LaunchBox Community Forums

Which emulator are you using for MAME

angelobodetti

Might be bit offtopic but, i have learned rocketlauncher and figured out mame contains following systems Atari Classics, Capcom Classics, Konami Classics, Nintendo Classics,Sega Classics, Namco Classics, SNK Classics, Taito Classics, Williams Classics, Midway Classics

Was looking like bastard for these and found demul finalburn winkawaks naomi - are these the same like 185? 

Is there any other systems in hyperspin mame is connected to?

Edited by Zeaede

I have no info to give you about HS, but MAME covers quite a lot of Arcade platforms, that's why when you import your MAME set there's the option to create playlists and you get all those playlists. It's for people who like them separated. None of those emulators do what MAME can't. FBA is the only one that people still love to use for NeoGeo, and it can help with lower end machines, but otherwise MAME is just fine. There are only 2 or 3 systems not in the MAME set, they are different, and there for MAME doesn't have anything to do with them. Taito Type X are just PC games and Sega Model 3 is Arcade, but not in MAME and requires Supermodel 3.

Wait they are? Have I just been missing this? xD Hey, I'm human too. I thought they weren't included, but I might have gotten that confused with the unplayable flag. Or thought to myself, they are unplayable, so they're not in the set. So they are there, and you're saying a script to pull them out like for DEMUL is a good idea? I'll keep an eye out. ;)

I've only just started messing with emulation in general so take anything I say with a pinch of salt as it could easily be user error. I spent a while messing about with mame on retroarch while I cant remember which  some roms crashed RA when trying to load on some mame cores and not other, whereas all the same roms worked in standalone mame 0.185. With what I am assuming is the most recent core (the one with no number) some games also seem to have audio problems that they dont have in other cores or standalone. One I remember specifically is X-men arcade. There is some crackling in the intro and the music sounds almost midi like is the nearest I can think of but its not quite that. The problem I found with the older cores in RA is that they didn't remember things. For example loading a CPS3 game it would say new CD inserted every time you run the game. I finally decided the best option was to hi-score/no-nag patch regular mame.

I was using MAME in RetroArch, but switched to actual MAME due to things like vector games not being handled properly in RetroArch. That said, I can't get my controllers to work properly with the real MAME program whereas with RetroArch they "just worked" so I may end up having to switch back. Also most shaders are broken on real MAME on Linux.

I haven't tried a controller with standalone mame yet as I'm just at the stage of making sure files work. But it'd have to be pretty insurmountable a problem for me to go back to the RA mame cores since it just doesn't run some games right, at least not for me. I also haven't tried it since the 1.6 update. Also I'm on windows which should make troubleshooting somewhat easier if I need to find help.

I thought I had read about at some point that the shaders in the Retroarch do not automatically switch to the correct orientation for the MAME core between vertical and horizontal games. I wonder if this issue ever got fixed because that would be a deal breaker for me for not using the Retroarch MAME core?