LaunchBox Community Forums

Coverflow not smooth on powerful computer

Immortal Chortle

22 minutes ago, Immortal Chortle said:

Whatever you guys did on the most recent beta mostly fixed my issue. I get the tiniest amount of screen tearing on coverflow but the art deosnt skip the animation anymore and pop into existence like it used to. Please for the love of god dont undo what you did.

Hahaha. Great to hear @Immortal Chortle. Speak up and scream at me if any new beta messes it up. I did fix some related stuff in the last couple betas.

• 1 month later...

Any performance improvements coming Big Box way?  I had issues before, and they still linger.  Reformatted system for the last time, rid of the few errors in my Event Log created by the Anniversary update.  Updated drivers system wide.  Fairly powerful system here: 

CPU:  Intel i5 6600K @ 4.6 Ghz
GPU:  AMD R9 Fury X
RAM:  16 GB
Hard drives:  Both Samsung Evo SSDs

Everything on my system flies, except Big Box.  Coverflow performance is hurting with most settings on lower than should be.

Any ideas or new fixes anyone else has found?

Thanks in advance!

On 12/19/2016 at 4:26 PM, Peridot said:

Would it be possible to add an option to select where the cache folder is located? I have everything on a regular HDD so having Launchbox on my SSD is not possible due to space limitations. The ability to have only the cache folder on SSD would improve the performance quite a bit I think.

You can use a simple symbolic link using mklink command to redirect your current cache folder to any other drive like your SSD. I did that when I first started using LB, but I'll tell you it didn't make much difference over having it on an external usb 3.0 drive.

I'm not even sure what "Coverflow" means, but I use mostly the default BB settings for the look/appearance, with vertical platform wheel and game scrolling and using clear logos for game scrolling. I have Nyny's 1080p videos for my platform videos.

I have an i5 2500k, 8GB ram, msi 1070 video card, no antivirus type software running, Win 10 x64, ssd OS drive, internal Sata 3 5400 data drive where LB and games/images/videos are stored.

My system pretty much runs all cpu intensive games very well.

I have no noticeable performance problems with any app except LB/BB.

In BB, when I scroll through the platform wheel, it stutters pretty bad. I do not want to make my BB look ugly by changing settings from mostly default to making it look not so impressive (although I did change image quality to medium). I just want the platform wheel scrolling to be smoother. And moving from platform to platform and game to game inside regular LB could be better too.

My kids don't think BB works because when they press down on the xbox one controller to scroll through the platform wheel, it stutters. I have to tell them to move one platform at a time and very slowly. They don't like that.

I personally use the LB gui for myself (not BB), but BB is what I'd use to show guest and on the big TV. I'm kind of on the fence about showing BB to friends though because of the stutter scrolling problem. I wish the LB gui was faster all around, but at least I can live with it.

Funny thing is that Attract Mode looks cool and doesn't seem to have scrolling stutter problems. Just humans do, haha.

I need to look more at game wheel scrolling, which I'm not sure about because I always seem to be so hung up on the platform wheel scrolling but I do think the game wheel scrolls a bit better.

I'm assuming this has to be because of the videos loading and maybe the recent/favorite game lists in each platform view. 

I haven't messed a whole lot wth BB performance yet, so I plan to start having a look at some settings I might be able to try , but still keeping things looking "wow factor".

@ckp maybe try a lighter theme and see if performance is any better, you have a similarly specced Pc to me, I have a slightly newer cpu, you have a much better gpu than be though and I run 16gb of ram, performance is fine for me. I did use to get wheel stutter myself, but hasn't been a issue for me for a long time now.