LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

17 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

So I made a bit of an executive decision here and am opting to strip the local copies of the magazines out by default, and make them available as a separate module, and make the launcher default to web versions which are viewable on Archive.org (like this for example) - this is where I get them from anyway, before reducing the size/quality a bit to make them more reasonably sized. The rationale for this is that roughly half (4GB) of the total storage requirement for C64 Dreams (8GB) is due to the magazines, and this will only increase over time - the storage space occupied by the rest of the collection should only increase by very small amounts over time because of the small size of the files, but each additional magazine is between 40-60MB (after I'm done with them) so they add up quickly.

As I said, I'll have a separate module available for local copies that'll let you just drag, drop, and merge with the existing collection. I'll make both the web and local versions accessible via the right-click/additional apps menu.

That does sound like a good step forward, assuming that as you say this is a small step towards the full goal. I do wonder though, wouldn't not including all media at all be even better? Say for example that it was all on our database, which as we know is free and open already or maybe as a full pack on say another emumovie place with ftp services?

Just throwing some random thoughts out there, some may land, others not.

Eh, I'm not thrilled with the idea of people having to scrape a bunch of media for this stuff - 1) that's an extra step that just shouldn't be necessary 2) there's a ton of stuff in here that doesn't even have a db entry (in some cases I'm just searching Google Images for something, in others I'm using a screenshot from the Gamebase64 collection, in some cases the game isn't even on Gamebase64 and I'm using a screenshot from csdb.dk) 3) some of the media that is there for some of these is questionable 4) scraping for this stuff in general can kindof be a nightmare when you consider you can have like 7 different games all called "Castle" or "The Castle" etc. The db is never gonna be perfect for this stuff, there's just too much.

Putting the media in a separate pack wouldn't serve much purpose either, I mean you still need it, so why not just include it in the first place? The entirety of all the images included only accounts for 900MB~, so it's not a big deal either way. For the magazines, however, there are only 76 magazines included so far and we're at just shy of 4GB, so that would only get more and more out of hand over time (there will probably be a total of about 200 magazines included when all is said and done). Using the web versions provides the same functionality as what's already there (even has a nice little built-in reader) while cutting the total size literally in half, and if people still want the local versions they'll still be available.

I've made it a point to try and trim as much fat from this thing as I possibly can, and there's not a whole lot left at this point. The good news is that now that the necessary infrastructure is in place, the size should only go up in fairly small amounts going forward. For just the games themselves it's only 400MB for all 1700 of them. The media will of course grow by a greater degree over time but I don't think that will ever be anything too crazy. I tend to do a fair bit of trimming by hand there as well.

• Like 2

Version 0.18 of C64 Dreams is now available. It features 300 additional games plus a number of improvements.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Local copies of the magazines are now in a separate module here. These are not required. If you want to use them, just extract them into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams folder and merge with the Magazines folder. More information in the "New" section below.

The game details spreadsheet has been updated accordingly.

