LaunchBox Community Forums

7.8-beta-11 Released

Jason Carr

Alright guys, beta 11 is finally out. Playlists now have custom sorting options out the wazoo, for top lists and such. This will now allow you to change the way things are sorted in Big Box as well, if only for playlists.

Also new for this release is populating the arcade playlists. There's an option to create them on MAME imports, as well as do it for existing collections from the Tools menu (Create Missing Arcade/MAME Playlists). This was requested quite a bit, so I just went ahead and built an automatic method in for existing collection as well.

I still have not been able to fix the lousy sidebar sorting bugs, so that is next on my plate. I need to go back and review, but I believe most everything new is done for this release, so I'll be focusing on bugs going forward. Thanks all, let me know how testing goes. :)

• Like 6

This sounds Awesome (you know you have watched to much @SIMPLY AUSTIN when you says awesome with an accent ?. 

A couple of questions @Jason Carrif you don't mind.  Using the switch to see playlists in big box,  will those new arcade playlists if added to the normal console list also show in the only playlists view? .  Because I think I would want to keep the only playlists view just those mix Goodie bags.

Also the mame playlists generated will the games stay in the overall Mame platform?..

Anyway AWSOME work as always very exciting. 

Edit: switching works on controller although I wish the D - pad  could be mapped on the 360.  

But my Big Box is still unusable slow and choppy it's  probably my aging PC's fault but it crashes with a report constantly so not sure?.  Anyway I have made another bug report since I wasn't sure if it was similar to the last. 

Edited by ALIE

This may be a silly question, but I don't see anywhere to put clear logos for the arcade playlist launchbox just created for me. Is there supposed to be a playlist folder in the image folder? If I just create one will launchbox pull from it?

Edit.

Ok so creating a folder does work. So now I have to create 13 more folders in the playlist folder, then create a clear logo folder in each one of those......bit of a pain. Oh well here goes. Oversight or bug? @Jason Carr 

Edit 2.

After creating the playlist folder and closing and reopening launchbox it has auto created the folders I need. So might be a bug in creating a playlist folder after initially creating playlists, I did close and open launchbox when I created the playlists but the playlist folder was not created.  

Edited by neil9000

Ok so everything seems to be working well. Quick Rockletlauncher question...

When I created my own playlists from scratch, they show up in RocketLauncher as platforms - this is a good thing because I can add fade, bezel, etc...

The auto created playlists for arcade, like capcom classics, arcade classics, etc... do not show up as platforms in RocketLauncher. They all launch using the bezel and fade for Arcade. 

Anyone know how i can change this? Obviously not a huge deal.

@Jason Carr Awesome update on all the added playlist features!! I like to have some of my playlist in my main BigBox wheel like all the Arcade Classics platforms such as Atari Classics, Capcom Classics and etc. which I currently have. The question I have is, I would like to have all those Classics platforms in alphabetical order on my main wheel first and then move onto the console platforms listed on the main wheel so it would look something like this on my wheel:

Taito Classics

Williams Classics       (both of these Classics platforms being the last 2)

Atari 2600                   (first of the console platforms)

Atari 5200

What would be the easiest method for how to make this happen with the sort title option or can this not be done yet? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this sort title option but it might be because of the current bug with it.

1 hour ago, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr Awesome update on all the added playlist features!! I like to have some of my playlist in my main BigBox wheel like all the Arcade Classics platforms such as Atari Classics, Capcom Classics and etc. which I currently have. The question I have is, I would like to have all those Classics platforms in alphabetical order on my main wheel first and then move onto the console platforms listed on the main wheel so it would look something like this on my wheel:

Taito Classics

Williams Classics       (both of these Classics platforms being the last 2)

Atari 2600                   (first of the console platforms)

Atari 5200

What would be the easiest method for how to make this happen with the sort title option or can this not be done yet? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this sort title option but it might be because of the current bug with it.

I don't think there is a quick easy way. I think you will need to edit each platform's sort by.. So you go manage platforms then under the "sort title" you would update it. But for some reason these new playlists don't show up in platforms so you need to go to playlist view and edit the same thing there.

What i did was "arcade 01" then "Arcade 02" and so on. This will keep then in any order i want. The 0 is important if you get to double digits, otherwise the sorting is out of wack.

Edited by angelobodetti
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr Can we get nested folders for platforms in BigBox? I'd love to hide all playlists of consoles in their own menus in BigBox

BigBox show only Arcade / Computer / Consoles / Handheds / Playlists

Then have sub folders of each of those and show respective platforms.

Just tried out the manual playlist sorting, which works well once its set up. The UI for actually sorting them is kind of painful though. For example, I have an "IGN Top 100 SNES Games" playlist, and clicking the up and down arrows to move each item one position at a time would take forever. I ended up editing the XML by hand to just type in the manual order numbers, which is error prone (very easy to accidentally delete a bracket, for example). Perhaps that number should be editable in the UI? Also, it would be nice if the list auto scrolled to keep the selected item in view when move up/down was clicked. Move to top/bottom buttons might also be helpful.

Once in BigBox, the manually sorted list works, but there's no way to tell what part of the list I'm looking at. It would be nice if the list index was exposed to themes - possibly also an indication of the playlist being manually sorted - so that it could be displayed to the user. Ideally I'd like to display something like "List Position: #26", but preferably only for things in a top list.

Another minor thing is that there seems to be no way to use the manual order in List View inside LaunchBox. It appears to only apply to the Images View.

Edited by prolecat
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DR9 said:

@Jason Carr Can we get nested folders for platforms in BigBox? I'd love to hide all playlists of consoles in their own menus in BigBox

BigBox show only Arcade / Computer / Consoles / Handheds / Playlists

Then have sub folders of each of those and show respective platforms.

I submitted a ticket for this feature a week or so ago. With the new arcade playlists I'm up to 80+ systems which is cumbersome to work through in big box. I recommend another view that could also have Wheel art and videos. It would be 4 choices (Arcade, Handheld, Console, Playlist) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prolecat said:

Just tried out the manual playlist sorting, which works well once its set up. The UI for actually sorting them is kind of painful though. For example, I have an "IGN Top 100 SNES Games" playlist, and clicking the up and down arrows to move each item one position at a time would take forever. I ended up editing the XML by hand to just type in the manual order numbers, which is error prone (very easy to accidentally delete a bracket, for example). Perhaps that number should be editable in the UI? Also, it would be nice if the list auto scrolled to keep the selected item in view when move up/down was clicked. Move to top/bottom buttons might also be helpful.

Once in BigBox, the manually sorted list works, but there's no way to tell what part of the list I'm looking at. It would be nice if the list index was exposed to themes - possibly also an indication of the playlist being manually sorted - so that it could be displayed to the user. Ideally I'd like to display something like "List Position: #26", but preferably only for things in a top list.

Another minor thing is that there seems to be no way to use the manual order in List View inside LaunchBox. It appears to only apply to the Images View.

Great suggestions! I agree with everything.

Looks like it was my F Up :) i must have missed a driver update somehow.  i tried one of those driver update scanners and i got 3 missing, hunted them down and things seems to be working now. at least the message isnt pooping up and big box seems smoother.  time to push launchbox attract mode should do the trick.

2 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

Sorry guys, this is probably a silly question. How do I delete a playlist once it's created?

I was going to just delete all of the games in one of the Arcade playlists, but was worried that it would also delete the games from my Arcade platform as well.

There is a playlist folder in the data folder.