LaunchBox Community Forums

7.10-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

And our first 7.10 beta is finally here! Changes so far:

- Improvement: LaunchBox and Big Box updates are now downloaded automatically in the background so you don't have to wait for them; this can be disabled under Options > General > Updates in LaunchBox (PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS WILL ONLY APPLY TO THE NEXT UPDATE, NOT THIS UPDATE)

- Improvement: CRC checks are now used to eliminate duplicate images when downloading from the LaunchBox Games Database or EmuMovies on imports and metadata/media updates

I am planning to tweak the clean up images process to eliminate existing duplicate images as well, but this isn't done yet. There are several minor theme additions to this beta as well by request from @CriticalCid; I still have plans to get back to tweaks for themes again here soon. Cid, unfortunately I have not yet gotten the video swapping to work.

Tomorrow I'm planning to focus on ExoDOS @eXo, and then I'll be back on the cleaning up images thing. :)

• Like 14

any way to have it prioritize Launchbox DB? and if the image does not exist then try emumovies? because even with CRC launchbox and emumovies many times have different images for the same image type then you end up with two box front etc

Hi @Jason Carr, a few questions about the CRC check:

• I downloaded a new image set for a platform, I noticed that the downloaded images are repeated, for example, now I have three different boxes for the same game (from DB and emumovies), the images are different, also the CRC, and their are named ad  "1st Division Manager.55c7e3c1-d7e6-4228-bd40-a373cfb3016b-01" , etc... Before I think LB only downloaded one image for each of the category
  • The improvement only check if you have an image with the same CRC or check that the CRC of the game are the same that the linked image in the DB?
Edited by flores9

Just a thought... Couldn't duplication of images be minimised by limiting certain artwork types to only one image? Eg covers, media,title, game over, clear logo etc. If a user wants to change the artwork of a particular category all available artwork for that category is shown, and the user can select which one they want? (Like what Kodi does). Multiple art for some catergories like fanart etc has benefit from multiple image, but I don't see much point in, for example, having multiple covers

Edited by teeedubb

33 minutes ago, teeedubb said:

Just a thought... Couldn't duplication of images be minimised by limiting certain artwork types to only one image? Eg covers, media,title, game over, clear logo etc. If a user wants to change the artwork of a particular category all available artwork for that category is shown, and the user can select which one they want? (Like what Kodi does). Multiple art for some catergories like fanart etc has benefit from multiple image, but I don't see much point in, for example, having multiple covers

Maybe if you have multiple versions of the rom in different regions ?

Yeah I should have mentioned that scenario, but doesnt LB already cater for this?

/LaunchBox/Images/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Box - Front $ 
Brazil/               Japan/                United Kingdom/
Europe/               North America/        United States/
France/               North America, Japan/
Germany/              Spain/

Edited by teeedubb

On 4/26/2017 at 3:39 PM, emko said:

any way to have it prioritize Launchbox DB? and if the image does not exist then try emumovies? because even with CRC launchbox and emumovies many times have different images for the same image type then you end up with two box front etc

Currently, no, though that would be nice, agreed. But that will have to wait until a later date probably, since we were focused on CRC checks and identical images for this go around.

On 4/27/2017 at 1:17 AM, flores9 said:

Hi @Jason Carr, a few questions about the CRC check:

• I downloaded a new image set for a platform, I noticed that the downloaded images are repeated, for example, now I have three different boxes for the same game (from DB and emumovies), the images are different, also the CRC, and their are named ad  "1st Division Manager.55c7e3c1-d7e6-4228-bd40-a373cfb3016b-01" , etc... Before I think LB only downloaded one image for each of the category
  • The improvement only check if you have an image with the same CRC or check that the CRC of the game are the same that the linked image in the DB?

The images with big long GUID-based strings (55c7e3c1...) are the result of having more than one game in your platform with the same title. In that case, the game ID is appended to the file name so it can be mapped correctly. The duplicate images you're seeing there are because you have several games in your collection with the same title. Individual games have to have separate images with the current way things are set up, otherwise we'll run into a ton of problems. The CRC checks only look for duplicates within a single game.

On 4/27/2017 at 7:44 AM, Sir BLaDE said:

@Jason CarrThx for the new beta, btw can you put the systems Mega-Tech and Mega play like optionals in the mame importer? same as play choice.

Create a BitBucket ticket for that if you can, @Sir BLaDE. It's a major pain because we'd have to get a bunch of new data for it, but hopefully we can look into it the next time we update the MAME metadata.

• Like 1