LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox - Select Random Game Feature fixed by "Wheel Spin"

FreeSoftwareServers

@Grila First let me say Awesome Job! I did a trial installation today and here is my findings.

1st, in the image in your installation doc's you cut out the top </GRID> tag, this will likely confuse most people and they will get the following Error:

"The Grid start tag on line X position Y does not match the end tag of 'Canvas'." 

503224661_BBRGError.thumb.png.cf330e7da88bd11c36c88f67f914fd84.png

2nd, the font is ultra tiny in my setup, but not seen in others screen shots.

1849568286_WiiU_TestShot.thumb.png.4ff9ee124516d5028f5729c8d40be72d.png3rd, I use a horizontal wheel so holding left/right results in platform switching. I tested and it consistently works where like above, I was on Wii when I held right. (Solution: somehow see if view is horizontal/vertical and switch L/R for U/D)? Or have more API Keys made available to you like you mentioned @Jason Carr adding to base code.

Last is really a "install tips" I would add, which is you can find your default view via

Esc >> Options >> Theme >> Views 

"Default Startup" = Platforms
Platforms List View = Platform Wheel 1

And here is the code snippet I would have added in the image for how to setup. Eg:

<Image Source=*******/>
            </Grid>
        </Grid>
        <Grid Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}">
            <bbrgs:RGSv2_0 HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center"/>
        </Grid>
    </Canvas>

----Update-----

After further testing, in the image above, you can see it says "Nintendo Wii", but it's on the "Nintendo Wii U" platform. Well the playmodes seem to be related to the "Nintendo Wii" but selecting a playmode brings me a random "Nintendo Wii U" Game based on the platform selected in the background. My issues are clearly related to the fact I use a horizontal wheel. I could think of a solution like declaring the platform in the beginning of the code, but I think there would be better ways like fixing the LR hotkey combo so the platform doesn't change when I hold the hotkey. In its current state its 100% usable, I just had to learn the quirks, but I just wanted to give my feedback from testing. Thanks again for the awesome coding job and really listing to and implementing feedback. It's like nothing I have ever seen.

Edited by FreeSoftwareServers

5 hours ago, FreeSoftwareServers said:

@Grila First let me say Awesome Job! I did a trial installation today and here is my findings.

1st, in the image in your installation doc's you cut out the top </GRID> tag, this will likely confuse most people and they will get the following Error:

"The Grid start tag on line X position Y does not match the end tag of 'Canvas'." 

503224661_BBRGError.thumb.png.cf330e7da88bd11c36c88f67f914fd84.png

2nd, the font is ultra tiny in my setup, but not seen in others screen shots.

1849568286_WiiU_TestShot.thumb.png.4ff9ee124516d5028f5729c8d40be72d.png3rd, I use a horizontal wheel so holding left/right results in platform switching. I tested and it consistently works where like above, I was on Wii when I held right. (Solution: somehow see if view is horizontal/vertical and switch L/R for U/D)? Or have more API Keys made available to you like you mentioned @Jason Carr adding to base code.

Last is really a "install tips" I would add, which is you can find your default view via

Esc >> Options >> Theme >> Views 

"Default Startup" = Platforms
Platforms List View = Platform Wheel 1

And here is the code snippet I would have added in the image for how to setup. Eg:

<Image Source=*******/>
            </Grid>
        </Grid>
        <Grid Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}">
            <bbrgs:RGSv2_0 HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center"/>
        </Grid>
    </Canvas>

----Update-----

After further testing, in the image above, you can see it says "Nintendo Wii", but it's on the "Nintendo Wii U" platform. Well the playmodes seem to be related to the "Nintendo Wii" but selecting a playmode brings me a random "Nintendo Wii U" Game based on the platform selected in the background. My issues are clearly related to the fact I use a horizontal wheel. I could think of a solution like declaring the platform in the beginning of the code, but I think there would be better ways like fixing the LR hotkey combo so the platform doesn't change when I hold the hotkey. In its current state its 100% usable, I just had to learn the quirks, but I just wanted to give my feedback from testing. Thanks again for the awesome coding job and really listing to and implementing feedback. It's like nothing I have ever seen.

No, the closing grid tag is there in both of my pics and I've clearly marked it with red text. Anything before it doesn't matter, all you're doing is finding the end of the theme's main grid. That Image tag in the pic also has no meaning, as it may not be there in other themes. In your code snippet, you have an extra </Grid> after the image...that's not correct.step_2.thumb.PNG.23de3e280937b632f0d91f903d39f67a.PNGstep_3.thumb.PNG.2a2f5400764652f06e7f81fc3efa0434.PNG

The small text is weird. What's your Windows DPI settings set to?

I understand about the horizontal wheel problem, but it will be null when the hotkey gets implemented.

Here's a zoomed out pic of the example theme code to back up my statement.

518132008__D__LaunchBox_Themes_Fundamental_Views_PlatformWheel1FiltersView.xaml-Notepad5_25_20186_31_24AM.thumb.png.79b8304f098cb51f837b8de60b6858a1.png

Edited by Grila
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for making this plugin! 

I followed the directions and am having an issue.  When I go to the options screen in Big Box, I get the error as seen in the attached picture.  What's weird is I put everything back as it was before, deleted the plugin, and I'm still getting this error.  Any ideas?

Thanks again!

R

Screenshot (6).png

18 minutes ago, alnyden said:

Thanks for making this plugin! 

I followed the directions and am having an issue.  When I go to the options screen in Big Box, I get the error as seen in the attached picture.  What's weird is I put everything back as it was before, deleted the plugin, and I'm still getting this error.  Any ideas?

Thanks again!

R

Screenshot (6).png

2 minutes ago, Grila said:

Looks like a BigBox error to me, especially if you removed the plugin. Also, the plugin does nothing in the options view. 