• Version Updates:
    • Artillery Duel - replaced with Remember version
    • Black Lamp - replaced with Remember version
    • Bounty Bob Strikes Back! - replaced with 2011 version by Avatar
    • Bruce Lee - replaced with Remember version
    • Castle of Terror - replaced with Remember version
    • Cauldron - replaced with Remember version
    • Championship Wrestling - replaced with Easyflash version by Excess
    • Clik Clak - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • Coil Cop - replaced with +1D version by Underground Domain Inc.
    • Conan - replaced with Nostalgia version
    • Cosmic Hero - replaced with Alpha Flight version
    • Cosmox - replaced with Easyflash version (Fred's Pentalogy) by Master
    • Count Duckula - replaced with 2019 +5DP 101% version by Fairlight
    • Dark Fusion - replaced with Easyflash version by The Joker
    • Darkman - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • Dino Eggs - replaced with Remember version
    • Dragon Breed - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • Dragon Spirit - replaced with Easyflash version by The Joker
    • Dragon's Lair - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • Dragon's Lair II - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • Enforcer: Fullmetal Megablaster - replaced with Easyflash version by Hokuto Force
    • Forgotten Forest - replaced with V1.1 (10/31/19) by The New Dimension
    • Forgotten Worlds - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero - replaced with Remember version
    • Gauntlet II - replaced with Easyflash version by Master
    • Green Beret - replaced with Remember version
    • H.E.R.O. - replaced with Remember version
    • Hunchback - replaced with Remember version
    • Killer Bees - replaced with 2019 V4 version by Excess
    • Koronis Rift - replaced with Remember version
    • Law of the West - replaced with Easyflash version by Excess
    • Lazy Jones - replaced with Remember version
    • Lumberjack - replaced with Deluxe version by Genesis Project
    • Mayhem in Monsterland - replaced with Easyflash version by EDK + SAM
    • Neutron - replaced with V1.3 +2D version by Genesis Project
    • Popeye - replaced with Remember version
    • Prince of Persia - replaced with official v1.1 version
    • Quedex - replaced with Remember version
    • Racing Destruction Set - replaced with Easyflash version by Excess
    • Rock 'n Bolt - replaced with Remember version
    • Smash TV - replaced with Remember version
    • Spelunker - replaced with Remember versin
    • Wizard of Wor - replaced with +9DGH 101% version by Hokuto Force
    • X-Out - replaced with 2019 .d81 100% version by Hokuto Force

• Changes/Fixes:
    • Fixed Bad Blood which was incorrectly referrencing a previous version in the .bat (and not working, as result)
    • Replaced Alternate Reality: The Dungeon disks with version from Gamebase64 - previous version seemed to stop working after the intro
    • Removed unnecessary file from Cargo (old version)
    • Removed custom cropping from Cyberball (not sure why I had this to begin with)
    • Corrected Skyfox to use port 1
    • Corrected Blades of Steel to use port 2
    • Changed Ballblazer default joystick port to 1 and added custom screen cropping
    • Added custom polling type / turbo period / duty cycle to The Detective Game which makes fire button behavior much more consistent (it's not very responsive in Retroarch by default); applied this same fix to Spellbound Dizzy
    • Fixed some problems with Thrust controller settings and changed controls - read Retroarch notes for details
    • Changed input polling type from early to late - this has resulted in a pretty noticeable improvement to input latency
    • Made some adjustments to input settings which should make more controllers usable (although hotkeys are not guaranteed to work)
    • Removed vicerc0 and tempsave files as they're no longer necessary (about 1500 files)
    • Renamed all .ef files back to .crt - this was a holdover from the time when I was still using CCS64, as I wanted to differenciate between normal .crt files (which CCS64 supports) and Easyflash .crt files (which CCS64 does not support.
    • Changed AHK scripts to wait until after Retroarch has started to perform MouseMove instead of before, so that it's not potentially sitting in that moved position a few seconds before the game actually starts (i.e. if it takes Retroarch a couple seconds to start)
    • Changed disk names for some multidisk games because the core shows the name of the inserted disk now, so using specific names makes it easier to tell which one you need to switch to now; games updated are: 221B Baker St, Alter Ego - Female Version, Alternate Reality, Alternate Reality II, Bard's Tale II, Bard's Tale III, and Wasteland
    • Added blank Character Disk to Alternate Reality II
    • Unified font between XMB and OSD messages (pixelFJ8pt1_.TTF) and it now references an internal location so it's not a font that you need to have installed previously
    • Added autoloading savestates for some Easyflash games that are part of multi-game carts, so that the correct game is loaded without having to make any selection (Summer / Winter Games, Leaderboard / World Class Leaderboard, etc.; doesn't include games that have saves like Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, The Uninvited, and Deja Vu as this breaks traditional saving for Easyflash games)
    • Deleted some duplicate images from Launchbox
    • Reduced default volume

