LaunchBox Community Forums

20 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

Just tested it and you’re right. If you put the image in the fanart folder of the theme than it only shows up in the platform selection menu but not for games which don't have their own background image(s) . So I guess @Jason Carr has to look into that.

oh ok hopefully a fix is easy. but i dont understand how they show in jasons videos

8 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

It works fine when you put them in the general fanart folder of your platform:

".\LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\*PLATFORMNAME*\Fanart"

Only the theme specific fanart folder seems to not work right.

but in those folders  LB has already made several folders for images for different regions and theres lose images for different  games. should i name it something specific for that image the one lb uses.

Edited by ALIE

Is it possible to make a game view like this?

Game View Mockup.jpg

I can do mock-ups in Gimp but unfortunately I have no coding experience what so ever :( so this is beyond me.

Would be cool if the disc could be animated so its spinning, I don't know if this is possible in LauchBox though? :S

Edited by eProDarkAngel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, eProDarkAngel said:

Is it possible to make a game view like this?

Game View Mockup.jpg

I can do mock-ups in Gimp but unfortunately I have no coding experience what so ever :( so this is beyond me.

Would be cool if the disc could be animated so its spinning, I don't know if this is possible in LauchBox though? :S

Love that view 

Funny thing, in fact I already wanted to do something similar like that but currently there are some technical restrictions which prohibit me to realize the whole disc part as I would want it. Of course I could talk to Jason about implementing some of the stuff I would need for it but at the moment there are just too many other things for the theming engine I would like to see first. So unfortunately that won’t happen anytime soon, sorry.

5 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Funny thing, in fact I already wanted to do something similar like that but currently there are some technical restrictions which prohibit me to realize the whole disc part as I would want it. Of course I could talk to Jason about implementing some of the stuff I would need for it but at the moment there are just too many other things for the theming engine I would like to see first. So unfortunately that won’t happen anytime soon, sorry.

What about making the view without the CD spinning?

1 hour ago, eProDarkAngel said:

What about making the view without the CD spinning?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. I didn’t only meant the spinning thing, I also meant the whole concept of the box overlapping the disc.

Before I go into detail I just want to say that I really appreciate it that you took the time to create this mockup and that I really like it, especially how clean it looks. The only issue I personally have is the clear logo on the top left. I don’t see the point to feature it again when you already use it for the wheel. Alone in your mockup you can see the logo 4 times (with box and disc combined). With that said, unfortunately you can’t keep such a perfectly trimmed design if you want to make the view universal for all platforms (that’s what I try to achieve with CriticalZone).

One of the main problems is that you have all kinds of different aspect ratios for boxes when it comes to different platforms, so it would be really hard to find a compromise that looks good for most of them. That’s gonna be even harder if you take cartridges, diskettes, etc. in there as well. Like I’ve said, if I would add something like that I would want it to work for everything and not limit it to just the few disc based platforms. It just doesn’t look right when in some platforms the disc/cart is right beside the box and in other the box is hiding 90% of it. To solve that problem you either would have to completely separate the two media types from each other or manually optimize the view for every single platform; and I definitely won’t do the latter. The spinning disc is just a separate issue on top of all that.

Another problem that I’m seeing is that I’ve already modified all available horizontal wheel views, so I would have to replace one of them with it and that’s nothing I would really want or plan to do anytime soon. And to be completely honest: CriticalZone already has enough horizontal views as is.

So after telling you what I can’t do I say what I could do.

I still have 2 vertical wheel views left and I’m currently in the brainstorming process for CriticalZone v2. So I’m open for any ideas about that, just keep the universal platform approach in mind ;)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. I didn’t only meant the spinning thing, I also meant the whole concept of the box overlapping the disc.

Before I go into detail I just want to say that I really appreciate it that you took the time to create this mockup and that I really like it, especially how clean it looks. The only issue I personally have is the clear logo on the top left. I don’t see the point to feature it again when you already use it for the wheel. Alone in your mockup you can see the logo 4 times (with box and disc combined). With that said, unfortunately you can’t keep such a perfectly trimmed design if you want to make the view universal for all platforms (that’s what I try to achieve with CriticalZone).

One of the main problems is that you have all kinds of different aspect ratios for boxes when it comes to different platforms, so it would be really hard to find a compromise that looks good for most of them. That’s gonna be even harder if you take cartridges, diskettes, etc. in there as well. Like I’ve said, if I would add something like that I would want it to work for everything and not limit it to just the few disc based platforms. It just doesn’t look right when in some platforms the disc/cart is right beside the box and in other the box is hiding 90% of it. To solve that problem you either would have to completely separate the two media types from each other or manually optimize the view for every single platform; and I definitely won’t do the latter. The spinning disc is just a separate issue on top of all that.

Another problem that I’m seeing is that I’ve already modified all available horizontal wheel views, so I would have to replace one of them with it and that’s nothing I would really want or plan to do anytime soon. And to be completely honest: CriticalZone already has enough horizontal views as is.

So after telling you what I can’t do I say what I could do.

I still have 2 vertical wheel views left and I’m currently in the brainstorming process for CriticalZone v2. So I’m open for any ideas about that, just keep the universal platform approach in mind ;)

Sorry I meant scrap the CD idea all together for now as I didn't think the overlapping would be possible either as I haven't seen it done in the other themes, as for the clear logo I just put that there as a place holder as it looked empty. But I get what you mean about the different size box arts but that space on the left could accommodate all the different box art?

12 minutes ago, eProDarkAngel said:

... But I get what you mean about the different size box arts but that space on the left could accommodate all the different box art?

I don’t think so. There isn’t that much space on the left, just think of the differences between a SNES and PS2 case. And even if you would use the space it would look horrible. From a design standpoint you just don’t squeeze single elements directly on the border of the screen. That only works for elements that fill out the whole side like the wheel in your mock-up.

It’s also not just the boxes with different aspect ratios. You have all kinds of different cartridges across all platforms.

1 hour ago, Charco said:

As a vertical wheel user I am happy with this news ?

Haha good to know. If you have any wishes or suggestions let me know (I’m also open to rework some of the current views as well) ;)

Of course that offer is not only for you, I appreciate the input from everyone who wants to pitch me his ideas regarding CriticalZone 2.0. Just be aware that I see your suggestions more like an inspiration for me and therefore I can’t make any promises.

3 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Haha good to know. If you have any wishes or suggestions let me know (I’m also open to rework some of the current views as well) ;)

Of course that offer is not only for you, I appreciate the input from everyone who wants to pitch me his ideas regarding CriticalZone 2.0. Just be aware that I see your suggestions more like an inspiration for me and therefore I can’t make any promises.

I worked up a vertical wheel view that pops out and then hides to the left revealing fullscreen videos, and that is all. Very clean and makes great use of the game video recordings from hyperspin.

• Like 1

I worked up a vertical wheel view that pops out and then hides to the left revealing fullscreen videos, and that is all.

You mean you took my wheel fade code and just put it with the already existing background video....
And I believe Cid already has a platform view like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Grila

3 hours ago, Grila said:

You mean you took my wheel fade code and just put it with the already existing background video....
And I believe Cid already has a platform view like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow. Uh...yeah. No one taking credit for your hard work. I was simply recommending a view that he could add since it didn't exist before, to my knowledge.

No ill intentions here.

17 hours ago, igotdvds said:

I worked up a vertical wheel view that pops out and then hides to the left revealing fullscreen videos, and that is all. Very clean and makes great use of the game video recordings from hyperspin.

I'm interested in that, can you share the xaml ?

19 hours ago, igotdvds said:

This feature is already in CriticalZone.

What am I missing here?