Maybe @neil9000 or one of the other mods can help. 

Hmm not one I have seen before that I'm aware of, it references collections a few times and Launchbox doesn't do collections per se, it does Playlist's so I'm not sure to what its referring to be honest. Plus i'm a total tard when it comes to code so not the best person to ask. ?

What theme are you getting that on, and have you tried another theme to test if its restricted to that theme or across the board.

12 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Hmm not one I have seen before that I'm aware of, it references collections a few times and Launchbox doesn't do collections per se, it does Playlist's so I'm not sure to what its referring to be honest. Plus i'm a total tard when it comes to code so not the best person to ask. ?

What theme are you getting that on, and have you tried another theme to test if its restricted to that theme or across the board.

I've tried changing the theme and I'm getting the error message regardless.  This also occurred after I updated to the latest beta, so I'll mention it in the threads over there.  Thanks guys.

Had some time this weekend to play around with adding details. Right now they are tied to the Game Details settings in BigBox. Just have to add the toggle for scrolling details/notes on/off according to what's set on the options page.

1093336919_LaunchBoxBigBox5_28_20186_54_55AM.thumb.png.cbdc30e6c0a8ae2dd3f8683acfd92db4.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 4:39 PM, Grila said:

I'll tie it to the setting then so it will show if Game details screen is disabled, but show the default instance if Game details screen is enabled. 

Am I crazy, but I would like both, that way I can view details when browsing random games. I haven't heard much from you in a while @Grila any chance of this becoming part of BigBox mainstream? I'd love to get updates via the regular channels. I also was hoping to see if any progress had been made on the hotkeys front, I still have trouble selecting the proper platform. I usually go one to the left then hold right, but it doesn't always work. And my font is still tiny. My DPI is set to 100%, so I'm not sure what causes the issue.

I don't have the ability to add it to mainstream, I'm not a LaunchBox developer.

No word from @Jason Carr yet on the hotkey implementation, but I know he's been cranking on getting LaunchBox.Next ready so he's been super busy. Also, I'm sure this isn't high on anyone's priority list except the folks in this thread.

Your tiny font has me stumped as I have had no other people mention this, especially if you're at 100% DPI and not above. What resolution is your display? I'm guessing higher than 1080, and if so that may be causing the problem. I need to optimize how the whole control scales but I just haven't got around to it.

• Thanks 1

@Grila

Hey! Been absent for a while from this thread but I've been meaning to pop back in to give some updates about how the plugin's been working for me and some general feedback on the current version.  I've been using it a ton lately and it's been great being able to just pop on and grab a random game to play, especially when I have a friend over and we just want to pop into a random competitive game!  However, I did notice recently that it does not filter out hidden games, regardless of whether they are set to be shown or hidden in the games list.  This isn't anything too major, but figured I'd throw it out there.  Also, I was wondering if there were any plans to possibly allow for random games by genre (Fighting, Action, Beat em' Up, Shmup, etc.) in the foreseeable future, or maybe even multiple field selection (For example 2-player simultaneous, 3-player simultaneous and 4-player simultaneous all in the same pool). I look forward to future updates! :D

Edited by MayorQwert

On 6/19/2018 at 12:48 PM, MayorQwert said:

@Grila

Hey! Been absent for a while from this thread but I've been meaning to pop back in to give some updates about how the plugin's been working for me and some general feedback on the current version.  I've been using it a ton lately and it's been great being able to just pop on and grab a random game to play, especially when I have a friend over and we just want to pop into a random competitive game!  However, I did notice recently that it does not filter out hidden games, regardless of whether they are set to be shown or hidden in the games list.  This isn't anything too major, but figured I'd throw it out there.  Also, I was wondering if there were any plans to possibly allow for random games by genre (Fighting, Action, Beat em' Up, Shmup, etc.) in the foreseeable future, or maybe even multiple field selection (For example 2-player simultaneous, 3-player simultaneous and 4-player simultaneous all in the same pool). I look forward to future updates! :D

Awesome, glad it's working good now. I have fixed the broken/hidden problem and you can get the updated .DLL from GitHub here:

https://github.com/G-rila/BigBoxRGS/releases

Selecting a random based on genre is certainly achievable. I will look into adding this option soon. I am also working on combining everything into 1 menu like we discussed earlier in the thread and also adding the game details (with end-user ability to turn on or off to keep everyone happy). Hopefully, one day, we will get hotkey support so calling the menu will be more elegant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grila said:

Got the menus combined, grab the update from GitHub:

Works great! Thank you Grila :)

Thinking out loud, a small enhancement (at least for me) would be to make the scroll jump to the bottom if pressed Up at the first item, and jump to the top of the list if pressed Down at the last one. I thought about this, because since the play modes are sorted alphabetically, the "Single Player" mode is always listed at the bottom, and it would be much easier if I just press Up once, instead of scrolling all the way down (specially with MAME, which has all the play modes so ~10 items).

16 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Works great! Thank you Grila :)

Thinking out loud, a small enhancement (at least for me) would be to make the scroll jump to the bottom if pressed Up at the first item, and jump to the top of the list if pressed Down at the last one. I thought about this, because since the play modes are sorted alphabetically, the "Single Player" mode is always listed at the bottom, and it would be much easier if I just press Up once, instead of scrolling all the way down (specially with MAME, which has all the play modes so ~10 items).

Makes perfect sense. I'll add it tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MayorQwert I added the ability to choose by genre. Would you mind running it through the ringer, please? :)

Also, to minimize confusion, new releases are going to be on GitHub because it's just easier than zipping the project up, uploading it here, editing the description, etc., etc., etc. Also, I got rid of the continuous-build and I will now increment each build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1