Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, DemmyTree said:

Just want to confirm what is the binding for screensavers with retro achievements, i currently have the following (Apologies if spoilers doesn't collapse it)

You got the right properties, just might need to get them in the right place. (I have not exactly tested my suggestion below, but they should be mostly right, let me know if you run into more questions though)

  • Directly in the screensaver view (outside the transition content): {Binding Game.RetroAchievementsEarnedAchievements} / {Binding Game.RetroAchievementsTotalAchievements}, as you have it
  • Inside the per-game template the TransitionPresenter shows (where the clear logo etc. usually live), drop Game.: {Binding RetroAchievementsEarnedAchievements}
    • The labels and visibility helpers there need to go through the view: {Binding DataContext.RetroAchievementsVisibility, RelativeSource={RelativeSource AncestorType=UserControl}}.

You can also play with RetroAchievementsHasAchievements, MedianTimeToBeatHardcore, MedianTimeToMaster, HasRetroAchievementsTimeToBeat, and HasRetroAchievementsTimeToMaster. Obviously only works for games with a RetroAchievements match and you/the user has an RA account set up in LaunchBox.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Vader said:

 

Hi all

I just installed 14.1 beta and noticed that the load times are still very slow. For me both Launchbox and Bigbox are taking about 48 seconds to load.  I have already disabled auto imports etc. but this has not helped with load times. Also, wheel scrolling is still not smooth. I have attached a video and you can see the stuttering during the wheel scrolling. Thanks for all that you do.

The requested details from the original post would be useful here, especially your logs, specs, Windows version/build, which theme/view you're showing in the videos, and which plugins you're using (so basically all of it).

Also how does it compares to 14.0 if you used that as well. same? worse? better?

Posted
2 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

The requested details from the original post would be useful here, especially your logs, specs, Windows version/build, which theme/view you're showing in the videos, and which plugins you're using (so basically all of it).

Also how does it compares to 14.0 if you used that as well. same? worse? better?

@MysterNybble thanks for the quick response. I have attached my logs as requested.  I am using windows 11 25h2 on a Lenovo laptop with an Intel Ultra Core 5 processor with Intel Arc graphics. This laptop has 16 GB of memory. The theme I am using is Unified Lives!  Also I am not using any plugins. 

Prior to version 14.0, I was getting load times of about 30 seconds, but once 14.0 hit the load times almost doubled. As far as the wheel scrolling, it has been same since before 14.0. To me it seems like there is a slight pause during wheel scrolling.

Thank for your help

MediaEngine Client 2026-09-28 04-52-42 PM.log Debug 2026-09-28 04-52-38 PM.log

Posted
4 hours ago, Vader said:

@MysterNybble thanks for the quick response. I have attached my logs as requested.  I am using windows 11 25h2 on a Lenovo laptop with an Intel Ultra Core 5 processor with Intel Arc graphics. This laptop has 16 GB of memory. The theme I am using is Unified Lives!  Also I am not using any plugins. 

Prior to version 14.0, I was getting load times of about 30 seconds, but once 14.0 hit the load times almost doubled. As far as the wheel scrolling, it has been same since before 14.0. To me it seems like there is a slight pause during wheel scrolling.

Thank for your help

MediaEngine Client 2026-09-28 04-52-42 PM.log 92.94 kB · 0 downloads Debug 2026-09-28 04-52-38 PM.log 839 B · 0 downloads

Thanks a few observations:

  • Big Box naturally waits for your startup video (TRON something or other) and according to these logs it's seems long - 96 seconds - does that seem right?  This might muddle the logs a little bit, so can you repeat this by pressing some keys/buttons during startup to "skip" the video?
  • Make sure LaunchBox/Big Box are completely closed when you pull the logs the Debug log especially looks cut off (only 5 lines which I'd expect many, many more)
  • Can you try the Default theme for the stutter issue? Want to confirm it's a Big Box issue or somethings specific to that theme. Let me know if Default behaves the same, worse, or better than what you're seeing in your preferred theme.

Thanks again!

Posted
On 9/27/2026 at 10:48 AM, Fursphere said:

Trackball and Spinner support for wheel movement.  

  • The program you are referring to that you have tested:  Big Box
  • Your hardware specs and OS:  Windows 11
  • What you were doing in the app and how you were doing it:  Big Box Navigation
  • Which theme you are using:  Default
  • The type of input you were using during your testing: controller, keyboard, mouse, trackball, etc. : Trackball and Spinner
  • List of community plugins that you have installed:  None

Spinner support - *chefs kiss* - you guys nailed this one

Trackball support - Close, but it feels weird.  I'll attempt to explain.   I had to crank the sensitivity up to 300% - 350% to get decent movement out of the trackball on my system.  I suspect that's hardware related. 

