LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox

faeran

Hi @faeran. I finished right now: a raw Windows 10 installation ; LaunchBox / BigbBox installation ; added some platforms ;  then entered BigBox and installed CoverBox v3, I selected it and added a button to change views, then i exited and entered again BigBox to make sure the BigBox assumed my selections.

On the plataform menus i can change a total of  only 3 types of view.

On the games list menu i can only see 1 type of view (the text list).

My confusion is... since this installation is as raw as it can be, what am i missing? Shouldn't i been able to see more views in this v3?

Edited by Sanctus
quote person name

7 minutes ago, Sanctus said:

Hi @faeran. I finished right now: a raw Windows 10 installation ; LaunchBox / BigbBox installation ; added some platforms ;  then entered BigBox and installed CoverBox v3, I selected it and added a button to change views, then i exited and entered again BigBox to make sure the BigBox assumed my selections.

On the plataform menus i can change a total of  only 3 types of view.

On the games list menu i can only see 1 type of view (the text list).

My confusion is... since this installation is as raw as it can be, what am i missing? Shouldn't i been able to see more views in this v3?

CoverBox is strictly a text list view theme. It's just that I've created customized text list views for many platforms. So, if you have imported the NES, then it should automatically use the NES specific text list view. If you imported Sega Master System, it would use that text list view (and so forth...).

You can see a full list of platform specific text list views that I have created on its download page.

Just remember that themes don't include video snaps, or game specific images/logos. That is all downloadable in LaunchBox. The theme itself is just a layout which uses the assets you download in LaunchBox.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:16 PM, faeran said:

I've actually been working secretly on a major update to this theme. It will include 2 extra platform views, changes to existing game views, and a bunch of new game views, including the Famicom Disk System. Here's a sneak peak of the disk system theme.1532978088_NintendoFamicomDiskSystem.thumb.png.20940a289864e6063ccf60ba8905dafc.png

@faeran  You are a scholar, and a saint.  Thank you for all that you do.

Awesome work on the CoverBox themes @faeran - I use the CoverBox game views with the Retrotastic platform views and is a real pleasure simply to flip through platforms and games!

I have a small issue with my Game Boy game view. I can't seem to figure out why the game titles are in a standard font, rather than the theme-appropriate pixelated gray font - see below. Any advice on what I should tweak to fix it?

image.thumb.png.f2cb230c1c6613f27cd37c9a7540341d.png

Just updated to the latest version of CoverBox. I love the new FCDS theme, but my game list font is white against the theme's white background - see below. I cannot seem to locate the spot to get it changed to black.

image.thumb.png.e0bc9ba4b2032000f362b05c0a3e8b4c.png

Edited by L3X3CU710N3R

@s9jaguar  To get rid of the scanline effect on the videos, just rename the file scanlines.png to something else (such as scanlines.png.old), which is located in the CoverBox\Images\Theme folder.  This will remove that effect from the videos while not crashing the theme.  Not sure if any other effect is in place though, or how to edit those... but what I mentioned here will remove the scanline effect anyway :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, L3X3CU710N3R said:

Awesome work on the CoverBox themes @faeran - I use the CoverBox game views with the Retrotastic platform views and is a real pleasure simply to flip through platforms and games!

I have a small issue with my Game Boy game view. I can't seem to figure out why the game titles are in a standard font, rather than the theme-appropriate pixelated gray font - see below. Any advice on what I should tweak to fix it?

image.thumb.png.f2cb230c1c6613f27cd37c9a7540341d.png

Just updated to the latest version of CoverBox. I love the new FCDS theme, but my game list font is white against the theme's white background - see below. I cannot seem to locate the spot to get it changed to black.

image.thumb.png.e0bc9ba4b2032000f362b05c0a3e8b4c.png

It's possible that you didn't unblock the plugins.

I would delete the entire Coverbox folder and download it via the BigBox theme manager. The theme manager will automatically unblock any plugins. You will also make sure you aren't making a mistake when manually trying to update this theme.

Let me know if that works.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, faeran said:

It's possible that you didn't unblock the plugins.

I would delete the entire Coverbox folder and download it via the BigBox theme manager. The theme manager will automatically unblock any plugins. You will also make sure you aren't making a mistake when manually trying to update this theme.

Let me know if that works.

I did use the theme manager from within BigBox when I updated CoverBox (and for initial installation), but I will delete the folder and reinstall to see if that works.

@faeran No dice after a clean install from within BigBox. My platform names do not match the platform names used by CoverBox, so I have to change image folder names and "TextGameView" XAML files so they match my set up. Is it possible the correct fonts are being applied from some other file that is using a default platform name?

