :)

Thanks all and happy testing. :)

I'll be home to start my testing in about 2hrs. I'm going to record the attempts and upload ones that error/crash to my Mega and I'll provide the link to it. Thanks for your concerted efforts!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thank you @johnugamer; yes I did see that. I believe that is being caused by VLC. Unfortunately I won't be fixing that one for 7.5; the issue is that as long as there is a video running, it's likely to prevent your computer from sleeping. Most video games won't allow your computer to sleep either. I don't consider this really a bug, though I do understand how it's annoying. The only way I can figure to fix it would be to time out after a while and stop playing all videos.

Thanks for responding so quickly. The weird thing is that Big Box will prevent sleep even if I'm on something like the platforms menu, where the view I use doesn't even have have any videos or background video playing.

@Jason Carr Oddly, I just figured out what the issue is. I had just entered in custom notes for all of those systems. The notes were at least 3 paragraphs long. I removed all the notes and everything loads as should now. That is something to watch out for on the CritcalZone and CityHunter themes. If the notes are too long it seems to take a second extra loading the system with transitions and makes it appear to lag. So in short, keep the notes down to the minimum amount of info to keep things moving smooth. 

Edited by keltoigael

Just now, johnugamer said:

Thanks for responding so quickly. The weird thing is that Big Box will prevent sleep even if I'm on something like the platforms menu, where the view I use doesn't even have have any videos or background video playing.

I'm guessing that it happens even if a video is paused. We noticed recently that VLC still does a lot of its processing while paused, so that might be it. Does it happen if you switch to using Windows Media Player as the video playback engine?

2 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

@Jason Carr Oddly, I just figured out what the issue is. I had just entered in custom notes for all of those systems. The notes were at least 3 paragraphs long. I removed all the notes and everything loads as should now. That is something to watch out for on the CritcalZone and CityHunter themes. If the notes are too long it seems to take a second extra loading the system with transitions and makes it appear to lag.

Ah, good find. Yes, I remember that now. Extra long scrolling notes can sometimes cause lag because of the text placement calculations; my solution for the default theme was to just set them to use a static percentage width, which resolved it performance-wise. @CriticalCid, we should work on that together to get that fixed for the CriticalZone themes. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Ah, good find. Yes, I remember that now. Extra long scrolling notes can sometimes cause lag because of the text placement calculations; my solution for the default theme was to just set them to use a static percentage width, which resolved it performance-wise. @CriticalCid, we should work on that together to get that fixed for the CriticalZone themes. :)

You guys are the master minds, I just make things pretty....sometimes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm guessing that it happens even if a video is paused. We noticed recently that VLC still does a lot of its processing while paused, so that might be it. Does it happen if you switch to using Windows Media Player as the video playback engine?

Hi Jason. Just tested again with Windows Media Player set as the playback engine and the same issue occurs. Just to clarify I attached my platform view below to explain what I was talking about. You mentioned that it most likely has to do with either a video playing or a paused video, but in my setup there is no video at all. I use the platform view without any videos, just images. Thanks again for your help.

bigboxplatform.png

@Jason Carr So the upload is underway to Mega, but it's about 6GBs so it'll take a bit to finish; I split it into 100MB chunks. I have attached the results of the testing (this is also included with the videos). Out of 10 attempts (5 with VLC and 5 with WMP), I managed to get a crash 9 times. I exclusively used my SNES category since I am 100% sure every game has a video and MP3 associated with it. The issue that came up during the third WMP test has never occurred before, so that is a new one. I'll post back once the videos are ready for download.

Test Results.docx

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Like 1