Unlike spinner, trackball has both X and Y axis (duh).  Looks like you enabled both.   So at the 'main' bigbox menu (horizontal scroll).   It has a "speed" left to right - you just get a feel for it.   However, if you move the trackball in a slight diagonol motion, the "recent games list" get selected.  

1) It can be tricky to get 'out' of this sub-menu with just the trackball.  You have to move it all the way to the left.  And then "UP" but its not instant.  Like, you have to "PUSH" up more (keep rolling the trackball up longer than you'd expect) to get the selection to finally 'pop' out.  
2) The speed of the sub-menu vs the main system menu is way off.   Lets call main menu 100% (just a feel right?).  When it drops to the recent game menu, it feels like it jumps to 300% - 400% speed.   Its not consistent.  
3) There is a similar issue (though not nearly as bad) when you enter a system menu, and "up down" becomes the title selection and "left right" becomes the alphabetical 'quick search' function - and any diagonal movement tends to switch modes unexpectedly.  

Nothing here is breaking obviously.  It just feels 'off' with the trackball - non consistent.  

I would say giving the ability to selective 'disable' one or the other axis - but then you'd get goofy when you go from Horizontal to Vertical (main wheel vs. system/platform wheel).   
Unless you can have logic to detect which way the wheel spins, and dynamically change it?  (and this would help the spinner too - since it could work in both modes with a single axis)

Thanks for the feedback. You are right that trackballs are very hardware dependent, which is the reason for all the knobs, like sensitivity. One trackball doesn't quite work the same as another, and we figured one person's "it feels just right" will feel different to another. Based on what you are saying it sounds like on your trackball the change in sensitivity of the wheel doesn't appear to change the sensitivity of the list in a proportion you like. So, it sounds like we'll need to add a few more knobs in the next beta.

The way it currently works is that both X and Y are enabled so you can open things like the index, but there's a cone around the primary navigation direction, which is supposed to help with non-perfect movements. I'll refined it a bit on different views for the next beta, and I'm going to add a calibration option, which should hopefully help with wheel and list differences and adjustment of that cone on a per-user basis. I'll also add a temporary diagnostic setting, so in the next beta, turn it on and it should dump a trackball diagnostics file in your logs folder that you can include in your next feedback message. Hopefully, we can get this right for as many different trackballs out there before the end of the beta round. 

Posted
2 hours ago, faeran said:

Thanks for the feedback. You are right that trackballs are very hardware dependent, which is the reason for all the knobs, like sensitivity. One trackball doesn't quite work the same as another, and we figured one person's "it feels just right" will feel different to another. Based on what you are saying it sounds like on your trackball the change in sensitivity of the wheel doesn't appear to change the sensitivity of the list in a proportion you like. So, it sounds like we'll need to add a few more knobs in the next beta.

The way it currently works is that both X and Y are enabled so you can open things like the index, but there's a cone around the primary navigation direction, which is supposed to help with non-perfect movements. I'll refined it a bit on different views for the next beta, and I'm going to add a calibration option, which should hopefully help with wheel and list differences and adjustment of that cone on a per-user basis. I'll also add a temporary diagnostic setting, so in the next beta, turn it on and it should dump a trackball diagnostics file in your logs folder that you can include in your next feedback message. Hopefully, we can get this right for as many different trackballs out there before the end of the beta round. 

Sounds good.  I've got an Ultimarc.   I'm sure others will have different experiencaes.  

I seemed to have solved most of the 'feel' issues by just switching my main platform view from horizontal to vertical (everything is vertical now) so its consistent throughout.  

Posted
14 hours ago, Vader said:

@MysterNybble thanks for the quick response. I have attached my logs as requested.  I am using windows 11 25h2 on a Lenovo laptop with an Intel Ultra Core 5 processor with Intel Arc graphics. This laptop has 16 GB of memory. The theme I am using is Unified Lives!  Also I am not using any plugins. 

Prior to version 14.0, I was getting load times of about 30 seconds, but once 14.0 hit the load times almost doubled. As far as the wheel scrolling, it has been same since before 14.0. To me it seems like there is a slight pause during wheel scrolling.

Thank for your help

MediaEngine Client 2026-09-28 04-52-42 PM.log 92.94 kB · 3 downloads Debug 2026-09-28 04-52-38 PM.log 839 B · 1 download

It might be worth looking at your setting for (from LaunchBox) Options -> General -> "Share optional performance diagnostics" and checking it if it isn't. Restart LB/BB and then relaunch - this does have special capture for startup timings and can help us find patterns.

Posted
2 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

It might be worth looking at your setting for (from LaunchBox) Options -> General -> "Share optional performance diagnostics" and checking it if it isn't. Restart LB/BB and then relaunch - this does have special capture for startup timings and can help us find patterns.

