LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT I can't for the life of me reproduce those crashes. Can you test to see if you're still getting them if you switch to VLC? That would help clue me in to whether the problem is specific to WMP or not and would help in trying to hunt it down.

@Manuel Leiria Sadly I still can't reproduce that null reference error in LaunchBox either. Which video playback engine are you using in LaunchBox? Do you have auto-play videos enabled as well or just auto-play music?

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Manuel Leiria Sadly I still can't reproduce that null reference error in LaunchBox either. Which video playback engine are you using in LaunchBox? Do you have auto-play videos enabled as well or just auto-play music?

Unfortunately it happens with both VLC and WMP, and it happens when auto-play videos is enabled or disabled. Sorry that I can't be more specific on this. I don't have a way to do a recording, but if you'd like, I can try to steam stream the occurence when I get home.

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT I can't for the life of me reproduce those crashes. Can you test to see if you're still getting them if you switch to VLC? That would help clue me in to whether the problem is specific to WMP or not and would help in trying to hunt it down.

@Jason Carr Definitely! I'll do some checking with VLC tonight when I get home from work. The crashing is very random for me and mostly seems to happen in any SNES category. Never crashes in Platform View and never in LB either. Anyway, I'll spend a few hours trying to get something to happen with it tonight!

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I am in agreement with @shinra358 on the video issue of pausing and resuming. Although my system can handle it I am ok with the the game or platform video starting back over from the beginning of the video verses it pausing and resuming where the video left off when you exit back out from a game or platform. As long as the video starts back up automatically when exiting a game or exiting from the game list into the platforms list I am happy. On my system when exiting out of game the game video already starts back automatically from the beginning of the video. The only time I notice the pause and resume where the video left off is when exiting out of the games list back into the platforms list. I actually would prefer the platform video to start back automatically over from the beginning verses resuming where it left off when exiting from the games list. Maybe others can chime in and give opinion.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Manuel Leiria said:

Unfortunately it happens with both VLC and WMP, and it happens when auto-play videos is enabled or disabled. Sorry that I can't be more specific on this. I don't have a way to do a recording, but if you'd like, I can try to steam stream the occurence when I get home.

Well, that does help, because at least it means it has nothing to do with the videos. Have you noticed it happening with particular games? Or is it just completely random?

Also, do you have any m3u playlists in your music? Or are they all just mp3 files?

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also, do you have any m3u playlists in your music? Or are they all just mp3 files?

Completely random, as long as the games have a song. The mp3 files are loose as well, they are just named the same as the game they belong to.

EDIT: I just want to add that it's a specific event that triggers the crash. I'm sure it has to do with switching between games fast enough as not to trigger the playback. It's as if you are telling the playback device to play a song, and when that device asks which song, Launch Box says it doesn't know, since it's no longer in memory. It's just my hunch though.

Edited by Manuel Leiria
Adding details

13 minutes ago, Manuel Leiria said:

Completely random, as long as the games have a song. The mp3 files are loose as well, they are just named the same as the game they belong to.

Thanks. Again, sorry for the endless barrage of questions. When the error comes up, has the music OSD in the bottom right been updated to reflect the new track? Or does it still say what the previous track is? Does the previous track stop or keep playing while the error message is up? Does the new track play at all?

I'll just quote myself regarding that Steam banner issue.

On 6.1.2017 at 10:47 PM, CriticalCid said:

I just updated my Steam games in LaunchBox with my newly bought games and it seems that the image priorities feature somehow got broken for Steam games. Only all the Box - Front folders seem to work. Image categories like Steam Banner or Screenshots are getting completely ignored. It works fine for all of my other imported systems though.

7 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

I'll just quote myself regarding that Steam banner issue.

Thanks Cid. I'm still lost on it though since I can't seem to replicate it. What happens if you refresh the images? Can you check to confirm that all the image folders are correct under Tools > Manage Platforms?

I just experience a very strange issue. I deactivated everything in the “Box Front Priorities” except the Steam Banners to test it again. Then I refreshed the image cache but nothing has changed because LB loaded the Box - Front images instead of the Steam Banners. Same thing happens if I manually delete the Cache folder or prioritize any other image type over the Box - Front images.

After testing that, I have removed the whole “Box – Front” folder from the image folder of my WIndows platform and refreshed the cache again. Now it shows me only the “Fanart - Box – Front” images.

The folders are set correctly and it only happens for Steam games, all other platforms are working fine as you would expect it. My guess is that LB ignores my custom image priorities for Steam games and only uses the default priority settings for it.

EDIT: I just saw that the Steam Banners are activated for the Box Front Priorities by default as well. So it seems that for whatever reason LB only takes image types with "Box - Front" in the name into account for Steam games.

Edited by CriticalCid