Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

8.6-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

Alright, here's the first beta for 8.6. There's quite a bit in this one so far:

- Please note that the original LaunchBox interface has been completely removed and replaced with the LaunchBox.Next interface for this beta (the same will be for the 8.6 official release). This was done in order to allow much quicker development going forward, solve a number of long-standing stability and flexibility problems caused by the previous interface, and solve fragmentation problems.

- LaunchBox now supports custom themes just like Big Box. Check out the new LaunchBox\LBThemes folder, and change the theme under Tools > Options > Visuals.

- A new "Disable Mouse Cursor Across All Apps" option in available in Big Box under Options > Mouse; this option will hide the mouse cursor completely while Big Box is open, in all apps.

- Fixed: Some message boxes were not centering properly

- Fixed: Several background music priority/overlap bugs have been fixed in Big Box

- Fixed (hopefully): Controller input in Big Box was experiencing occasional hiccups on some systems

- Fixed (hopefully): Setting controller buttons in LaunchBox was occasionally glitching out

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the community can create for LaunchBox themes. :)

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW!!! mouse pointer disappeared from apps through bigbox works like a charm great work as usual Jason 😀 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top work Jason. The update installed flawlessly as usual. So finally I say my farewell to LaunchBox original which served me well for many years but now has a more than worthy successor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason CarrThank you for new Beta. Is there some milestones you wanna hit ? I secretly wish nested folders aka custom folders and subfolders will be implemented soon. (ok now it is public wish) I wanna sort games like Strategy ---Turn based
                                                                                                                                         --- Realtime
                                                                                                                                          ---Economic

 

Anyway i also wish you set milestone few versions ahead like (i know you have this is in mind but make it public atleast something) : In 8.7 expect better rendering of images , in 8.8 implemented internal web browser for better image and videos managament , in 8.9 expect subfolders ,in 9.0 BOSS key for playing in work etc, etc. And of course everything is subjected to changes when my cat overlord commands me otherwise.

Pretty please :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PattersonCZ said:

@Jason CarrThank you for new Beta. Is there some milestones you wanna hit ? I secretly wish nested folders aka custom folders and subfolders will be implemented soon. (ok now it is public wish) I wanna sort games like Strategy ---Turn based
                                                                                                                                         --- Realtime
                                                                                                                                          ---Economic

 

Anyway i also wish you set milestone few versions ahead like (i know you have this is in mind but make it public atleast something) : In 8.7 expect better rendering of images , in 8.8 implemented internal web browser for better image and videos managament , in 8.9 expect subfolders ,in 9.0 BOSS key for playing in work etc, etc. And of course everything is subjected to changes when my cat overlord commands me otherwise.

Pretty please :)

The polls are the best representations of milestones that we have, as I do my best to focus on the most-voted features as the priority. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable making further predictions or further public plans due to the frequency in which they change and the general flexibility of development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The polls are the best representations of milestones that we have, as I do my best to focus on the most-voted features as the priority. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable making further predictions or further public plans due to the frequency in which they change and the general flexibility of development. 

OK no problem , i know promise something is easy , making it true even with best effort is harder. But keep up good work. (and mak subfolders true wink wink) :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if a bug, but i set a colour theme in the options and made sure to turn off the random theme option, and all seems well, except Details tab changes colour on each game i click on, Also is changing colour scheme with the Details View on its doesn't get skinned until you close it and open it again.

Additional, when selecting a colour scheme from the drops downs, after you apply the theme you want, it seems to revert back to custom (maybe thats just a cosmetic thing, not sure though).

Just got this error, closing and opening the Game Details tab after a colour theme change.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.6-beta-1
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (<>c__DisplayClass220_2)
Source:  LaunchBox

   at (<>c__DisplayClass220_2 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.ViewModels.GameDetailsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass220_2.<LoadStarRatingGrid>b__9()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass220_0 , Object , MouseEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.ViewModels.GameDetailsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass220_0.<LoadStarRatingGrid>b__1(Object sender, MouseEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.ReverseInheritProperty.FirePropertyChangeInAncestry(DependencyObject element, Boolean oldValue, DeferredElementTreeState treeState, Action`2 originChangedAction)
   at System.Windows.ReverseInheritProperty.FirePropertyChangeInAncestry(DependencyObject element, Boolean oldValue, DeferredElementTreeState treeState, Action`2 originChangedAction)
   at System.Windows.ReverseInheritProperty.OnOriginValueChanged(DependencyObject oldOrigin, DependencyObject newOrigin, IList`1 otherOrigins, DeferredElementTreeState& oldTreeState, Action`2 originChangedAction)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseDevice.ChangeMouseOver(IInputElement mouseOver, Int32 timestamp)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseDevice.PreNotifyInput(Object sender, NotifyInputEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

