LaunchBox Community Forums

Troubleshooting MAME High Scores

Jason Carr

23 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

I know, it is a noob question, sorry.

I see that you can set more highscore on the same game using different..version? Like world, old, EU, and so on.

I have a complet mame merged set. Launchbox have loaded only 1 version for game. How I can play the different versions through Launchbox? I am just curious.

If you used the MAME importerm right click on game and select edit. Go to additional Apps tab and all the versions are there. Pick the one you want and hit make default button.

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

So I do have an official version of MAME, but I use RetroArch with the MAME core as my default, with the official MAME as an alternative option. The high scores don't show with this setup, but I tried making a backup of my Launch Box collection & switched the default emulator to MAME, which allowed for the option to view the high scores to show up. I also noticed that it uploaded my score when using the Launch Box setup where MAME is the default, but it didn't work on my Launch Box setup when using MAME as an alternative.

I assume MAME has to be the default emulator for this to work? Is there any way for Launch Box to recognize that MAME is there when it's not the default? Would really help me, since I like to use RetroArch as default across platforms to keep the hotkeys & general UI consistent (and I've yet to figure out if there's an easy way to switch which monitor is being used in MAME, outside of using command lines). Also, for some reason, I couldn't get Burger Time to run using the default version of MAME, but it runs under the RetroArch MAME core, so I'm not sure if all my games run under MAME (I'm using the 0.217 MAME romset & the 0.217 version of MAME, so I'm not sure why it's not running, but that's a separate issue that I'll have to look into). Of course, I'll understand if this isn't feasible due to whatever checks Launch Box has to make to verify that a valid version of MAME is being used...

Unfortunately the high scores won't show in the sidebar unless MAME is the default emulator, at least as of right now. However, you should be able to achieve high scores still when you run them via official MAME. That said, I don't think you'll be able to view the high scores unless MAME is set as the default emulator. We could alter this, but I'm afraid that it might get confusing and we'll get lots of complaints asking why people's scores aren't uploading. Unfortunately we can't support Retroarch for the official scores because it's missing some MAME-specific features, such as specific command-line arguments.

29 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

I know, it is a noob question, sorry.

I see that you can set more highscore on the same game using different..version? Like world, old, EU, and so on.

I have a complet mame merged set. Launchbox have loaded only 1 version for game. How I can play the different versions through Launchbox? I am just curious.

If you use the proper MAME full-set importer, it'll give you an option to import all clones as additional apps. It will require you to re-import your MAME games though.

4 hours ago, exodus_cl said:

That was the issue, I was using gui version of no nag, now i'm on the "normal" version and it's ok.

One last thing! I wanted to remind you the problem of the hiscores window in lower resolutions (or vertical placed monitors) where the texts are too big, I attach the link of the post where I explained it better, thanks in advance

Yeah, this is on my list. I don't really have a good solution for it though currently, because it's a lot of info to put on the screen, especially for that vertical aspect ratio. Not exactly sure how we're gonna solve it. My best idea is to provide an option to change font size globally in Big Box, but I'm not sure how feasible that is considering all the custom themes.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately the high scores won't show in the sidebar unless MAME is the default emulator, at least as of right now. However, you should be able to achieve high scores still when you run them via official MAME. That said, I don't think you'll be able to view the high scores unless MAME is set as the default emulator. We could alter this, but I'm afraid that it might get confusing and we'll get lots of complaints asking why people's scores aren't uploading. Unfortunately we can't support Retroarch for the official scores because it's missing some MAME-specific features, such as specific command-line arguments.

Thanks for the response. I'm considering making a work-around, something like making an identical Platform with a different title, but that points to the same roms & images/videos, so that it doesn't take up any extra hard drive space (with the only difference being the Platform title & default emulator). It worked well for separating my Arcade & Console versions of Neo-Geo games without having to have 2 copies of each. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, this is on my list. I don't really have a good solution for it though currently, because it's a lot of info to put on the screen, especially for that vertical aspect ratio. Not exactly sure how we're gonna solve it. My best idea is to provide an option to change font size globally in Big Box, but I'm not sure how feasible that is considering all the custom themes.

Thanks for your time Jason, I understand that the option to reduce text size may be too complicated, so maybe just reduce the text size a bit in order to show the scores over a million and the 4 main tabs (weekly to all-time) that really would be more than enough ? (or maybe just make the window wider), I attach a picture for you to see:

The 720p screen on vertical has 768px wide, let me know if you need more info, thanks in advance.
1328873849_WhatsAppImage2020-04-23at22_47_54.thumb.jpeg.ecd501d3dec56e21485ea4875ae0cc21.jpeg

Edited by exodus_cl

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

If you use the proper MAME full-set importer, it'll give you an option to import all clones as additional apps. It will require you to re-import your MAME games though.

