LaunchBox Community Forums

How to use Viking's Nostalgia vids with Default theme

flatuswalrus

Can't give you a complete tutorial or anything of that nature. But what you should do first, is put the videos in the folder -> videos / platforms /.  Then make sure that the video is named exactly the same as the platform (Nintendo Entertainment System). Then, in BIgBox options, go to "videos" and make sure that "Use platform background videos" is checked. Then you should be ready to go 

10 hours ago, bundangdon said:

Can't give you a complete tutorial or anything of that nature.

Yeah tutorial was the wrong word as that conjures images of a full fledged, tutorial, haha.

But what you should do first, is put the videos in the folder -> videos / platforms /.  Then make sure that the video is named exactly the same as the platform (Nintendo Entertainment System). Then, in BIgBox options, go to "videos" and make sure that "Use platform background videos" is checked.

Yes that all worked great thank you.

Then you should be ready to go 

I got rid of the platform detail that were on the screen, now I just have to find where in BigBox to get rid of the image still remaining in the foreground as shown in the attached screenshot. Would you happen to know?

Image1.jpg

Edited by Dane

3 hours ago, Dane said:

Yeah tutorial was the wrong word as that conjures images of a full fledged, tutorial, haha.

Yes that all worked great thank you.

I got rid of the platform detail that were on the screen, now I just have to find where in BigBox to get rid of the image still remaining in the foreground as shown in the attached screenshot. Would you happen to know?

Image1.jpg

There's a few ways you can do that. The easiest way is to delete/move the image from the folder, for example: "\Images\Platforms\Atari 2600\Banner". The 2nd way is to use another theme which doesn't incorporate these banner images, for example the "Retrofresh" theme doesn't use these banners. The other way (and most difficult) is to open the theme in your text editor and remove the code which contains the banner, but I definitely wouldn't be able to give a tutorial on that partxD

Finally got it the way I want it. Just in case anyone else wishes to do this and stumbles across this thread I'll say how I did it.

1.jpg

Firstly, unfortunately you cannot simply delete the banner images from their respective folders because when you start BigBox up again it automatically downloads them again (you think you are SO clever BigBox!) I also attempted to delete the banner option from the BigBox files, but again to no avail. I might be incorrect, but it appears you cannot do it. So what I did was make sure I had the 16:9 videos in LaunchBox\Themes\Default\Videos\Platforms. Then create a blank transparent .png file the appropriate banner size and replace all the images in LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\Atari Lynx\Banner for example. Then go to BigBox > Options > Views > Background Fade (set it to 0%).

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Dane
  • Thanks 1

I can't check this at the moment but after you delete the image, you have to refresh the image cache (in BigBox options), and that should remove it permanently, otherwise that platform banner may be residing elsewhere, such as the "default" theme folder. However, the method you mentioned is another good alternative

15 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

I can't check this at the moment but after you delete the image, you have to refresh the image cache (in BigBox options), and that should remove it permanently, otherwise that platform banner may be residing elsewhere, such as the "default" theme folder. However, the method you mentioned is another good alternative

I did refresh the image cache but those pesky little buggers kept coming back. I did not find them in another location but they very well may have been elsewhere as you said.

7 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Just thought I would mention that a better practice would be to of made a copy of the default theme folder first then you can change the name of that copied folder to what ever you want and then you would have your own custom theme

I never thought of that. Would it have made it easier as in discarding some of the 'restrictions' regarding options pertaining to the specific default theme?

Offtop: Wasn't there a background flouting around the forum that we can use to make these kind of videos? 

For the nostalgia type videos viking  made.. I pm'd him but he never got back to me. 

I'm planning on  giving these videos a shot.. case in point the American laser games video bothers me.. It features stick and buttons and not guns

It was all fine and dandy to have the main menu screen looking uniform and dapper. Though from there entering into all the games menus looked hideous with the fan-art as the background. It did not match at all so I made a generic grey background which although might be a bit bland for some, I like the simplicity and continuity.

I deleted all the fan-art background images from any folders then added the new background image which I just called 1.png into the \LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\*platform name*\Fanart folder.

1.png

1.thumb.jpg.097dbc602fd46d3c35faf552850aa0a7.jpg

Edited by Dane

On a related note, and as a multi-purpose solution for video backgrounds, I just found that you can accomplish this with the CityHunter 2 theme, which is already built in with the latest version of BigBox. Just put your background video in the folder "\Themes\CityHunter 2\Videos\Backgrounds\Default" with the exact name of the platform (eg. Sega Genesis) and you'll have this games background (with video running). Quite a nice surprise! :)

Edit: Oops! I just realized now that the background video turns off an on every time you select the next game on the list. Almost, but not quite perfect

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by bundangdon
oops

8 hours ago, eatkinola said:

@Dane This may not be what you want, but I did make a theme called Nostalgia around viking's videos. I turned his videos into backgrounds and play videos inside the TV, arcade, handheld, etc. Just thought I'd mention it.

I did know about your Nostalgia theme already, but thank you very much for bringing it to my attention here. I actually downloaded it and gave it a brief try already, not long after I downloaded LaunchBox/BigBox. Your Nostalgia theme is absolutely wonderful and I would be very happy with it. Though I was personally after something just that little more simplistic and 'plain'. I am glad I have gone the route I have taken because despite it having been a little bit painful customising the default theme it has taught me a bit about how everything works. Thanks again.

EDIT: It is funny that I want and enjoy the current simplicity of my setup as I originally got into Hyperspin years ago because of all the bells and whistles. I must be an old fart now.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1