• New:
    • Savestates! Additional controls for states have been added to the controller reference image and to the controls/notes images in Retroarch.
    • Some games are now setup with an autoload savestate which will be loaded as soon as the game is started - this is primarily for games that require true drive emulation (longer load times) so that they'll start at a point after the initial load has completed. A new column has been added to the game details spreadsheet called "Autoload state?" to indicate where they're used.
    • Added Blast From The Past collections 1-25; these are multi-game collections that most C64 fans will be familiar with. Some of the featured games are already present in C64 Dreams individually, some aren't - I've added these partially out of novelty and personal nostalgia and partially as a way to quickly test out more games to potentially add individually to the collection; they all require TrueDrive to be enabled so I've setup autoload savestates to the game selection menu for each one; I can't guarantee all the included games work correctly as I haven't tested them all. Note that these are not incorporated into the Launchbox library currently, but they're available by going to C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games\!Blast From The Past and then starting the .vbs files within each folder.
    • Games that use only keyboard inputs (like text adventures) now use an alternate bezel that indicates this with a keyboard icon in the bottom right corner.
    • Games that have custom notes now use an alternate bezel that indicates this with a note icon in the bottom left corner.
    • Incorporated web versions of the magazines, which load from Archive.org, and made this the default launch option - local storage versions are still available as a separate module; the rationale for this is that roughly half (4GB) of the total storage requirement for C64 Dreams (8GB) is due to the magazines, and this will only increase over time - the storage space occupied by the rest of the collection should only increase by very small amounts over time because of the size of the files, but each additional magazine is between 40-60MB so they add up quickly. Both the web versions and the local versions are accessible via the right-click/additional apps menu for each magazine. If you don't have the local version, you'll get an error when trying to start that version in the right-click menu - just press okay and then Escape to exit.

• Misc:
    • Updated Retroarch to version 1.7.9
    • Changed custom notes overlays from jpgs to pngs as the jpgs have some weird graphical corruption in newer versions of Retroarch; the file sizes are, unfortunately, a bit larger as result :(
    • Added custom keyboard controls to The Eternal Dagger
    • Added custom joystick controls for Every Second Counts, Fairlight - A Prelude, and Frank Bruno's Boxing
    • Added PRG/Group info and CSDb.dk links for many games, covering a total of 1070 games (63%) in the collection currently.

• New custom notes:
    • Eternal Dagger
    • Every Second Counts
    • Fairlight: A Prelude
    • Frank Bruno's Boxing
    • Thrust

• New configs with custom dimensions:
    • Ballblazer
    • Masquerade
    • Planet Golf

Just a reminder, but if you're not using 1080p, you're going to need to change the resolution setting via C64 Dreams > C64 Dreams > Utilities > Screen Resolution Adjustment and then starting one of the .bats. There are options for 1080p (default / complete), 1600x900, 1440p, and 4k. For games that have custom dimension settings (there are 28 of these), the dimensions will need to be adjusted to meet your resolution needs. @jophran has made them for 1600x900 for most of these, but none of the others are covered. If anyone who has access to a 1440p or 4k monitor would like to assist with this, please let me know.