Ok I have added the "share optional performance diagnostics" setting and here are the logs that were generated after I added this setting. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

MediaEngine Client 2026-09-29 12-40-07 PM.log MediaEngine Client 2026-09-29 12-40-42 PM.log Debug 2026-09-29 12-40-03 PM.log Debug 2026-09-29 12-40-39 PM.log MediaEngine 2026-09-29 12-40-07 PM.worker.log MediaEngine 2026-09-29 12-40-42 PM.worker.log

Posted
On 9/28/2026 at 5:26 PM, MysterNybble said:

Glad you found a workaround :) though it's odd that setting as I wouldn't suspect that was the cause. Can you remind me what was happening on the other monitor and send a screenshot of the option you turned off, just to make sure I'm looking at the right thing? May still be a bug hiding in there...

Awesome this will help! I was able to reproduce on my side. I'll get this into Beta 2 when that's ready (hopefully by end of week). The only workaround I can offer is look at the achievements in LaunchBox for now 🤪

Ok looks like disabling that option didnt fix the problem as the problem came back. I'm trying to figure out how to control bb without it being the active window because it almost seems to do it kind of randomly.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

You got the right properties, just might need to get them in the right place. (I have not exactly tested my suggestion below, but they should be mostly right, let me know if you run into more questions though)

  • Directly in the screensaver view (outside the transition content): {Binding Game.RetroAchievementsEarnedAchievements} / {Binding Game.RetroAchievementsTotalAchievements}, as you have it
  • Inside the per-game template the TransitionPresenter shows (where the clear logo etc. usually live), drop Game.: {Binding RetroAchievementsEarnedAchievements}
    • The labels and visibility helpers there need to go through the view: {Binding DataContext.RetroAchievementsVisibility, RelativeSource={RelativeSource AncestorType=UserControl}}.

You can also play with RetroAchievementsHasAchievements, MedianTimeToBeatHardcore, MedianTimeToMaster, HasRetroAchievementsTimeToBeat, and HasRetroAchievementsTimeToMaster. Obviously only works for games with a RetroAchievements match and you/the user has an RA account set up in LaunchBox.

Can confirm that binding works inside transition and outside of it. Spoiler for binding inside transition screen.

Spoiler

  <TextBlock Text="Achievements Earned"
               Foreground="#DAA520"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}"
               Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='0,0,10,0'}" />

    <TextBlock Text="{Binding RetroAchievementsEarnedAchievements}"
               Foreground="White"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}"
               Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='0,0,10,0'}" />

    <TextBlock Text="Out of"
               Foreground="#DAA520"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}"
               Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='0,0,10,0'}" />

    <TextBlock Text="{Binding RetroAchievementsTotalAchievements}"
               Foreground="White"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}" />

Bindings for outside of transition is (text in top left corner of double dragon image confirms outside of transition)

Spoiler

<TextBlock Text="Achievements Earned"
               Foreground="#DAA520"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}"
               Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='0,0,10,0'}" />

    <TextBlock Text="{Binding Game.RetroAchievementsEarnedAchievements}"
               Foreground="White"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}"
               Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='0,0,10,0'}" />

    <TextBlock Text="Out of"
               Foreground="#DAA520"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}"
               Margin="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='0,0,10,0'}" />

    <TextBlock Text="{Binding Game.RetroAchievementsTotalAchievements}"
               Foreground="White"
               FontFamily="LAUNCHBOX_THEME_FOLDER/Fonts/RedHatDisplay-Regular.ttf#Red Hat Display"
               FontSize="{Binding Converter={StaticResource ScaleConverter}, ConverterParameter='30'}" />

 

image.png

image.png

Edited by DemmyTree
  • Like 1
Posted
59 minutes ago, AzgoRAth said:

Ok looks like disabling that option didnt fix the problem as the problem came back. I'm trying to figure out how to control bb without it being the active window because it almost seems to do it kind of randomly.

I figured out how to replicate the issue. So if im running any emulator from bb and any of the other 2 screens are the active windows instead of the emulator and I close/shut down the emulator, the double control thing happens. In order to stop it, I have to click on bb so it becomes the active window and then that fixes it temporarily. Which means I must try to remember not to have any other window active when i close the emulator. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of multiple monitors though.

 

Posted

For me, the beta has been really nice in most ways.  Once LaunchBox is finally opened, everything is extremely fast and smooth and much more responsive than before.  Even things like combining games works a lot more fluidly now.  The bigger issues I would point out is when opening the app, it goes through an importing games check every time now that takes a good 10-20 minutes before the app opens.  Before updating to beta, it maybe took 30 seconds max.  I'm on a 9950X with a 5090 and 96 GB of RAM.  Also, closing the app seems painfully slow now as every single playlist saves.  There have been times in the past it has been slow, but then the next update or two makes it better again.  It took me about 5 minutes for everything to close without force closing anything.  But the launch is the worst part.  

