LaunchBox Community Forums

8.6-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Beta 12 is out now with the following:

• Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation thanks to @Cauptain
  • Updated Italian translation thanks to @dukeemu
  • Additional video download priority options for @harryoke and @uv777bk videos
  • Added a Box3DOrNormalImagePath property to games for future versions of the Unified Redux theme (and any other theme that wants to use it, just prioritizes 3D Boxes and then resolves to boxes if not found)
  • Reverted the game controller handler code back to beta 6, which had the most optimizations; it's been a confusing mess trying to figure out what the most performant controller code is

Planning to put out the official release on Monday.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 12 is out now with the following:

• Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation thanks to @Cauptain
  • Updated Italian translation thanks to @dukeemu
  • Additional video download priority options for @harryoke and @uv777bk videos
  • Added a Box3DOrNormalImagePath property to games for future versions of the Unified Redux theme (and any other theme that wants to use it, just prioritizes 3D Boxes and then resolves to boxes if not found)
  • Reverted the game controller handler code back to beta 6, which had the most optimizations; it's been a confusing mess trying to figure out what the most performant controller code is

Planning to put out the official release on Monday.

Yay! I'll be 16-Bit before you know it :D :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alitanet said:

I think the problem is that I updated my metadata before creating new playlists and something was wrong with the new metadata,because in my cps3 and cps2 playlists have dissapered all games too ?

Ah, maybe something went haywire with the download. Try going into your LaunchBox\Metadata folder and deleting Metadata.xml, Mame.xml, and Files.xml while LaunchBox and Big Box are closed. Then just start it up and it should put new ones there that work properly.

Thanks for your help Jason , I tried deleting Metadata.xml Mame.mxl and Files.xml but the problem persists.I have no idea what's going on but I had to delete all my playlists because Launchbox was removing games from Cave playlist,Atari etc.This is very strange, I'll try again when Launchbox 8.6  comes next Monday :)

Edited by alitanet

I Updated to mame 0.2 a few week ago and re-imported everything before this latest update. I spent a lot of time going through some of the games and re-importing some manually and deleting some that didn't work and comparing them to the latest Mame Hyperspin database . Now that mame has been updated in Launchox do I have to re-import everything again? How do i do that? Do i delete my Arcade platform and all my playlists and re-do everything from scratch again? 

3 minutes ago, Styphelus said:

I Updated to mame 0.2 a few week ago and re-imported everything before this latest update. I spent a lot of time going through some of the games and re-importing some manually and deleting some that didn't work and comparing them to the latest Mame Hyperspin database . Now that mame has been updated in Launchox do I have to re-import everything again? How do i do that? Do i delete my Arcade platform and all my playlists and re-do everything from scratch again? 

After 8.6 comes out on Monday, it will be recommended to re-import. The good news is that the new MAME full-set importer should make it a breeze instead of a hassle like the previous version. You don't have to re-import, but you'll get the best results if you do. The best way to do it is to delete the Arcade platform, and the playlists. The easiest way to batch delete the playlists is to just go to the LaunchBox\Data\Playlists folder and delete the playlist XML files while LaunchBox is closed. Otherwise, you have to delete them one by one.

@Jason Carr I'm wondering how the mame metadata works together with LaunchboxDB and playlists. One example that confuses me is House of the Dead, (for the record I did not install the beta yet or rescraped my mame library) this game is an arcade game but it is not listed under arcade, instead it scraped (a few months ago) this game as House of the Dead 4 (rom file is hotd), I searched the game in the database and see it is listed/changed? under Sega Model 2 as a platform will this mean it will not be under arcade even with the new metadata but it will be in the new Sega Model 2 playlist but then listed as a different platform? One other question: If I delete my arcade list and playlists will all my game ratings be deleted as well?

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Jason Carr I'm wondering how the mame metadata works together with LaunchboxDB and playlists. One example that confuses me is House of the Dead, (for the record I did not install the beta yet or rescraped my mame library) this game is an arcade game but it is not listed under arcade, instead it scraped (a few months ago) this game as House of the Dead 4 (rom file is hotd), I searched the game in the database and see it is listed/changed? under Sega Model 2 as a platform will this mean it will not be under arcade even with the new metadata but it will be in the new Sega Model 2 playlist but then listed as a different platform? One other question: If I delete my arcade list and playlists will all my game ratings be deleted as well?

Everything has changed for 8.6; the MAME games now use the MAME data for most fields. All of the MAME games will be listed under Arcade, or whatever platform you choose when you import.

Yes, if you delete your arcade games (the playlists don't matter), you will lose your game ratings and favorites. It should work just fine to keep your MAME games and run the wizard to update them, but it's not the cleanest solution. One option would be to create manual playlists that contain your games at different ratings and/or favorites, and then you can re-rate them and re-favorite them with the playlists after recreating all your games with the wizard.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Everything has changed for 8.6; the MAME games now use the MAME data for most fields. All of the MAME games will be listed under Arcade, or whatever platform you choose when you import.

Yes, if you delete your arcade games (the playlists don't matter), you will lose your game ratings and favorites. It should work just fine to keep your MAME games and run the wizard to update them, but it's not the cleanest solution. One option would be to create manual playlists that contain your games at different ratings and/or favorites, and then you can re-rate them and re-favorite them with the playlists after recreating all your games with the wizard.

Sounds really good, thanks man! :) I'll be checking it out later this month to really understand the new system.

• Like 1

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     Big Box
Version: 8.6-beta-13
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.ImageVideoViewModel)
Source:  BigBox

at (ImageVideoViewModel )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.ImageVideoViewModel.<InitImage>b__18_0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.ImageVideoViewModel.InitImage()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.ImageVideoViewModel.Init(ImageSource source, String video)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.CoverFlowWithDetailsGamesViewModel.<SelectionChangedTimerElapsed>b__55_3(ImageSource source)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ImageLoader.Enqueue(ImageLoaderQueueItem item)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ImageLoader.Enqueue(String imagePath, Action`1 onLoadedAction)
   at (CoverFlowWithDetailsGamesViewModel , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.CoverFlowWithDetailsGamesViewModel.<SelectionChangedTimerElapsed>b__55_0(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Recent Log:

9:08:32 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) ReleaseMediaPlayerFunction
   9:08:32 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   9:08:33 AM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) HandleManager.Remove
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) EventManager.Detach
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) Free
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) ReleaseMediaPlayerFunction
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) HandleManager.Remove
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) EventManager.Detach
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) Free
   9:08:33 AM VlcMediaPlayer.Dispose(bool disposing) ReleaseMediaPlayerFunction