New games in v0.18

2000 Kung-Fu Maniacs
4M Arena
Agent USA
Alien 8
Alien Research Centre 2
All New Family Feud
Alloyrun
Antarta
Arcana
Bandits
Basket Master
Bergbert der Rächer
Bergbert III - The Blue Knight
Berks Four
Blastopia DX
Bloodwheels
Bug Out 2019
Chopper Command
Crypt of the Pharaoh
Dallas Quest, The
Dam Busters, The
Dandy
Death Weapon
Deep, The
Dice Skater
Didrik The Diver
Duel, The
Dungeon Crawl
Dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Trials
Dungeons of Ba
Dunwich Horror, The
Dunzhin
Dylan Dog - The Full Moon Nights
Dynamite Dux
Dynamix
Dynamoid
Dystopia
Dyter-07
E-Swat
Earth Orbit Station
Echelon
Echo Hawk
Edd the Duck
Eggman
Eight Feet Under
Election
Electro World
Elektraglide
Elektrix
Elevator Action
Elf Caper
Elidon
Elite Squad
Ellak's Tomb
Elsoliado
Elven Warrior
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark
Elvira - The Arcade Game
Elvira II - The Mistress Strikes Back
Emerald Miner
Empire of Karn
Encounter
Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Enduro Racer
Energy Manager
Entity
Enzyme
Epsilon IV
Equinox
Erebus
Escape (Timsoft)
Escape from Arth
Escape from New York
Escape from Paradise
Escape from SEUCK
Escape from Stank
Escape from the Dark Prison
Escape from the Killer Robots!
Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters
Escape from the Shire
Escape New York
Escape or Bust (Tunnel Escape)
Escape Route
Eskimo Games
Espionage
Espodill
Eszkimo
Eternal Dagger, The
Eureka!
Every Second Counts
Everyone's a Wally
Evil Crown
Evil Dead, The
Evil Garden
Examination, The
Exceleron
Exodus
Exorcist
Expedition Amazon
Experience
Exploding Wall
Explorer
Eye of the Gods
F-14 Tomcat
F-15 Strike Eagle
F-16 Combat Pilot
F-18 Hornet
F-Clash 64
F1 GP Circuits
F1 Tornado
Fabuland
Face Ache
Face Off!
Fairlight - A Prelude
Fairy Well
Falcon - The Renegade Lord
Falcon Patrol
Falcon Patrol II
Fallen Angel
Falling
Family Feud
Famous Five, The
Farstar
Fast
Fast Break
Fast Eddie
Fast Food!
Fast Future
Fast Tracks
Fearless Fred and the Factory of Doom
Federation
Fellowship of the Rings
Fernandez Must Die
Ferrari Formula One
Ferris' Christmas Caper
Fetris
Fifteen 3D
Fifth Quadrant, The
Fight for Thurn
Fight Night
Fighter Bomber
Fighting Soccer
Fighting Warrior
Final Blow
Final Encounter, The
Final Fight
Final Tennis
Finders Keepers
Fire and Forget II
Fire Ant
Fire Bug
Fire Eagle
Fire Fighter
Fire Galaxy
Fire King
Fire Track
Firebird
Fireflash
Firehouse Rescue
Fireman Sam - The Hero Next Door
Firepower
Firequest
FireTrap
Firezone
First Starfighter, The
First Strike
Fish!
Fist Fighter
Fist II - The Legend Continues
FlaschBier
Flash Flood
Flash!
FlawShow
Flight of the Albatross
Flight of the Albatross II
Flintstones, The
Fliptris
Floyd the Droid
Flubble and Squij
Flummi's World
Fly Harder
Flying Cobra RX
Flying in on the Big Bird
Flying Shark
Flying Shark II
For Speed We Need
Forbidden Fruit
Foreign 2, The
Foreign, The
Forest of Doom, The
Forester
Fort Django
Fortress of Narzod
Fortress of the Witch King
Fortune Hunter
Fourth Protocol, The
Fox Fights Back
Frank Bruno's Boxing
Frankenstein
Frankie Crashed on Jupiter
Frantic
Freak Attack
Freak Factory
Fred
Fred the Fruiter
Fred's Back
Fred's Back II
Fred's Back III
Fred's In Trouble
Freddy Hardest
Freddy Hardest II - In South Manhattan
Frenzy
Frexel
Friday the 13th
Frightmare
Frogger '93
Frogs in Space
From Out of the Snow
Frost Byte
Frostbite
Fruity
Fugitive
Fun Duel
Future Bike Simulator
Future Dungeons
Future Fighter
Future Knight
Galactic Assault
Galactic Chaos
Galactic Games
Galactic Muncher
GalactyForce
Galax-I-Birds
Galaxia 7
Galaxibirds II
Galleon, The
Get Witchy
Ghettoblaster
Gogo the Ghost
Haunted House
Hunter, The
Ice Cold Beer
Insectophobia
ISS Emergency!
Jack the Nipper
Jack the Nipper II
Jimmy Business
Killer-Ring
Legion of the Damned
Legion of the Damned 2
Legion of the Damned 3
Little Sara Sister Trilogy
Luna
Masquerade
Micro Hexagon
Morpheus
Neutralizor
Ninja Master, The
Nukenin & The Ronin
Orpheus in the Underworld
Out of INK
P0 Snake
Pagoda Warrior 2
Planet Golf
Pocket Dungeon
Pocket Rockets
Pooyan
Race Through Space
Railroad Tycoon
Relentless 64
Rettenthetetlen - Fearless
Robots Rumble
Rocket 'N' Roll
Rocky Horror Show, The
Rogue Trooper
Royal Hunt, The
Sceptre of Baghdad
Search for the Nether Regions, The
Sentinel
Silverfish
Slaterman
Space Knight
Space Orbs
Space Trip 2086
Split Second
Spy Who Loved Me, The
Stercore XD
Strike Force Harrier
Super Goatron
Super Tau Zeta
Take Down
Total Eclipse
Total Eclipse II
TRogue64
Trojahn
Valentino
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
Wizard Willy

