LaunchBox Community Forums

11.9 Beta Testing

Jason Carr

So I was... a little bit disappointed when I went to use the Xbox importer? I know LaunchBox is primarily a launcher but I'd like to use it to catalog games on other consoles as well, so I was really hoping it could... import my 360 and Xbone games!

I understand if that's easier said than done, but I thought I'd brought it up in case there was a way to implement that in the future? Just so I don't have to manually import several hundred 360 games...

15 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

I was waiting for this quality-of-life feature for so long. Thanks for finally adding it! I only noticed that LB ignores everything you type in after you hit the spacebar. For example, when I type in “super mario” it only jumps to the first game that starts with super.

Thanks for the report Cid. Have code in place to correct this for next release.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:41 AM, Stovies said:

Not sure if this is a beta request or not, but 'download platform/playlist theme videos...' is incomplete.  For example, Viking's Colourful theme for 'Favourites' isn't appearing.

Favorites is spelled differently in the US. It's under "Favorites" on the server.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, mcfilmmakers said:

While the topic is fresh, a deselect all button would be SUPER appreciated on this screen.

Good idea; we're going to add Check All and Check None for the next beta.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The T said:

So I was... a little bit disappointed when I went to use the Xbox importer? I know LaunchBox is primarily a launcher but I'd like to use it to catalog games on other consoles as well, so I was really hoping it could... import my 360 and Xbone games!

I understand if that's easier said than done, but I thought I'd brought it up in case there was a way to implement that in the future? Just so I don't have to manually import several hundred 360 games...

Unfortunately I don't think Microsoft provides any way for us to access that info (games installed on your console).

I am also under the impression that Launchbox boots quite slower than 11.8. I think that population of images are also slower and the scrolling a bit jerkier.

As for the BigBox, I use it a lot more seldom so I am not sure about the 11.9 vs 11.8 boot time.  I think it either had not been affected or affected a lot less than Launchbox.

Launchbox/BigBox is a real treasure, best launcher ever and the only downfall I find with all these new improvements is that it gets a lot less snappy. :(

Also I do not recall if the duplicate processes were there in 11.8

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Wally

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Favorites is spelled differently in the US. It's under "Favorites" on the server.

Will this be added to Launchbox soon?  I've struggled to add some of the newer Colourful platform themes that are on the server, but not yet linked in launchbox. 

Colourful HD.png

1 hour ago, Wally said:

I am also under the impression that Launchbox boots quite slower than 11.8. I think that population of images are also slower and the scrolling a bit jerkier.

As for the BigBox, I use it a lot more seldom so I am not sure about the 11.9 vs 11.8 boot time.  I think it either had not been affected or affected a lot less than Launchbox.

Launchbox/BigBox is a real treasure, best launcher ever and the only downfall I find with all these new improvements is that it gets a lot less snappy. :(

Also I do not recall if the duplicate processes were there in 11.8

Clipboard01.jpg

It is possible for the startup time to be slightly longer. I'll run a few tests to compare. However, it doesn't make sense for any other performance to be affected (such as scrolling), as no changes were made to that code, so if you're seeing a performance difference, it's probably caused by some kind of an external influence.

The dual processes is a normal thing.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stovies said:

Will this be added to Launchbox soon?  I've struggled to add some of the newer Colourful platform themes that are on the server, but not yet linked in launchbox. 

Colourful HD.png

Viking had uploaded those particular videos as category videos only. I just copied them so that they'll work with playlists now too.

In my testing, there are zero differences in startup performance in 11.9 vs. 11.8. I used a stopwatch to compare.

If you're seeing performance differences, please use a stopwatch and tell us the startup time for 11.8, and then the startup time for the latest beta. I suppose it's possible that if you have a crazy huge Amazon or Xbox games collection, that could affect it, but I'm doubtful that anyone has all that many games from those providers.

I know this isn't the feature request thread, but I would still love to see a couple things added to make LB easier to work with concerning videos:

1. an option in the context menu of the game edit to go to the video folders when you click on a game, like you can with the images (Open Images Folder).

2. an option for a default video in the platform edit like you can set up default images for them.

Just wanted to through it out there again....appreciate the read.

11 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately I don't think Microsoft provides any way for us to access that info (games installed on your console).

Tracking whether they're installed or not is immaterial. The database is games I own...

3 minutes ago, The T said:

Tracking whether they're installed or not is immaterial. The database is games I own...

We still have no way of getting the games that you own on your Xbox. Microsoft doesn't provide it.

7 hours ago, Wanderer189 said:

I know this isn't the feature request thread, but I would still love to see a couple things added to make LB easier to work with concerning videos:

1. an option in the context menu of the game edit to go to the video folders when you click on a game, like you can with the images (Open Images Folder).

2. an option for a default video in the platform edit like you can set up default images for them.

Just wanted to through it out there again....appreciate the read.

Both good suggestions. If we don't have BitBucket tickets for them, then we should definitely add them. :)

When you import the complete MAME set, if you don't select the MAME emulator, the importer gives an error on Line 1. Apparently, since it now uses the emulator to generate the xml, if you don't assign an emulator or it's not MAME, it generates an error.

At least the first time, then it will test whether once imported, for a second time.

The error does not close Launchbox, but it does not let you continue. It would have to give a message like, "You need to add and select MAME to be able to import the entire list" or something similar.

With the function check for missing roms i have something strange.

If i do it / platform it's working perfect, only when i use the function check for all systems he's adding the new rom to all systems.

Picture in attachtment were you can see that he found a bios file for the sega 32x and wants to add it to all platforms.import.thumb.jpg.238a8af0714e395431e2b3038b94ec20.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ToniBC said:

When you import the complete MAME set, if you don't select the MAME emulator, the importer gives an error on Line 1. Apparently, since it now uses the emulator to generate the xml, if you don't assign an emulator or it's not MAME, it generates an error.

At least the first time, then it will test whether once imported, for a second time.

The error does not close Launchbox, but it does not let you continue. It would have to give a message like, "You need to add and select MAME to be able to import the entire list" or something similar.

Yes, the full-set MAME importer will not work if you don't choose an actual version of MAME for the emulator. I just realized that it also won't work with the MAME core in Retroarch, so it looks like we need to do something about that.

46 minutes ago, Just001Kim said:

With the function check for missing roms i have something strange.

If i do it / platform it's working perfect, only when i use the function check for all systems he's adding the new rom to all systems.

Picture in attachtment were you can see that he found a bios file for the sega 32x and wants to add it to all platforms.import.thumb.jpg.238a8af0714e395431e2b3038b94ec20.jpg

Could you private message me here on the forums and send me your Platforms.xml file (located in \\LaunchBox\Data\)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ToniBC said:

23 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, the full-set MAME importer will not work if you don't choose an actual version of MAME for the emulator. I just realized that it also won't work with the MAME core in Retroarch, so it looks like we need to do something about that.

I haven't found a way to make Retroarch spit out the MAME XML like an actual copy of MAME will, so I'm just changing the importer to note that it requires an actual copy of MAME, and won't work with the Retroarch MAME core. I don't really know what else to do about that (unless someone can find a command-line that works with Retroarch MAME to spit out the -listxml stuff). You can always change the emulator to Retroarch after the import, but it isn't ideal. For now, though:

image.thumb.png.263aed6e1d82435c6e743af5c97a332c.png

Beta 6 is out now with the following:

• Fix for a bug that would allow you to set the parent of a category or a platform to a playlist in certain situations (which doesn't work)
  • Fix for a dictionary error with the Origin imports
  • The Amazon importer will now download posters from Amazon
  • Translation updates
  • MAME full-set importer verbiage change (above)
  • Like 2