 

Edited by MadK9
Addtional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason Carr My controller lag was minimal compared to some other users I seen but I can tell a difference with this beta as the wheel is butter smooth now with no lag.

I do see a new issue when transitioning to BigBox from within LaunchBox. When I click BigBox in the options menu it goes to BigBox correctly but before it does, it pops up the the loading interface box that loads when you first enter LaunchBox that shows populating games and playlists and such for a brief few seconds. I can make a video if you cant reproduce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is a new bug or when it was introduced but I am having problems in launchbox next.  I loaded eXodos RPG.  I wanted to rename it from MSDOS to eXoDOS RPG, so I simply renamed it.  It looked like all was good, but when I reload I only have like 15 titles in eXoDOS RPG and the rest still in MSDOS.  So I try to bulk edit change platform same result.  I tried this numerous times and it always refused with the same games.  I finally was able to rename it MSDOS RPG and it is working.  Why would it not allow eXoDOS RPG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, Jason Carr said:

Alright, here's the first beta for 8.6. There's quite a bit in this one so far:

- Please note that the original LaunchBox interface has been completely removed and replaced with the LaunchBox.Next interface for this beta (the same will be for the 8.6 official release). This was done in order to allow much quicker development going forward, solve a number of long-standing stability and flexibility problems caused by the previous interface, and solve fragmentation problems.

Forcing us to use your new interface when we don't want to? That's not very nice. At least give me a heads up before I auto update so that I can make a decision.

I prefer the old interface overall. I really do hate this new movement that all software seems to be going to add more empty space between everything. The left list sidebar for instance, there is no reason to force everyone to have more empty space than before. If you will reduce the empty space and make the Next interface more customizable in that regard, I'll consider turning on updates again. But for now, I've reverted to 8.5 and will stay on this version for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fawkesyeah said:

Forcing us to use your new interface when we don't want to? That's not very nice. At least give me a heads up before I auto update so that I can make a decision.

I prefer the old interface overall. I really do hate this new movement that all software seems to be going to add more empty space between everything. The left list sidebar for instance, there is no reason to force everyone to have more empty space than before. If you will reduce the empty space and make the Next interface more customizable in that regard, I'll consider turning on updates again. But for now, I've reverted to 8.5 and will stay on this version for the foreseeable future.

OK to things here,

1. its been known for a long time that the old interface was going away, Jason has mentioned it many times. Progress is good only having next to code for is going to make things much easier going forward.

2. Launchbox next can be themed much like Bigbox can be, so you could close up those spaces you dont like if you so desire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fawkesyeah if you prefer the older spacing you can check my theme for the new beta out where I reduced the spacing and other changes that suited my tastes.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

@fawkesyeah if you prefer the older spacing you can check my theme for the new beta out where I reduced the spacing and other changes that suited my tastes.

 

Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'll give this a try tonight and see if it quells my concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me know if there are any issues with how it looks and I will see what I can do to address them. Keep in mind though I am just brute forcing my way through the theme files hacking in changes, I am by no means an expert at this. There are a couple of things I want to change but have not been able to figure out the exact things I need to change to make it the way I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool theme Lordmonkus, trying it out now! Looks better than default. I do have one issue I can't seem to solve that started with Next (not regarding your theme). And every platform that has horizontal boxes have huge spacing between them, like this. Vertical boxes look great now! 

My settings are as follows. 

Any ideas?

Horizontal boxes.PNG

vertical boxes.PNG

boxes.PNG

spacing.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try setting your Aspect Ratio slider to a higher setting but that has its own side effects so you will have to find a balance that you find acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...