Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

11.5 Beta Testing

Recommended Posts

Hey all, the first 11.5 beta is out now with the following:

  • Improvement: Better theme compatibility for installs that don't support symbolic links (such as on network drives or external drives running the exFAT file system). Not all themes are supported in this scenario, but theme support should be much improved. We still do not recommend running LaunchBox or Big Box off of a network drive or an external drive with the exFAT file system.

  • Fixed: Logging out of Origin was not always working correctly

We may end up working on more fixes for a bit before diving into new features, but we'll be focusing on the remaining poll items here shortly.

  • Like 12
  • Game On 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, with the new versions and this beta, a new option was introduced which is to set the name of the game according to the region automatically, leaving the rest of the names as alternatives and being able to change by editing the game data.

The problem is that, by default, the name of the game stays with the one of the region that is detected, but that causes the same games to come out with different names.

An option would have to be enabled in the general options so that the names of the games are used the main one or the one of the region, or an option to change that in all the games, that is, some option to establish the name of all the games games selected to the main.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

This is the popup I get when editing an emulator (I've just checked and it is the same in 11.4... it is ok in 11.2, though). Is this something related to my setup? Everything else seems to be fine.

2020-09-02_235704.thumb.png.ab428b4645593e51a3f906ec87da3405.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 12:31 PM, ToniBC said:

The problem is that, by default, the name of the game stays with the one of the region that is detected, but that causes the same games to come out with different names.

Want to confirm what you are reporting. Are you having an issue simply that games are being named the same as the rom file or the region listed on the rom, or are you seeing multiple game entries with the same GamesDB ID NOT being combined properly because of having multiple names?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can better explain myself with an example.

We have the game "Contra" which in Europe was called "Probotector", well, in the database, the Main name is the USA "Contra" as always and as an alternative is the European.

In previous versions, when you imported...

Contra (USA).zip
Probotector (EUR).zip

The list showed the two entries with the same name, which was fine, because they are the same game.

But now, it shows you as "Contra" for the USA and "Probotector" for the EUR, which is also fine, but different.

The problem is that to join these two games manually or to delete one, you don't know if they are the same or not, because they have different names.

In the program options, there should be an option for the names, that is, always use the main name as before or the alternative of the specific region. The same as with the covers you can specify the priority of the region, because now with the names the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ToniBC said:

I can better explain myself with an example.

We have the game "Contra" which in Europe was called "Probotector", well, in the database, the Main name is the USA "Contra" as always and as an alternative is the European.

In previous versions, when you imported...

Contra (USA).zip
Probotector (EUR).zip

The list showed the two entries with the same name, which was fine, because they are the same game.

But now, it shows you as "Contra" for the USA and "Probotector" for the EUR, which is also fine, but different.

The problem is that to join these two games manually or to delete one, you don't know if they are the same or not, because they have different names.

In the program options, there should be an option for the names, that is, always use the main name as before or the alternative of the specific region. The same as with the covers you can specify the priority of the region, because now with the names the same.

@ToniBC I tested a complete import of NES games; Contra and Probotector were combined together properly. If you allow the importer to combine versions together (just leave that option checked), then they'll be properly combined. There's really no need to do it manually.

However, @C-Beats mentioned to me that if you insist on doing it manually, you can use the LaunchBox DB ID field in Audit to look for duplicates to combine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, CMOSS said:

Hi,

This is the popup I get when editing an emulator (I've just checked and it is the same in 11.4... it is ok in 11.2, though). Is this something related to my setup? Everything else seems to be fine.

2020-09-02_235704.thumb.png.ab428b4645593e51a3f906ec87da3405.png

Unfortunately I think the latest releases have a bug with the Spanish translation here. We'll get it fixed here soon; sorry for the trouble.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@ToniBC I tested a complete import of NES games; Contra and Probotector were combined together properly. If you allow the importer to combine versions together (just leave that option checked), then they'll be properly combined. There's really no need to do it manually.

However, @C-Beats mentioned to me that if you insist on doing it manually, you can use the LaunchBox DB ID field in Audit to look for duplicates to combine.

It is not a problem that the games are combined well, the problem is that it would be nice to be able to decide how the games are displayed in the list, with the old format, everything with the main name or with the new format by region.

Each user has preferences, as well as the theme, the colors, the priority of the covers, also being able to choose the name format, if we want it to be old or new.

It's just that, I like the old format better and then change if I want to the new format by region, but being able to decide is ideal. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ToniBC said:

It is not a problem that the games are combined well, the problem is that it would be nice to be able to decide how the games are displayed in the list, with the old format, everything with the main name or with the new format by region.

Im not sure im understanding here, its not a problem that hay are combined, its about the sorting method?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToniBC said:

It is not a problem that the games are combined well, the problem is that it would be nice to be able to decide how the games are displayed in the list, with the old format, everything with the main name or with the new format by region.

Each user has preferences, as well as the theme, the colors, the priority of the covers, also being able to choose the name format, if we want it to be old or new.

