Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

Posted
4 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

(this is more of a comment than anything)
Bug aside, is it possible that you have previously had a platform named "Play Station (KR)"?  As in you imported games into a platform using that name and subsequently deleted all games in that platform.  vs. deleting the platform.

If you drag & drop ROMs and by default, "Play Station (KR)" is the 'selected' platform, my guess is that if you cancel that import and go to Tools-Manage Platforms, you'll have a platform with that name showing 0 (zero) games.

 

(note to the developers)
I've experienced this as well and have heard at least one other report regarding this.  I did not test the "restarting LaunchBox brings back the delay on the next first import."

My test on this, "Saving Games" (drag & drop 4 ROMS) took a solid 2 minutes. Which I can see feels like 5 to 10 minutes. ;) 

Edit: Windows 11 (26H2)  Did not test on Win 10 cab.

I'll try to confirm myself, but if you did get a debug log on this, might be useful to compare against :)

Posted
3 hours ago, Rlad said:

Startup/Shutdown: FAST!

Wheels: SMOOTH!

Not specific to this Beta but got me to notice it, i'd expect the platform view font to change when changing the game details title font.

 

Screenshot 2026-10-09 143201.png

Screenshot 2026-10-09 143214.png

Appreciate the confirmation that perf work is noticeable :)

I'll chase the font thing. What you say does instinctively makes sense, so I'll double check it isn't different for an actual reason.

  • Like 1
Posted
8 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

(this is more of a comment than anything)
Bug aside, is it possible that you have previously had a platform named "Play Station (KR)"?  As in you imported games into a platform using that name and subsequently deleted all games in that platform.  vs. deleting the platform.

If you drag & drop ROMs and by default, "Play Station (KR)" is the 'selected' platform, my guess is that if you cancel that import and go to Tools-Manage Platforms, you'll have a platform with that name showing 0 (zero) games.

Thanks for the tip, Joe! I dug into it and I think I found what was actually going on.

Whenever I imported PS1 ROMs, import wizard window showed a page saying a few BIOS files were missing. Since everything ran fine anyway, I always just skipped it. This time I sorted out all the missing BIOS files. The popup stopped appearing, and suddenly the target platform is preserved correctly on every custom platform, including Game Boy Advance (JP).

That’s the only thing I changed. Looking back, the issue seems to have started around the time LaunchBox began asking about BIOS files, rather than with a specific version, so I suspect the two are related.

One more odd thing: as a test, I removed the PS BIOS from RetroArch’s system folder again. This time LaunchBox didn’t ask about the BIOS at all, even after restarting the app, and the target platform still works correctly everywhere. So I’m honestly a bit confused, but it definitely looks connected to the BIOS check somehow.

9 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

My test on this, "Saving Games" (drag & drop 4 ROMS) took a solid 2 minutes. Which I can see feels like 5 to 10 minutes. ;) 

Ha! I’ve had it take 2 minutes too, but sometimes it genuinely goes past 5 minutes! 😄

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

First off thanks for all the details :). That said, not sure what you mean by this? https://feedback.launchbox-app.com/ is the official bug reporting form for live builds.

Ah, sorry for the confusion! What I meant was Help > Report Issue inside LaunchBox. It asks me to sign in with my Unbroken account. I follow the popup and sign in through the browser, and the browser says it’s complete and I can close the tab. But back in LaunchBox, nothing changes. it’s still asking me to sign in. Clicking the Reload button at the bottom doesn’t do anything either.

Thanks for sharing the feedback site link though, I’ll use that from now on!

4 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

Can you confirm Joe's suggestion, I think he's right. If that doesn't pan out, do you recall when this last seemed to work ok so I can compare the code?

Joe’s suggestion pointed me in an interesting direction. Whenever I imported PS1 ROMs, LaunchBox warned that a few BIOS files were missing, and I always skipped it since games ran fine anyway. Once I resolved all the missing BIOS files, the popup stopped appearing, and for a while the target platform was preserved correctly on all my custom platforms.

Oddly, when I removed the PS BIOS from RetroArch’s /system folder again to test, LaunchBox didn’t ask about the BIOS anymore, even after restarting, and the import still behaved correctly.

However, I spoke too soon. Shortly after, my Famicom (KR) platform started defaulting to Nintendo Entertainment System again. So the BIOS fix may have been a coincidence, or it only affects some platforms. It seems intermittent rather than tied to one specific platform.

As for when it last worked reliably, I can’t pin it to a specific version, sorry. I’ve included a Famicom (KR) drag & drop import in the debug logs below, in case that helps.

4 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

I shall take a look; debug logs might be useful here if you can provide them. Might point me to where the time goes.

Debug logs most likely will help me here, if you can provide them that would help.