*these games are still commercial so the roms are not supplied

New Demos

Demolution by Lethargy
Dive, The by Genesis Project
Elder Scrollers, The by Booze Design
Thera by Atlantis

New SID

Amazing Discoveries by LMan
Aslång på Skansen by Fegolhuzz
Cakewalk by Jangler
Dawnstar Ascendant by Nightbeat
Every Bit You Take by Mythus
Free Fallin' by Soya
Half-Half by Artline Designs
Ikebukuro by Mibri
M2-V7 by Tracker
Neutron Bouncer by dLx + Stinsen
Psi Pi by SMC
Shadows Falling by Flotsam
Smoke and Mirrors by dLx + Stinsen
Touch the Sky by Flex
Wrath of Yamo, The by Abaddon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Unusual Gem 1

@Zombeaver Thanks for sharing your C64D with us.  Many games on here brought back many memories.  I do like that the mags are linked to Archive.org versus including them in the image.  Like you said, this will only get bigger with more games, SIDs, Demos, and Mags.  Love the save states and controller button layouts too!  You Rock!!

• Like 1

While I'm sure this won't be particularly "exciting" for most people, I've taken some time to make some updates to the code in my automation tools so that they're now... even more automated. I wrote these to help cut down on a lot of the tedious manual work and they've helped immensely in that regard, but there were still a few things that had to be done in conjunction with them, like updating the .bat files to contain the correct .cmd name and making alterations to the .cmd files if using a filetype other than .d64 - both of these are no longer necessary as it now injects the correct .cmd name automatically in the case of the former and auto-adjusts the filetype in the .cmds in the case of the latter. The only scenarios that really require any manual adjustment at this point are 1) multi-disk games as these need to be setup with .m3us and 2) games that need to have the .prg name specifically named in the .cmd in order for the correct program to start (these are fairly few and far between - it's most commonly seen in cases where there are a couple different games on the same disk).

The end result of this is simply that the setup process on my end takes even less time now so... yay!

If you're one of the few people who has any interest in messing with these for yourself, I've attached them. These go in the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Utilities\Creation Tools folder. Just delete the !Base folder there and replace it and the .bats there with what's in the zip. !Automator.bat and !Automator - Batch 100.bat are likely the only ones that would be of any interest for anyone as these are for setting up the games themselves, all the others are for things like magazines, demos, etc.

Now all you have to do is take your .d64s, .t64s, .d81s, .crts or whatever, make sure they're named the way you want them, and just drag them all onto !Automator.bat (for 10 or less) or !Automator - Batch 100.bat (up to 100) and then place the resultant folders into C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games and you're done.