It's just that, I like the old format better and then change if I want to the new format by region, but being able to decide is ideal. 😁

I get you, but it makes zero sense to name a game in LaunchBox purposefully different than the correct name of the game that is on the ROM file. It makes a lot more sense to change your method of arranging games rather than to use incorrect titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 2 is out now with the following:

  • Improvement: Games database metadata updates are now more robust in order to help prevent corrupted metadata downloads

  • Fixed: Spanish Edit Emulator form control placement issues

  • Fixed: Rare LaunchBox list view column index error

     

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Contra... I noticed that the MAME importer is still bringing in clones, even if you have it set to ignore clones... the example I just noticed is Gryzor, which is a clone of Contra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:
  • Fixed: Spanish Edit Emulator form control placement issues

I have just checked and it is indeed fixed.

Thanks a lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just something small, not important. There are 2 typo's in the dutch (NL-NL) translation in the show manual when right click on a game and when you see your licence.

I made a word doc with screenshots and the correct translation. I also added a 3th one for the platform pannel just as suggestion.

Just saw in the editing of a game that some menu's are in Dutch, some in English, also the menu like badges ect has the same. Do you guys want to make the other languages version a 100% in that language or just the general things? If so i can check now and then for the translations and make word doc's like this, after my holliday i can translate some if needed.

launchbox-Nl-Nl.docx

Edited by Just001Kim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, Drybonz said:

Speaking of Contra... I noticed that the MAME importer is still bringing in clones, even if you have it set to ignore clones... the example I just noticed is Gryzor, which is a clone of Contra.

I think it may be choosing the wrong "clone" as the priority. We'll look into this.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:55 AM, Just001Kim said:

Just something small, not important. There are 2 typo's in the dutch (NL-NL) translation in the show manual when right click on a game and when you see your licence.

I made a word doc with screenshots and the correct translation. I also added a 3th one for the platform pannel just as suggestion.

Just saw in the editing of a game that some menu's are in Dutch, some in English, also the menu like badges ect has the same. Do you guys want to make the other languages version a 100% in that language or just the general things? If so i can check now and then for the translations and make word doc's like this, after my holliday i can translate some if needed.

launchbox-Nl-Nl.docx 1.79 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks @Just001Kim. This typically happens when a particular translation is out of date. @Bardock was handling the Dutch translation, but it looks like it hasn't been updated since July of last year. If you're interested, please see this thread:

There's instructions there for updating the translations. I think it's safe to say that you could certainly take it over at this point if you're interested. :)

Just read the first few posts of the above thread for instructions. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I think it may be choosing the wrong "clone" as the priority. We'll look into this.

Thanks @Just001Kim. This typically happens when a particular translation is out of date. @Bardock was handling the Dutch translation, but it looks like it hasn't been updated since July of last year. If you're interested, please see this thread:

There's instructions there for updating the translations. I think it's safe to say that you could certainly take it over at this point if you're interested. :)

Just read the first few posts of the above thread for instructions. Thanks!

Ok, im starting tomorrow on it when i'm fresh and fruity ;)  Just checked the program and the files and everything is clear how to translate and deliver.

I'l try to get it ready and double check it before i'm going on holliday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 3 is out now with the following:

  • Improvement: New LEDBlinky option to use advanced logic for filters lists in Big Box (primarily for addon devices); enabled under Tools > Options > Integrations > LEDBlinky in LaunchBox

  • Improvement: New LEDBlinky option to disable starting the LEDBlinky screensaver when attract mode starts in Big Box; available under Tools > Options > Integrations > LEDBlinky in LaunchBox

  • Improvement: LaunchBox performance improvements when blurring excessively large background images

  • Fixed: The default emulator wasn't being automatically assigned when adding a game manually in the Add/Edit Game window

  • Fixed: The MAME full set importer was not properly obeying the option to "Skip clones entirely" if checked

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure when this happened, I have been using Xenia (canary) for a Xbox 360 emulator. It isn't launching any more from within LB or BB. I have checked the paths to the emulator and roms and they look good. I have tried with and without a custom command line "-vsync=false -fullscreen". It will start the startup screen, then just returns to LB. I have tried disabling startup & pause screen, that didn't help either.

BTW, all is fine running straight from the emulator.

Can someone else let me know if it's working for them?

Edited by Wanderer189

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

Not sure when this happened, I have been using Xenia (canary) for a Xbox 360 emulator. It isn't launching any more from within LB or BB. I have checked the paths to the emulator and roms and they look good. I have tried with and without a custom command line "-vsync=false -fullscreen". It will start the startup screen, then just returns to LB. I have tried disabling startup & pause screen, that didn't help either.

BTW, all is fine running straight from the emulator.

Can someone else let me know if it's working for them?

Never used the canary build. Just added it and all I did was change my Xenia set-up in LB to the canary folder's .exe and it ran fine. Did not change any other settings. Tested on latest beta and latest stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...