Here are the debug logs. In this session I reproduced the following:

  1. The first-import “Saving Game” delay, which took 4 minutes 33 seconds this time (timed with a stopwatch). The media download finished around 2:06 PM, right after the delay ended.
  2. A drag & drop import into Nintendo Famicom (KR), where the Import Wizard defaulted the target platform to Nintendo Entertainment System
  3. The Alternate Names file access error 

Hopefully they cover all three issues.


@JoeViking245 Quick follow-up: I spoke too soon. My Nintendo Famicom (KR) now defaults to Nintendo Entertainment System again, so the BIOS thing may have been a coincidence. Thanks again for looking into it!

Debug 2026-10-09 01-59-57 PM.log

Edited by xmas
Posted

I have a large game library, and seem to have improved startup time in the latest beta... which is appreciated.

The weird thing is that after opening the beta 2 version, my desktop mouse pointer has become very small... I guess maybe related to DPI stuff (which I am never running at 100%)?

Posted

Something seems to be up with the Play Time syncing.  I switched the account over on the cloud menu and a few games now have wildly inflated play time and play counts.

image.png.4c648ee828d978d3d006a0213d5240c1.png

 

Per dolphin I should be at 23 hours and I've only been playing a week so 773 is very off. I manually changed it back to what it should be but when I relaunched the game and came back it had jumped even higher than before. The sync status at the top is saying out of sync and could not connect to the launchbox games database.

Posted
19 hours ago, MysterNybble said:

I'll try to confirm myself, but if you did get a debug log on this, might be useful to compare against :)

Today's import (6 games, no images/videos) only took just shy of one minute.

Started import (clicked Finish) at x:53:30 (53 minutes and 30 seconds).
"Saving Games" at 53:51
Done at 54:49

(times noted above are from the PC's clock [lower right] which I have set to show seconds)
Debug 2026-10-10 04-52-21 AM.log

 

This one was 2 minutes "Saving Games" (note the date puts it prior to this beta series)
Debug 2026-09-24 07-34-33 AM.log

 

 

Posted
13 hours ago, Drybonz said:

I have a large game library, and seem to have improved startup time in the latest beta... which is appreciated.

The weird thing is that after opening the beta 2 version, my desktop mouse pointer has become very small... I guess maybe related to DPI stuff (which I am never running at 100%)?

@JoeViking245 @MysterNybble
Was this already on the radar? The DPI little mouse pointer after beta 2.
I first noticed this when I ran launchbox on my 4K tv.
But also today my mouse pointer got really small, but only after 'after closing launchbox' and when Launchbox does it's cleaning and saving I guess.

So somewhere in that speed-up of the closing has to be some new code that lowers the size of the mouse pointer.
No crash, so I cannot provide any logs other than that it happens at the exact same time, as described above, and only after closing launchbox.

In windows itself, the pointer size is set at the exact same size I already had, at 1, but when I use the slider, slide it back and forth and back to 1 again...then it's OK again.

So, I'd categorize it as just a minor annoyance above anything else, having to resize my pointer.
other than that...noticeably faster for me😊

Posted (edited)

Tiny mouse pointer here as well. Wasn't sure what was causing it, but see now others have the same thing.

It happens right after closing LB. The cursor disappears for a split second, then reappears tiny. Reboot Windows will fix it. Then after reboot, launching LB again it will be fine... until you close LB again. Then tiny cursor comes back and stays until reboot.

Edited by dukdukgoos
  • Like 1
Posted
16 hours ago, Drybonz said:

The weird thing is that after opening the beta 2 version, my desktop mouse pointer has become very small... I guess maybe related to DPI stuff (which I am never running at 100%)?

 

2 hours ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Was this already on the radar? The DPI little mouse pointer after beta 2.

 

8 minutes ago, dukdukgoos said:

Tiny mouse pointer here as well. Wasn't sure what was causing it, but see now others have the same thing

It may help the developers to know:
- Your Windows version/release (e.g. Windows 11, 26H2)
- Your monitor/TV specs (y'all running on a 4k TV?  Laptop?)
- Your display settings Scale (e.g. "100% Recommended)")

If your scale is set to something other than 100%, if you change it to 100% (or "Recommended") does it make a difference for the cursor?

Posted

Windows 11 25H2, 4K samsung monitor. Display scale 150% (the recommended setting what Windows sets for 4K monitors)

I tested with setting my scale to 100%, went to my neighbor and got his reading glasses, came back and tested it.
At first testing...seeing as the cursor was at size 1, nothing happened after closing Launchbox. Meaning, the cursor did not change size. 
Looking good I thought.........

However, seeing as size 1 is really the lowest setting, I decided to also test it by giving the mouse pointer a size of 6 while scale was still at 100%
image.thumb.png.5bf59b043bcbb859b1e085524d7b5b5c.png

When I did that, and opened launchbox again...then closed Launchbox...the mouse pointer also dropped from that size 6 to a size 1.
The settings in windows still showed size 6, but after closing launchbox it did drop down visually to the size 1.

