LaunchBox Community Forums

Hiding Bible passages in Launchbox

mariomario

• 3 months later...

I tried to hexedit this text to remove the msg. It will run if you remove the 'this program cannot run in dos', but will not run if you modify 1 letter in the bible quote string. This might be the only piece of software I have come across in my life (first computer bring a vic20 in 1981) with a random religious quote in it. Not a fan, dont want to see it when I access that area. Stuck with it until a better option comes around. Unfortunately I paid for the product.

2 minutes ago, pyster said:

I tried to hexedit this text to remove the msg. It will run if you remove the 'this program cannot run in dos', but will not run if you modify 1 letter in the bible quote string. This might be the only piece of software I have come across in my life (first computer bring a vic20 in 1981) with a random religious quote in it. Not a fan, dont want to see it when I access that area. Stuck with it until a better option comes around. Unfortunately I paid for the product.

Why? what a load of effort for no reason?

You know what you can do with the "offensive" bible quote, ignore it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pyster said:

And this is coming from myself personally, i dont care or take the time to even consider these comments, i have no religious faith at all, i think its all a bunch of shit, but I dont go hex editing programs to hide it though.

That makes me think you have some hardcoded parental faith in you that you are scared of.

Take it elsewhere.

For some this quote is no different than including racial slurs and other bigoted speech. Should we ignore those things? The hateful ideas of the abrahamic faiths are the only things to 'be afraid of'. My parents were not overly religious; may wish to leave the arm chair stuff behind and not go to the ad hominem. I insulted no one and I will not insult you or others now.

All  I wanted to do was sector edit the the texted out. I'm not looking to redistribute anything. Yet this text appears to be protected where other text i the file is no.

Also; the defense for I could care less is that is a 'i can take it or leave it; it's trivial.' Anything on the bottom of a list is note worthy. Another is the normal bastardization of various phrases. Pilkunnussija Should keep the later in mind and consider the first. (not meant as an insult to anyone)

Edited by pyster

On 9/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, neil9000 said:

What??

They are saying that for some people it might be as offensive as that, given their immense distaste for it.  I haven't even noticed it.  Given the amazing quality of the program I personally don't give a crap about it, even with my own personal convictions.  Launchbox is too good of a program to even worry about this very minute gripe.

The About page is about the program and developer. It's totally appropriate for Jason to have that content there. Ok I really didn't want to comment on this issue, but people just need to be more accepting of one another, and we all have the ability and personal obligation to filter out from the world what is important to us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, eatkinola said:

The About page is about the program and developer. It's totally appropriate for Jason to have that content there. Ok I really didn't want to comment on this issue, but people just need to be more accepting of one another, and we all have the ability and personal obligation to filter out from the world what is important to us.

I think your response is about perfect.

He's working two accounts, one to post the topic, another to agree with it. We was annoying in the Reddit thread, now he is bringing it here.

As a devout non-believer myself, I have no issues with this bible quote. It's called respecting the original authors wishes. He is the artist creating this software. He can do as he pleases; If you have issues ignoring a simple quote in an unused dropdown menu, then you are obsessive compulsive. You would be better off focusing on that issue rather than a random bible quote hidden in software code.

One thing that I have observed about Jason is that he seems to be accepting of his entire community, including pyster. When forum members use the occasional curse word do they get censored? Nope. When pyster starts an entire thread about removing a Bible quote that obviously means a lot to Jason did he get deleted and banned? Nope. I think we can all return the favor by allowing him to include one quote on a page many of us will never even see.

• 3 weeks later...

Having read this thread, I became curious and did a bit of digging:

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/33647-secular-version-of-launchbox/

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/43425-proposal-for-removing-bible-verses-from-launchbox/

Clearly this has come up before for some reason and it's surprising how many people come out and say "This shouldn't be an issue, you have a problem" in quite an aggressive way - and it's ironic, when many of these people are also supposedly preaching tolerance. You not seeing a problem does not mean that no-one else can, does or should see one.

Somehow these people can understand that Jason is passionate enough about this to place religious texts in software whose function has no inherent or explicit religious connection or purpose itself - and yet they cannot understand how its users could be equally passionate about the same subject enough to take objection.

You may claim that people have a choice and if they don't like it, they don't have to use it. Yet how would you feel if you noticed that your grocery receipts had quotes from the Quran printed on them? I think there's a pretty good chance you'd think this strange if not inappropriate. Even if you could get your money back on that purchase, you weren't warned beforehand that you could only accept these goods if you also accept the religious message that came with it. That is not fair and it is not choice. At least Bibles have their titles printed clearly on the cover.

It seems strange to me that God would want his followers to spread his word through messages inserted into emulation programs but there you go. There are quotes on the mailouts too. If that same god didn't make us all believing in him from the start though then why would he want those followers to force his message into software against their will? Upsetting people and restating people's rights to say whatever they want just because they can seems counterintuitive and very intolerant in itself.

(Sadly this will probably be another thread that gets locked with people being told to take it privately despite the subject being around a very public display of religious belief)

• Like 2