Creation Tools.zip

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, pagrab said:

Hey Zombeaver - I just wanted to thank you for this amazing work. This pack is perfect and everything works right out of the box. You reignited my love for the C64.

Echoed.

I havent got around to testing this yet due to too many thing going on in life, but I'm REALLY looking forward to doing so :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elwyndas said:

This is great stuff. However, how do I access the VICE/Retroarch menu? On my machine I have weird issues. Random slowdowns of the emulator.

You can press numpad minus + F1 or back + xbox button on a controller.

I can give you some specific suggestions that are likely to fix it though - I've been meaning to mention this in the opening post [EDIT: Added them under a section called "Performance"]. If you're having performance problems, you should go to C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Retroarch\config\VICE x64 and open VICE x64.cfg. There are three lines at the bottom that you should try adjusting:

image.png.05ca5319738bcf1a1697666bed74ae65.pngThe first thing you should do is adjust video_frame_delay down by 1 at a time, down to 0 if necessary, and see if that fixes it (it probably will).
If that doesn't work, the second thing you should do is set video_hard_sync to "false".
If that doesn't work, try setting video_threaded to "true". I really don't recommend that unless absolutely necessary though. The previous two will produce a small amount of additional input latency, but threaded video increases it more significantly. It does have the benefit of letting it work on basically a toaster, however.

9 hours ago, pagrab said:

Hey Zombeaver - I just wanted to thank you for this amazing work. This pack is perfect and everything works right out of the box. You reignited my love for the C64.

That's awesome to hear! That's exactly what I wanted to accomplish with this. Have fun!

9 hours ago, vaderag said:

Echoed.

I havent got around to testing this yet due to too many thing going on in life, but I'm REALLY looking forward to doing so :)

Hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1

wow this certainly takes me back.  thanks a bunch for all this, it all looks awesome.  sadly, i haven't been able to play anything - i seem to get stuck at the 'trainer' screen for whatever game i play and no amount of key bashing or xbox 360 controller massage seems to do anything....i also cannot seem to save any changes to the controllers, when i was trying to adapt play to my keyboard-encoder joystick (it's based on an Ultimarc I-PAC 2).  

finally, i would request "Drelbs" be added (assuming i will one day be able to play any of these).

cheers and thanks again Zombeaver, you're easily my second favorite beaver.  

Edited by Skeemin

As I say in the opening post, a keyboard is required. The shortcut keys deal with the most common scenarios but you'll never be able to account for every situation with just a controller. There's too wide a range of inputs required, not to mention the 60+ text adventures in the collection and 100+ that are keyboard input only.

I can't speak to the keyboard encoder, as I have no experience there, but 360/XB1 controllers most assuredly work with this as I use both. Anything that's xinput based should work. I have a Mayflash F300, for example, and it works as well. Core and, in some cases, per-game remaps are used (C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Retroarch\config\remap\VICE x64), so if mapping changes aren't sticking, that's probably why. You'd have to overwrite them.

image.png.7bf3b19d62c8eac06f78c88dad022727.pngMy suggestion would be to do something to reconfigure the inputs on your controller so that they match the keyboard controls (listed in the opening post), however. No matter what though, you're going to need a keyboard either way.

I'll add Drelbs in the next batch.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

As I say in the opening post, a keyboard is required. The shortcut keys deal with the most common scenarios but you'll never be able to account for every situation with just a controller. There's too wide a range of inputs required, not to mention the 60+ text adventures in the collection and 100+ that are keyboard input only.

I can't speak to the keyboard encoder, as I have no experience there, but 360/XB1 controllers most assuredly work with this as I use both. Anything that's xinput based should work. I have a Mayflash F300, for example, and it works as well. Core and, in some cases, per-game remaps are used (C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Retroarch\config\remap\VICE x64), so if mapping changes aren't sticking, that's probably why. You'd have to overwrite them.

image.png.7bf3b19d62c8eac06f78c88dad022727.pngMy suggestion would be to do something to reconfigure the inputs on your controller so that they match the keyboard controls (listed in the opening post), however. No matter what though, you're going to need a keyboard either way.

