LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, GreenGriffon said:

Parsing any list of thousands or tens of thousands of line items possibly from multiple different sources and attempting to compare them to a database trying to match each to a known entry, then return a list to you in a legible output format takes time. No way around that.

Let's not start getting unreasonable with our expectations here.

It's surely reasonable to take a long time I agree. But the interface could be improved, like a meaningful progress bar or at least a message saying this could take a very long time... 

• Like 1

Just now, ckp said:

It's surely reasonable to take a long time I agree. But the interface could be improved, like a meaningful progress bar or at least a message saying this could take a very long time... 

CPK, Jason practically just released the function 10 minutes ago.

Forgive me for saying this, but you're sounding a little demanding for minutiae, for something that really isn't crucial or key to the core functionality of the app.

I for one would rather Jason spent his time on more meaningful issues with the application than catering to people who for whatever reason can't be bothered to Alt-Tab out, or heaven forbid walk away from the computer to do something else for a bit while the process is underway.

Give the guy a break.

• Like 1

Yea, ckp and I were talking about this on the Discord server. It's ok to mess around with something, and report your findings. It took me 20-30 for my MAME games to load as well. Even though there is a lot of information there we have a MAME DAT file internally, so it is a bit different. We appreciate everyone's notes and criticisms as long as the person is not being a jerk. xD I think it's just a little bit of miscommunication going on here

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ckp said:

I actually suggested a percentage progress bar in the last developer live session and Jason thought it was a good idea.

I think Jason is finishing 7.5 and won't add new things for now. Hopefully he can come back to the auditing soon to make it better (but I think it's already very useful).

Edited by Norfair
  • Like 1

Frankly, I have already been using the Audit feature a lot recently. OFC, since it is new there are some missing features I would like that we all talked about on Wednesday but other than that, it is already very useful. Just being able to sort and exclude games you already know have a video for downloading those is a HUGE benefit. The audit scan takes a lot less time than the time it would take to have the media download wizard scan those hundreds or thousands of games that are already fully populated. SUPER cool.

Suggestions for future Audit functions that would make it ten thousand times better than it already is.

1. Custom columns or even just a search box so you can type what you want to sort by. Mainly for tags and such that are not already included in the audit feature, specifically useful for more obscure systems with unique tags. Amiga having (AGA) in the filename for example.
  2. Really need to be able to allow or disallow auditing the LB name OR the FileName.
  3. Ability to output an XML or RTF file with the results of the audit. This will keep me from having to rerun the audit multiple times or keep the audit window open while I search for certain missing media or data. I could just open it in notpad++ while browsing and such.
  4. Ability to run the audit while downloading media or metadata would be SUPER useful. This way, I could sort and do those kinds of things as it downloads media and such int he background.
  5. Need to be able to tell it not to close the audit window on edit unless the download process is actually started. I had a case where I can accidentally closed the media wizard and had to run the entire audit again rather than just restarting the wizard.

Again, this feature is totally badass and super useful but those are the things I would like to see so we can greatly increase it's usefulness even more and improve workflow. I am loving it so far in any event. Thanks Jason for all your hard work! :D

EDIT: Just thought this would be better to be a ticket so I copy pasted it there. If you guys would please vote for it, that would be super amazing since I kinda need a few of these sooner than later. :Phttps://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2335/suggestions-for-audit-feature

Edited by cammelspit
Made it a ticket too
  • Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, creamdonut said:

I'm not sure if there's a bug with VLC causing crashes, to be honest. I've been testing my setup with some consistency, and from the crashes I've been having I'd actually say my problems have been caused by automatic soundtrack playback.

What happens is if I select a game and then quickly select another one just as the tune starts playing, LaunchBox or Big Box will crash, trying to access something that's not really there. Now, it might have to do with the audio codec or it might have to do with how LB starts audio playback, I'm not sure.

What I'll try is a workaround, to use only the audio provided in the demo videos, or to do that manually, and try to see if my issue persists.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the crashes talked about might be related to this, but in my personal case, it seems to be audio related. Unfortunately, the error doesn't provide me with a proper stack trace. @Jason Carr, do you intend to implement a logging system? I guess it could make troubleshooting easier.

I also get the crashing using Windows Media Player. The crashing has only been a thing for me since the ability to have background MP3s was implemented. I have noticed that if I don't transition from one game to the next too quickly and sit at each game a couple of seconds, it will generally not crash on me. The only way I can consistently prevent BB from crashing is to either turn off background videos and only have music or turn off music and only have videos; the back-end player doesn't really seem to matter and seems it will crash more often the more music and videos you have for a particular platform. Example: SNES has roughly 225 games and all games have videos/music and BB will crash almost 100% of the time while scrolling the list (sometimes as soon as I load into the list and try to even scroll to the next game below/above it). However, Wii has 30 games and videos for everything, but I have only added music for 5 games so far and BB never crashes when scrolling it's list. I have also never had a crash when letting BB run in Attract Mode (even for SNES), which seems really weird to me.