Sorry Jason to bother you for this question, if you have no time to reply me, I understand.

The question is:

I have imported mame set by import rom individually (dont ask me why, please, I am a fool).

What happen if NOW I import again full set? I have to remove all from launchbox first? (I don't want to reload all media).

Thank you for your time and patience!

P.S. Anyway, thanks to the new highscore function I have found again the pleasure to play games like I was child, thank you very much! When you'll have some new softwares to buy I'll do it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

Sorry Jason to bother you for this question, if you have no time to reply me, I understand.

The question is:

I have imported mame set by import rom individually (dont ask me why, please, I am a fool).

What happen if NOW I import again full set? I have to remove all from launchbox first? (I don't want to reload all media).

Thank you for your time and patience!

P.S. Anyway, thanks to the new highscore function I have found again the pleasure to play games like I was child, thank you very much! When you'll have some new softwares to buy I'll do it!

You can always re-import without removing or re-downloading media, so that is what I would recommend. Delete your arcade games first, then re-import using the MAME full-set importer. Keep in mind that you *will* lose any customized metadata (such as favorite, etc.). There are ways to save that stuff though if you need to.

13 hours ago, silveralex said:

Been running through my games, just to see if scores are working.

I can't seem to show up Altered Beast.

I do see other scores there so it's working for other people.

I have been fine with other game so far. Any ideas what else I could check?

Have you looked that the debug logs?

15 hours ago, exodus_cl said:

Thanks for your time Jason, I understand that the option to reduce text size may be too complicated, so maybe just reduce the text size a bit in order to show the scores over a million and the 4 main tabs (weekly to all-time) that really would be more than enough ? (or maybe just make the window wider), I attach a picture for you to see:

The 720p screen on vertical has 768px wide, let me know if you need more info, thanks in advance.
1328873849_WhatsAppImage2020-04-23at22_47_54.thumb.jpeg.ecd501d3dec56e21485ea4875ae0cc21.jpeg

Yeah, I'll play with it here soon to see if I can adjust it a bit.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, andyco47 said:

just got hi score on Crystal Castles of 41,000 and it did not put it on but got hi score about an hour ago of 38,000 and it did put it on does anyone no why this as happened.

Please don't double-post the same thing into multiple threads. As with every other issue in this thread, we'll need to see the debug log in order to troubleshoot.

25 minutes ago, MustardCowboy said:

Hey there - I just played Zaxxon, and the score I finished with was 9450. However, when it was uploaded, it gave me 509,400 instead. I WISH I was that good, lol!!!!  - PeppercornElvis (ESN)

Thanks, we should report this to @GreatStone. Please see the first post of this topic for how to report it. I'll go ahead and remove that score. :)

21 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Please don't double-post the same thing into multiple threads. As with every other issue in this thread, we'll need to see the debug log in order to troubleshoot.

Thanks, we should report this to @GreatStone. Please see the first post of this topic for how to report it. I'll go ahead and remove that score. :)

sorry jason.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

You can always re-import without removing or re-downloading media, so that is what I would recommend. Delete your arcade games first, then re-import using the MAME full-set importer. Keep in mind that you *will* lose any customized metadata (such as favorite, etc.). There are ways to save that stuff though if you need to.

Have you looked that the debug logs?

Yeah, I'll play with it here soon to see if I can adjust it a bit.

Ran the game again just now. Attached log file.

It's a ying no new scores found to upload though it shows my score as #6 on the list

RANK|SCORE|NAME|STAGE
1|50000|HKR|1
2|40000|UCH|1
3|30000|SAT|1
4|20000|HAG|1
5|10000|HAS|1
6|6400|ALX|1
7|5000|TOS|1
2020-04-24 03:39:06 PM MameHighScores.Parse: No new scores found to upload!

Debug 2020-04-24 03-34-45 PM.log

11 minutes ago, iSelfishGene said:

Hi, After updating to version 10.14 the hi score option is completely vanished. Attached is the debug log for playing 1942. I have disconnected and reconnected to Launchbox database, but it has no effect. Please help!!

Debug 2020-04-24 10-00-07 PM.log 12.2 kB · 0 downloads

You are using MAMEUI, you need to use the standard MAME.