Posted
1 hour ago, syyoung said:

For me, the beta has been really nice in most ways.  Once LaunchBox is finally opened, everything is extremely fast and smooth and much more responsive than before.  Even things like combining games works a lot more fluidly now.  The bigger issues I would point out is when opening the app, it goes through an importing games check every time now that takes a good 10-20 minutes before the app opens.  Before updating to beta, it maybe took 30 seconds max.  I'm on a 9950X with a 5090 and 96 GB of RAM.  Also, closing the app seems painfully slow now as every single playlist saves.  There have been times in the past it has been slow, but then the next update or two makes it better again.  It took me about 5 minutes for everything to close without force closing anything.  But the launch is the worst part.  

That's certainly not ideal. Can you send me:

  • The debug logs from one (or more) of these slow starts so I can see what's going on
  • Which storefronts you have enabled and what their import setting is (all, installed, none)
  • Do you happen to see any games being imported multiple times, perhaps from the storefronts?
  • Also, it would help if you enabled and repeated startup test: Options -> General -> Share optional performance diagnostic
  • Separate to the above, if you disable Options -> General -> Automataed Imports does startup improve dramatically?

This will help out a lot, thanks!

Posted
4 hours ago, AzgoRAth said:

I figured out how to replicate the issue. So if im running any emulator from bb and any of the other 2 screens are the active windows instead of the emulator and I close/shut down the emulator, the double control thing happens. In order to stop it, I have to click on bb so it becomes the active window and then that fixes it temporarily. Which means I must try to remember not to have any other window active when i close the emulator. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of multiple monitors though.

 

Can you clarify a couple things for me...

"double control" - when it happens, does one button press move twice inside Big Box, or do Big Box and the window your other screen both react to the controller?

Would you mind sharing what other window you have that isn't the game or Big Box?

Big Box intentionally tries to ignore controller inputs when it does not have focus EXCEPT for bound hotkeys (exit game, pause screen, volume, screenshot, bring BB back up front). Are you asking for this to be different?

Posted
6 hours ago, Vader said:

Now we're getting somewhere, thanks!

What I can see is:

  • Big Box was technically ready in about 37s
  • Your startup video was 97s and Big Box naturally plays to the end, you can of course skip this but you already know that
  • A mysterious 48s delay before you even see the video (plus the 97s to watch) account for most of the apparent delay. This is my main area of concern but neither the logs or diagnostics tell me very much.

I THINK if you removed/disabled your startup video BB would load "much faster" but that doesn't fix the issue, of course. I will likely need to add some better logging/diagnostics to beta 2 to get to the bottom of this.

Posted
On 9/28/2026 at 11:38 AM, MysterNybble said:

You should be able to see a leaderboard summary, from a game's leaderboard try clicking your name. That should open a "player page" with all of them.

The blue Install button simply means that a game is somehow marked Not Installed. If you Edit one of those games and look at the Installed dropdown it should show that. This hasn't changed much from how 14.0 was working for ROM games, was that what you were using?

Do you still have access to your data prior to the beta (might be in your backup folder) to see if you compared to see what those values were before? Obviously, you can use Bulk Edit to fix all these games, but if something in 14.1 changed the value, I'll have to do some more digging.

Also, do you remember what tool you used to import these games into LaunchBox, just in case that is usful.

Let me know what you know!

Thanks, @MysterNybble.
Concerning the installed status. I used the mame importer ages ago for my Arcade platform. In version 14.0, the games showed as "Installed". After the 14.01 update, they showed as "Not Installed". And when I attempted to edit the install status, it wouldn't stick. Yesterday I updated to "Installed" status via the bulk editor for a couple of platforms and some games. It looked fine then. But when I opened LB just now, the status was back to "Not Installed".

Also, I saw the player leaderboard summary page you mentioned. Very cool! But I can't get to mine because I'm below the top 100. It would be great if I could click my name to see it or if there was another tab with my summary in the Leaderboard modal. (See image below)

You and the team are doing great work! Thanks again.

image.thumb.png.0d8fe0055239098e6c2c6a291b3dd27b.png

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, MysterNybble said:

Now we're getting somewhere, thanks!

What I can see is:

  • Big Box was technically ready in about 37s
  • Your startup video was 97s and Big Box naturally plays to the end, you can of course skip this but you already know that
  • A mysterious 48s delay before you even see the video (plus the 97s to watch) account for most of the apparent delay. This is my main area of concern but neither the logs or diagnostics tell me very much.

I THINK if you removed/disabled your startup video BB would load "much faster" but that doesn't fix the issue, of course. I will likely need to add some better logging/diagnostics to beta 2 to get to the bottom of this.

FWIW, the load time I mentioned, was up to the point that the startup video starts, so from time that I double click on the Bigbox or Lunchbox icon, to the time that it loads or the startup video starts it is about 48 to 50 seconds.

Edited by Vader

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...