LaunchBox Community Forums

Coverflow not smooth on powerful computer

Immortal Chortle

4 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

I hope there a way to gain back some performance in Windows 7.

I am quite sure I am not alone in my opinion that people do not want to be "upgrading" to Windows 10 with all of its bullshit.

To be honest, if someone has done that much research to know some of it's quirks exist, they equally know how to disable them. There's only 1 or 2 things off the top of my head that I had to disable that were annoying, like P2P sharing Windows Updates. The upgrade is also not free anymore, so if someone buys it they should have no issues re-installing when need be. Also, to a certain extent, there is nothing to be done directly about the performance increase because some of the performance increases are directly tied to the OS upgrade it's self. There will be more that could be done, but that inherent increase we're talking about can't be replicated but it can't be ignored.

I am simply saying to not ignore the Windows 7 and 8 users who do not want to upgrade to Windows 10 for a variety of reasons. I am sure a great number of people are installing Launchbox on older systems just for the purposes of an arcade cabinet or couch console and needing to upgrade to Windows 10 just for some performance gains in Launchbox is not something they will look forward to. My main gaming rig one day will get Windows 10 but my HTPC will never go beyond 32 bit Windows 7, the hardware just isn't there for anything beyond that.

It will just come across as very odd and in some cases insulting to people that the frontend will have higher system requirements than the emulators they want to run on their systems. Launchbox is already perceived as a very system heavy and slow frontend and if it ever reached the point that people will need Windows 10 to achieve the performance levels expected out of a frontend it will not be a good thing.

I may not know much about programming but I know as an end user that unless Launchbox is using Direct X 12 for GPU hardware acceleration for its performance there really shouldn't be that big of a performance gap from Windows 7 to 10. I understand that eventually one day support for Windows 7 and 8 will have to be dropped just like XP and Vista got dropped but right now the bulk of the users out there are using 7 and 8, 10 is still in the minority.

Still though I don't think people will appreciate spending over 100$ for Windows 10 when they either don't want to or need to just to get better performance from Launchbox when it shouldn't be necessary. Like I said previously I do understand that at some point it will be inevitable to move on like it was for XP and Vista but that time is not here yet for Win 7 and 8.

I have stated earlier I have no performance issues on my systems using Win 7 32 bit and Win 8.1 64 bit. I just really would hate to see the generic go to response to performance issues to become "install Windows 10" at this point in time.

No I'm not commenting on the economics of it just that I've seen it and Windows 8 before improve performance on older hardware I have  a Dell Vista Laptop from 07 and it isn't a beast by an standards but it is a solid laptop for streaming browsing it has 4GB of RAM and  64bit processor which I upgraded to the T8300 for like $15 (only Laptop I ever saw with a upgradeable CPU) it handles Windows 10 like one of those 90 year old runners you see at events

Hi! Same problem here.

I see that people with performance issues in coverflow have Nvidia Cards. My PC: Windows 10 pro 64, i7 3770, 16GB ram DDR3, 2x 780GTX SLI.

I turn SLI off and my performance has improved 50% but stills laggy sometimes, more buggy when turn next cover slow, when i tries full speed turn next cover it is more fast.

I just downloaded and installed latest Nvidia drivers but i dont see any improve.

I hope this issue can be solved!

Thanks!!

(My Big Box version is 7.0 last release -last friday- I'am new customer.)

Edited by crack__19

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks guys; we will get back to the rendering performance soon. I don't think it has much to do with nVidia vs. AMD. @ALIE, yes, something like that could be done. It really only applies the first time you load the images up, but I agree that we need to do a better job of caching them in the background.

I would love a feature like that.  let LB do it's thing while out and then coming home to the job being done.   Would be very cool  

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks guys; we will get back to the rendering performance soon. I don't think it has much to do with nVidia vs. AMD. @ALIE, yes, something like that could be done. It really only applies the first time you load the images up, but I agree that we need to do a better job of caching them in the background.

That would be awesome!

• Like 1

Would it be possible to add an option to select where the cache folder is located? I have everything on a regular HDD so having Launchbox on my SSD is not possible due to space limitations. The ability to have only the cache folder on SSD would improve the performance quite a bit I think.

Edited by Peridot
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...