Confirming that while the 4K and scale might have something to do with it. But whether that scale is set to 100, 150 or 200 does not matter much.
Cause for me whatever scale I use before I start launchbox, it will drop the pointer to a size 1. (unless scale is already at 100% and the size is already at 1 for the mouse pointer...then everything stays the same)

Running windows with scale 100% is not an option cause my neighbor really wants his reading glasses back.
 

  • Like 2
Posted

I've actually had this mouse pointer size issue for several versions. It usually manifests itself after playing a ROM through retroarch. But, it can do it almost any time I close LB. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, eMonster420 said:

I've actually had this mouse pointer size issue for several versions. It usually manifests itself after playing a ROM through retroarch. But, it can do it almost any time I close LB. 

never had it before version 14.1 and for my, only after latest beta I encountered this, the change with the faster shutdown

Edited by launchretrogirl2562
Posted
Hi everyone,
 
I am using a 4K monitor. Before updating to LaunchBox 14, all badges displayed perfectly without any issues.
Since the update, the badges look very blurry and pixelated. I found out that checking "Override high DPI scaling behavior" (set to Application) under the compatibility properties fixes it instantly.
However, this setting completely resets every time I reboot my computer. Even using the "Change settings for all users" option does not stick; Windows reverts it after every PC restart.
Has anyone experienced this behavior since version 14, or knows how to make this fix permanent?
Thanks!
 

 
 

Screenshot 2026-09-23 124406.png

 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kedog said:
Hi everyone,
I am using a 4K monitor. Before updating to LaunchBox 14, all badges displayed perfectly without any issues.
Since the update, the badges look very blurry and pixelated. I found out that checking "Override high DPI scaling behavior" (set to Application) under the compatibility properties fixes it instantly.

Probably the same thing as the shrinking mouse cursor issue.

Posted
On 10/9/2026 at 2:03 PM, AzgoRAth said:

I can confirm with the latest beta that the retroachievements window in BB doesnt crash BB anymore and the double control bug is fixed too. Awesome job.

Thanks, appreciate the confirmation that it's working now :).

Posted
23 hours ago, xmas said:

Ah, sorry for the confusion! What I meant was Help > Report Issue inside LaunchBox. It asks me to sign in with my Unbroken account. I follow the popup and sign in through the browser, and the browser says it’s complete and I can close the tab. But back in LaunchBox, nothing changes. it’s still asking me to sign in. Clicking the Reload button at the bottom doesn’t do anything either.

Thanks for sharing the feedback site link though, I’ll use that from now on!

Joe’s suggestion pointed me in an interesting direction. Whenever I imported PS1 ROMs, LaunchBox warned that a few BIOS files were missing, and I always skipped it since games ran fine anyway. Once I resolved all the missing BIOS files, the popup stopped appearing, and for a while the target platform was preserved correctly on all my custom platforms.

Oddly, when I removed the PS BIOS from RetroArch’s /system folder again to test, LaunchBox didn’t ask about the BIOS anymore, even after restarting, and the import still behaved correctly.

However, I spoke too soon. Shortly after, my Famicom (KR) platform started defaulting to Nintendo Entertainment System again. So the BIOS fix may have been a coincidence, or it only affects some platforms. It seems intermittent rather than tied to one specific platform.

As for when it last worked reliably, I can’t pin it to a specific version, sorry. I’ve included a Famicom (KR) drag & drop import in the debug logs below, in case that helps.

Here are the debug logs. In this session I reproduced the following:

  1. The first-import “Saving Game” delay, which took 4 minutes 33 seconds this time (timed with a stopwatch). The media download finished around 2:06 PM, right after the delay ended.
  2. A drag & drop import into Nintendo Famicom (KR), where the Import Wizard defaulted the target platform to Nintendo Entertainment System
  3. The Alternate Names file access error 

Hopefully they cover all three issues.


@JoeViking245 Quick follow-up: I spoke too soon. My Nintendo Famicom (KR) now defaults to Nintendo Entertainment System again, so the BIOS thing may have been a coincidence. Thanks again for looking into it!

Debug 2026-10-09 01-59-57 PM.log 1.14 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for the logs, based on yours and Joe's I think I know what's going on. The usual domino train of performance, you fix one thing by doing less work, then you need the work later. In this case it appears the cause is because the library isn't fully loaded (because we don't need it) but in order to "combine ROMs" the code then needs to fully load it. I'll see if I can optimize that bit of it to reduce this.

The logs unfortunately don't show anything useful for the default target platform, but I'll do a deeper code review around here to see if anything makes sense in your scenario.

Based on your logs I think I know what's going on with the alternate names error, I'll chase that and see where it leads (I think it's trying to rename the media but is unable to for whatever reason).

Also, thanks for pointing out the issue reporter was broken, seems irony still exists in today's world. I'll figure that out too :D.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...