It's been pretty frustrating because I want to use both options. :( 

I suppose I should also note that I'm not using full soundtracks or even multiple MP3s per game. Each game only gets one MP3 :).

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

2 hours ago, cammelspit said:

Ability to output an XML or RTF file with the results of the audit. This will keep me from having to rerun the audit multiple times or keep the audit window open while I search for certain missing media or data. I could just open it in notpad++ while browsing and such.

Export to .csv would be great!

16 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

However, Wii has 30 games and videos for everything, but I have only added music for 5 games so far and BB never crashes when scrolling it's list. I have also never had a crash when letting BB run in Attract Mode (even for SNES), which seems really weird to me.

It's been pretty frustrating because I want to use both options. :( 

I suppose I should also note that I'm not using full soundtracks or even multiple MP3s per game. Each game only gets one MP3 :).

Well, this is my take on this:

Attract mode works fine because once it selects a game, it scrolls directly to it, and doesn't actually register the games it's passing by for loading data (which makes complete sense in terms of performance).

As noted, it seems that for a crash to occur you need to scroll two items: if you scroll to the second item while it's still trying to fetch the audio and video for the first item you'll probably get a crash.

My system also only has one song per game, I recorded the title songs for the games. I'd like to point out that I've never had this issue with movies only, but I have so with audio only, and this bug occurs to me in Launchbox as well as in Big Box.

My workaround to this is to edit the videos to carry the audio in them, since videos haven't ever given me grief, either with VLC or WMP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, creamdonut said:

Well, this is my take on this:

Attract mode works fine because once it selects a game, it scrolls directly to it, and doesn't actually register the games it's passing by for loading data (which makes complete sense in terms of performance).

As noted, it seems that for a crash to occur you need to scroll two items: if you scroll to the second item while it's still trying to fetch the audio and video for the first item you'll probably get a crash.

My system also only has one song per game, I recorded the title songs for the games. I'd like to point out that I've never had this issue with movies only, but I have so with audio only, and this bug occurs to me in Launchbox as well as in Big Box.

My workaround to this is to edit the videos to carry the audio in them, since videos haven't ever given me grief, either with VLC or WMP.

I noticed encoding MP3s into the videos helped too... just a very time-consuming workaround. :) I've never had it crash in LB though, but that's a good idea for why Attract Mode doesn't cause any crashes. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon! :D

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

Thanks guys; I've noted all feedback and bugs and I'll be working on it all this week. A new beta is out that adds a proper progress bar to the audits, adds two new columns for background images and LaunchBox Games Database ID, and speeds up the audit process by splitting up the operation across all CPU cores. The audit process is by no means forever done, but I don't expect to make any more changes to it until some time after the 7.5 release (sans for bugs of course).

I also fixed a number of other bugs:

- Fixed: A null reference error was possible during ROM imports of multi-disc games

- Fixed: When editing platforms using the Manage Platforms tool, sometimes the video path was automatically getting set to the video path for a particular theme

- Fixed: Rare null reference error in Big Box when between views

- Fixed: Flip box wasn't always working correctly in Big Box wheel views

I do have more bugs on my list to fix, so I'll be taking a look at everything else soon. :)

• Like 5

Awesome work as always. The audit is looking very good. I know there are bugs to squash, but is there any timeframe on including an integrated document viewer? It's the only thing left I can think of that feels like a missing feature (well, and maybe an integrated way to download themes like the videos, but I don't want to sound too crazy).

@Jason Carr I got this error when I ran the audit one time but the next time I ran it it went fine. Great speed improvements!:)

Spoiler

Version 7.5-beta-4

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at ()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.RomFiles.PopulateFiles()
   at (String , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.RomFiles.GetNameByPlatformAndFileName(String platform, String fileName)
   at (String , Nullable`1 , String , Boolean )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Paths.GetTitleFromFileName(String path, Nullable`1 disc, String platform, Boolean folder)
   at (Game )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.Game.get_FileNameTitle()
   at (<>c__DisplayClass49_0 , Game )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.<>c__DisplayClass49_0.<PopulateRow>b__2(Game g)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Count[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at (AuditForm , Int32 , Game )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.PopulateRow(Int32 index, Game game)
   at (AuditForm , List`1 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.PopulateGridThreadRun(List`1 games)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass48_0 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<PopulateGrid>b__1()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Alright guys, new beta is out. I spent the majority of the day fixing the errors/freezes with the "prioritize music over video audio" stuff. It was a royal pain to figure out and fix but I think I finally have it all squared away. Those of you who use that feature, please test and let me know if it fixes any stability issues.

Also, in yesterday's beta there was an issue with imports where the application/ROM path was not always being set, which has been fixed in this beta as well.

Finally, this should fix @kmoney's reported error with the audits above.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, new beta is out. I spent the majority of the day fixing the errors/freezes with the "prioritize music over video audio" stuff. It was a royal pain to figure out and fix but I think I finally have it all squared away. Those of you who use that feature, please test and let me know if it fixes any stability issues.

I'm going to check and see and get back to you on this @Jason Carr. Thanks for your work!

• Like 1