LaunchBox Community Forums

8.6-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

I'm not sure exactly which update this started happening with, since I haven't used LaunchBox for awhile (as opposed to BigBox) but at least starting with beta 6, and now with 8.6 official release, I'm having many spinning beachballs and crashes in LaunchBox.  If I select all games in a platform (MAME for example) the screen will shift slightly and I'll get the beachball.  It never will go away unless I hard-quit.  Happened several times now after a restart.

Thanks,

R

3 minutes ago, alnyden said:

I'm not sure exactly which update this started happening with, since I haven't used LaunchBox for awhile (as opposed to BigBox) but at least starting with beta 6, and now with 8.6 official release, I'm having many spinning beachballs and crashes in LaunchBox.  If I select all games in a platform (MAME for example) the screen will shift slightly and I'll get the beachball.  It never will go away unless I hard-quit.  Happened several times now after a restart.

Thanks,

R

I'm confident that crashes like this are not happening under regular circumstances, so unfortunately there must be something unique or problematic going on with your system. It could be collection-related, or it could be a Windows or a hardware issue, or some sort of application conflict. It's very common for crappy anti-virus applications to cause issues like this, so that's the first thing I would check; the last time I heard of issues like this, Malwarebytes was the culprit. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware software installed other than Windows Defender?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rexryan said:

So i downloaded followed everything i should, I think..lol but am i suppose to see the 2 -4 player what i call genre in my arcade section?

Yes, by default, the Arcade playlists show up under the Arcade platform category. You can remove them from there by editing the playlist and turning off that option.

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm confident that crashes like this are not happening under regular circumstances, so unfortunately there must be something unique or problematic going on with your system. It could be collection-related, or it could be a Windows or a hardware issue, or some sort of application conflict. It's very common for crappy anti-virus applications to cause issues like this, so that's the first thing I would check; the last time I heard of issues like this, Malwarebytes was the culprit. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware software installed other than Windows Defender?

Gotcha.  I had Malwarebyes installed but was not using it.  I did a complete un-install and I'll see how that goes.  That's for the quick feedback!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rexryan said:

I see that ,but if you create a new platform category lets call it MAME GENRE it will not show total games if you pull all the new list to that category>

Capture.PNG

That is correct. Viewing an entire platform category only shows the games that are in platforms inside of that category. This is for performance reasons, but also, there's little reason to need to display games like that. Might as well just select the Arcade/MAME platform.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

That is correct. Viewing an entire platform category only shows the games that are in platforms inside of that category. This is for performance reasons, but also, there's little reason to need to display games like that. Might as well just select the Arcade/MAME platform.

I understand what your saying, but all we did was clutter an arcade/mame  list on top of an older update the gave Classics wheels and others..I like clean and neat and i just don;t know which way to go on this..Love your work just scratching my head on how to display it on a cab.

4 minutes ago, rexryan said:

I understand what your saying, but all we did was clutter an arcade/mame  list on top of an older update the gave Classics wheels and others..I like clean and neat and i just don;t know which way to go on this..Love your work just scratching my head on how to display it on a cab.

Sure, what you have is probably a good solution if you want the genres separated out. In Big Box it's not a big deal because you never display an entire platform category's games. The playlists will still work just fine.

Hey guys, quick question;

I would love to add the newly MAME playlists by Genre, but I have a custom/curated MAME set (not full).

Does bulk clearing all my MAME games Genre fields and running the metadata update for them to fill empty fields and then creating missing arcade playlists make sense? Or just running the creating missing playlists with all my current metadata will do the trick as it does not take into account the genre field, but the rom name or another value?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Hey guys, quick question;

I would love to add the newly MAME playlists by Genre, but I have a custom/curated MAME set (not full).

Does bulk clearing all my MAME games Genre fields and running the metadata update for them to fill empty fields and then creating missing arcade playlists make sense? Or just running the creating missing playlists with all my current metadata will do the trick as it does not take into account the genre field, but the rom name or another value?

Thanks!

Bulk clearing your genre fields and then running the metadata update is a good plan; that should work great. You may need to clear the Play Mode field as well for the 2-Player and 4-Player playlists. 

• Thanks 1

I was wondering where the imported clones that came in as apps are? Also where is puckman or phoenix? It looks like 15636 game show up under all out of 35771 roms. Keep up the Outstanding work. I have waited for Launchbox and Mame compatibility for some time. I believe with possitive feedback it will only get better. There is no reason for anyone to really have Hyperspin as Launchbox is so much more robust. Thank you.  

2 minutes ago, theolsonhome said:

I was wondering where the imported clones that came in as apps are?

822746153_2018-09-0500_22_35-.thumb.jpg.5da794d72c71d8e1917f2cde00c509f5.jpg306039428_2018-09-0500_23_06-EditGame.thumb.png.bc230b9aa4d2b2b7d05174cad5763935.png

4 minutes ago, theolsonhome said:

Also where is puckman or phoenix?

Depending on the region you selected they might be under a different name, Puckman would most likely be under PacMan and Phoenix should be there, it imported as Phoenix for me prioritizing US region.

I do not see them. Here are the defaults I imported in.

image.thumb.png.12803522fce8bc29eeabce546555b9ce.png

Looks like they imported as condor = phoenix and hangly-man = puckman?

Launchbox 8.6

Also trying to figure out where the other 15000 roms are that I believe are clones that came in as apps?

15636 game show up under all out of 35771 roms.

image.thumb.png.6fbc5b62936a88af2381816d5aa7958e.pngimage.thumb.png.cd582cfe332eced2ddf5a4f5aed31b65.png

Edited by theolsonhome