I'll add Drelbs in the next batch.

this is great, you provide better support than a number of tier-1 vendors i could name.  what about the issue of getting stuck on the trainer screen? i do use a keyboard, but when i load Raid over Moscow, for instance, i get stuck here:

image.thumb.png.7912c526cfb4ff8d56d4003ef08756d0.pngi can't seem to get past the trainer screen

Are you pressing N (no) or Y (yes)? It's asking you to choose the trainer options - that's what the (Y/N) is for. You have to press one or the other three times there (once for each option) to continue. If pressing N or Y on an actual keyboard isn't working there, I'm not sure what to tell you other than there's probably something wrong with the keyboard.

This is the most common scenario for trainers - it's why I have N and Y mapped to the controller. Most of the time they'll just ask you to press those to choose your trainer options. Some will ask you to press H or T for high score saver or trainers, some will then ask if you want to load or reset the high scores by pressing L or R. You just have to follow in the instructions in the trainer.

6 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Are you pressing N (no) or Y (yes)? It's asking you to choose the trainer options - that's what the (Y/N) is for. You have to press one or the other three times there (once for each option) to continue. If pressing N or Y on an actual keyboard isn't working there, I'm not sure what to tell you other than there's probably something wrong with the keyboard.

This is the most common scenario for trainers - it's why I have N and Y mapped to the controller. Most of the time they'll just ask you to press those to choose your trainer options. Some will ask you to press H or T for high score saver or trainers, some will then ask if you want to load or reset the high scores by pressing L or R. You just have to follow in the instructions in the trainer.

i have tried both y and n - neither seems to get the job done.....i'll keep mashing away and reading.  

Then there's either something wrong with your keyboard or there's something that's causing it to not be recognized/read by Retroarch - my guess would be your keyboard encoder joystick. It could be that it can only accept one keyboard at a time and it's seeing the joystick first. My suggestion would be to disconnect it and see if that fixes it.

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

Then there's either something wrong with your keyboard or there's something that's causing it to not be recognized/read by Retroarch - my guess would be your keyboard encoder joystick. It could be that it can only accept one keyboard at a time and it's seeing the joystick first. My suggestion would be to disconnect it and see if that fixes it.

well i think you're right, because armed with the beaver-mode confidence of your last response and with the fightstick unplugged, i was able to get the game going - although it seems i have forgotten how to play.  I seem to have forgotten that these games are from the era of manuals and reading, not the current era of asking alexa to flush the toilet for you....but for sure the keyboard interface joystick was getting in the way.  i suppose i'll have to get clever if i want to include c64 games in the game console i'm planning to build with this joystick interface and launchbox.   i think i may have to get a different interface module for it, i believe there are some that appear to the system as xbox controllers.

4 minutes ago, Skeemin said:

beaver-mode confidence

lol I'm gonna start using that

6 minutes ago, Skeemin said:

i was able to get the game going - although it seems i have forgotten how to play.  I seem to have forgotten that these games are from the era of manuals and reading, not the current era of asking alexa to flush the toilet for you....but for sure the keyboard interface joystick was getting in the way.

Glad you got it sorted. As far as "how to play", while it obviously isn't going to cover everything, you may want to consult the game details spreadsheet if you're having issues. There's a link in the opening post and there's a shortcut to it in the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams folder. In some cases there will be information there that you'll need. I've been in the process of making custom notes which you can toggle for specific games as well. A few games include this like 221B Baker St for example.

For Raid Over Moscow specifically:

image.thumb.png.d6404ff24d7b6143e5ce5f65f8dd488c.png

9 minutes ago, Skeemin said:

i think i may have to get a different interface module for it, i believe there are some that appear to the system as xbox controllers.

I can personally recommend the Mayflash F300. It works great. You can go cheaper with the F101 or more expensive with the F500 too. These all support Xinput on PC, so they're treated just like an Xbox controller.