LaunchBox Community Forums

Coverflow not smooth on powerful computer

Immortal Chortle

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Let me chime in here for a second and just share that yes, we are aware that CoverFlow performance is not ideal currently, even on some fairly fast machines. I apologize but I have not read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm just repeating people here. If you happen to be using the Windows Media Player video playback engine, you may find that VLC is much quicker and causes less performance issues with CoverFlow.

CoverFlow is smooth on high-end systems, but it is surprisingly taxing right now on video cards. The CPU definitely matters but not as much as the video card for the CoverFlow frame rates. I have this on my plate to address.

Gonna chime in here as well, I'm on a gtx770, pretty old school by todays standards, and the coverflow views can be a little weird to start (I have favorites shown first, but they are the last pictures to be shown). but give it a few secs and should be fine, couple of hitches here and there but pretty smooth overall. just need to be a little patient.

35 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Let me chime in here for a second and just share that yes, we are aware that CoverFlow performance is not ideal currently, even on some fairly fast machines. I apologize but I have not read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm just repeating people here. If you happen to be using the Windows Media Player video playback engine, you may find that VLC is much quicker and causes less performance issues with CoverFlow.

CoverFlow is smooth on high-end systems, but it is surprisingly taxing right now on video cards. The CPU definitely matters but not as much as the video card for the CoverFlow frame rates. I have this on my plate to address.

No apology necessary, and thank you for acknowledging.  Strangely, I have VLC set in my settings of BB, and none of the videos played before the last set of betas for me, because BB was still using WMP(I believe), but now the videos play.  I went routing through some BB config files and found a video player xml tag, but it stated "Windows Media Player" as my default video player.  I changed it to say "VLC", which could wrong, it could be VideoLan for all I know, but I did not see a difference.  This could be one problem I'm experiencing in Platform view.

12 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

2000 MB on my main system and 300 MB in my HTPC (only 2 gigs of ram).

Yeah thats weird, I have a intel nuc really low powered with 4gb ram, which runs slower than my 8inch Toshiba tablet with 2gb.

Edited by neil9000
toshiba tablet

Windows Media Player does have some video compatibility issues if you don't install some extra plugins. You can check on and change the video playback engine setting in Big Box under Options > Videos (rather than hunting through configuration files lol). VLC is highly recommended now though over WMP.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Windows Media Player does have some video compatibility issues if you don't install some extra plugins. You can check on and change the video playback engine setting in Big Box under Options > Videos (rather than hunting through configuration files lol). VLC is highly recommended now though over WMP.

Totally agree, and I probably wasnt clear enough, which is obviously my fault.  I changed the setting in the app, right where you specified, but while hunting through the config file for a perhaps special option I could change that might positively affect performance, I found in the config file, it had my defauly video play listed as Windows Media Player, which I thought was strange.

3 minutes ago, half-fast said:

Totally agree, and I probably wasnt clear enough, which is obviously my fault.  I changed the setting in the app, right where you specified, but while hunting through the config file for a perhaps special option I could change that might positively affect performance, I found in the config file, it had my defauly video play listed as Windows Media Player, which I thought was strange.

Which XML? The LaunchBox.xml (if you have one) is not used anymore and is likely outdated. All the XML's needed are in the Data folder now.

46 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

"BB Lite" would be the configuration I use on my HTPC. Standard view with text list with only boxart and screen shots with all transition effects turned off. Maybe an option to just set it to this with a single toggle would be nice.

I really like this Idea. A streamlined version for performance that would scream on good hardware.

Please tell me to go away if I'm a problem, but in regards to video playback, until yesterday when Jason fixed vlc. I used to switch to wmp myself. All the audio volumes I had changed in the settings do not seem to apply when using wmp. Is that on purpose? cause I would sometimes switch out and get blasted. lol

2 hours ago, half-fast said:

I'm all for figuring this out.   will post some screens later when I'm not on my Linux laptop.  I just find it hard to believe that, if LB/BB is indeed mostly cpu reliant, that with a fairly fresh copy of Windows 10, on an i5 6600K that runs @ 4.5 Ghz, that I could be having problems when my idle cpu usage sits between 0% and 7%.  My idle RAM sits usually around 2GB, out of 16GB.  I find it strange that apparently something is eating up my cpu cycles, causing BB to perform worse, but, my BF1 can run on maxed settings with Supersampling at 150% and I still avg 100fps.  Rainbow Six siege - no different.  I'm primarily a Linux developer, and I dont pretend to know much about Windows development, or the inner workings of LB/BB, for which I havent even looked into, but it seems like if BB isn't utilizing OpenGL for everything, it could really use it.  I'm not suggesting I know more or could fix BB, just a suggestion.

On one hand, I can totally understand and respect that the devs are saying from their experience that there must be something eating up cpu cycles ergo negatively affecting performance - I understand you can only test so many configuration, I've been there myself so I sympathize. On the other hand however, I have dozens of resource-demanding applications that run seamlessly(even mostly cpu-bound programs), even when I have several background tasks running, and BB is the only one that runs poorly ... literally.  Without benchmarking, I'd have to guess it runs between 15-30 fps, and gets a bit hung up upon changing screens and moving around swiftly.  

I'm one of those guys that turns off Windows services I don't need, and tweaks the system to get some better performance.  I have done that, but to be honest, these days, at least on my system, I don't see too much of a difference - normally only in startup time, as most less-common services seem to be set to manual or auto-triggered already anyway.

I don't even use LB/BB anymore, because it's such a nuisance.  I love the program, but starting to regret my purchase to be honest. I have games that have higher required specs, that run better on my quad core 1.8 Ghz laptop running Ubuntu 15.10.  Doesn't seem right.

I've got the same hardware configuration as you, except I have a Nvidia 780ti. At present my library sits around 29k and similar to Brad, I experience some micro stutters but that's about it. I forget what program it was several months ago that conflicted with LB. Jason had to email the company to rectify the problem, maybe it could be something like that, although you do say you did a clean install. Maybe it's something hardware related, who knows? Just flicking through the last couple of pages I see AMD cards being mentioned quite a bit, perhaps an AMD issue?

I hope you don't give up on LB/BB but it seems a rather frustrating situation for you.

Some services can be disabled to help if someone wants to really try and figure it out. I also recall most of our issues with other software being AV and Firewall related, but I don't remember this one exactly either.

With a fresh install, disabling some of the more annoying services (or un-needed services like the Printer Spooler for example), keeping it to the default Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, running IOBit's Driver Booster, the Standard K-Lite Codec Pack install, making sure all the pre-req gaming related software is downloaded (which can be grabbed from the Gaming Module of Driver Booster), and having Windows fully updated is the best starting point suggestion I can give to anyone. Most of all making sure every single one of your drivers are updated, and trust me, there are a ton you would never realize need updating.

Ok, I made some headway.  I couldnt understand what was going on.  I scanned the hard drive my installation of LB was on, and it was completely error free.  Out of frustration, I moved the folder to another drive, and it worked great.  I moved it back, and it worked fine again.  I can't easily explain this one, but I'll take it.  Working much better now.