A while back I found a set of platform clear logos with device images. I really like using them on the platform wheel for a CoverBox/Retrotastic theme.

image.thumb.png.356cadf8a8804ef12f252b50b5482dfb.png

Edited by L3X3CU710N3R

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure now if this needed a new topic but:

Aside from Coverbox being super awesome, I just cannot get the Sega Megadrive platform to apply the cool blue theme I see in the videos for the theme. Instead I get a generic black screen with purple text. What can I do to fix? I've ensured the platform / emulator name etc are all "Sega Megadrive". I installed it inside the BigBox using the theme manager. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling from there, no luck.

Here's what im looking at

37 minutes ago, NOMAD0P said:

Not sure now if this needed a new topic but:

Aside from Coverbox being super awesome, I just cannot get the Sega Megadrive platform to apply the cool blue theme I see in the videos for the theme. Instead I get a generic black screen with purple text. What can I do to fix? I've ensured the platform / emulator name etc are all "Sega Megadrive". I installed it inside the BigBox using the theme manager. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling from there, no luck.

Here's what im looking at

Hi @NOMAD0P. The way this theme works is it tries to match the name of your platform to a couple files within the theme's directories. It's trying to find "Sega Mega Drive" so it doesn't match your "Sega Megadrive" and instead displays the default view.

You have 2 options:

• You can rename your platform in LaunchBox to "Sega Mega Drive"
  • You can change the names of the 2 files within the theme to match your platform name. They are located in:
    • LAUNCHBOX\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextGamesView
    • LAUNCHBOX\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextListView

Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, faeran said:

Hi @NOMAD0P. The way this theme works is it tries to match the name of your platform to a couple files within the theme's directories. It's trying to find "Sega Mega Drive" so it doesn't match your "Sega Megadrive" and instead displays the default view.

You have 2 options:

• You can rename your platform in LaunchBox to "Sega Mega Drive"
  • You can change the names of the 2 files within the theme to match your platform name. They are located in:
    • LAUNCHBOX\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextGamesView
    • LAUNCHBOX\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextListView

Hope this helps.

Ah yes, crazy how a single space caused the issue lol. All fixed, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

yo @faeran sick theme, just got bb/emumovies and rly like it. I installed it from the theme manager inside of big box, and I was wondering how to make it look exactly like u have in ur youtube vids. When I use it on a clean install of everything and just ps1 roms imported with retroarch, I figured out that I dont have any platform theme videos installed. I know u have a cool vid of n64 that has a video and music playing on ur youtube and was wondering

1. which platform theme vids u use from the launchbox download thing? Currently it just plays a video for a random game for me. Im trying to mess around with options but not sure

I notice that the CoverBox/Images/Platforms/Fanart has a ton of these pics for platforms! But I just checked and dont see them anywhere when i use the theme and click play a game. 

2. Are there settings that I should be changing in bigbox to make these show up? maybe you could take a quick pic of ur settings for me or lmk what these are for :)

Edited by paupular

13 minutes ago, paupular said:

yo @faeran sick theme, just got bb/emumovies and rly like it. I installed it from the theme manager inside of big box, and I was wondering how to make it look exactly like u have in ur youtube vids. When I use it on a clean install of everything and just ps1 roms imported with retroarch, I figured out that I dont have any platform theme videos installed. I know u have a cool vid of n64 that has a video and music playing on ur youtube and was wondering

1. which platform theme vids u use from the launchbox download thing? 

I notice that the CoverBox/Images/Platforms/Fanart has a ton of these pics for platforms! But I just checked and dont see them anywhere when i use the theme and click play a game. 

2. Are there settings that I should be changing in bigbox to make these show up? maybe you could take a quick pic of ur settings for me or lmk what these are for :)

Thanks @paupular.

1. I mostly use the standard Big Box Cinematix theme videos that you can download from LaunchBox.

2. Those are used for platformview2 and platformwheel3. you can set a keyboard/controller key to cycle through the different views and pick the one that you like.

• Thanks 1

Hi, first I would like to thank you for this amazing theme, now I'll ask for this specific themes now that these emulators are getting better, an now that big box is my main front end for all my games including pc, 

-turbo grafx cd

-Nintendo super Famicom 

-Nintendo switch 

-Sony Playstation 3

-Microsoft Xbox 360

-windows pc games

I know that you're working on 2 new platform themes but please make these so I can see my game collection great I know that I'm asking too much

Thanks! 

Edited by DragoonDemon4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, pofo14 said:

Is there a way to use Coverbox for all platforms except Arcade?

Also what platform videos do you guys use along with CoverBox?

I am not right at my system right now but yes you can set a different theme for each platform as well as the main menu. You can set a button in the settings to change theme and change view and these changes are made independently instead of changing the entire theme. Just go inside the platform you would like and hit one of the buttons you set to either change view or change the theme for that platform entirely. My current setup by memory is 

main menu > BannerBox

Platforms except arcade > Coverbox

Arcade > Unified Redux

Edited by slickrickstyles