LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME No Nag 2.1.8

(3 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

MAME 0.218 NO NAG

It’s time for MAME 0.218, the first MAME release of 2020! We’ve added a couple of very interesting alternate versions of systems this month. One is a location test version of NMK’s GunNail, with different stage order, wider player shot patterns, a larger player hitbox, and lots of other differences from the final release. The other is The Last Apostle Puppetshow, an incredibly rare export version of Home Data’s Reikai Doushi. Also significant is a newer version Valadon Automation’s Super Bagman. There’s been enough progress made on Konami’s medal games for a number of them to be considered working, including Buttobi Striker, Dam Dam Boy, Korokoro Pensuke, Shuriken Boy and Yu-Gi-Oh Monster Capsule. Don’t expect too much in terms of gameplay though — they’re essentially gambling games for children.

There are several major computer emulation advances in this release, in completely different areas. Possibly most exciting is the ability to install and run Windows NT on the MIPS Magnum R4000 “Jazz” workstation, with working networking. With the assistance of Ash Wolf, MAME now emulates the Psion Series 5mx PDA. Psion’s EPOC32 operating system is the direct ancestor of the Symbian operating system, that powered a generation of smartphones. IDE and SCSI hard disk support for Acorn 8-bit systems has been added, the latter being one of the components of the BBC Domesday Project system. In PC emulation, Windows 3.1 is now usable with S3 ViRGE accelerated 2D video drivers. F.Ulivi has contributed microcode-level emulation of the iSBC-202 floppy controller for the Intel Intellec MDS-II system, adding 8" floppy disk support.

Of course there are plenty of other improvements and additions, including re-dumps of all the incorrectly dumped GameKing cartridges, disassemblers for PACE, WE32100 and “RipFire” 88000, better Geneve 9640 emulation, and plenty of working software list addition

Please visit @MadK9 

Happy Gaming

What's New in Version 2.1.8   See changelog

Released

What's inside the Zip!

horizont.ini                Place in your MAME ini folder. it's used for default horizontal background configuration
horizontal.zip            Place in your MAME artwork folder.  it contains artwork for default horizontal background
vertical.ini                  Place in your MAME ini folder.  it's used for default vertical background configuration
vertical.zip                 Place in your MAME artwork folder.  It contains artwork for default vertical background

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

18 hours ago, Fablog said:

@NJDave71 thank you! I'm looking for the 0.200 nonag, maybe you still have it and could upload it again?

I don't believe I have this version anymore. I will have to see if I have it backed up.

3 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

Version .0214 should be posted soon. 

Keep up the great work!  I was dealing with issues with Rocketlauncher and Mame and wanted to try the newest version (I had .213)  I decided for the next couple days i could use the original verison of .214, so I don't know why I posted.

11 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

Keep up the great work!  I was dealing with issues with Rocketlauncher and Mame and wanted to try the newest version (I had .213)  I decided for the next couple days i could use the original verison of .214, so I don't know why I posted.

.0214 is now posted.  Enjoy

• Like 1

Thanks NJDave!  Excuse me for my ignorance, is there a way to also ditch the opening "initalizing" screen with that white border, in other words, just have it black loading into a game?  LordMonkus said set skip_gameinfo 1 but that's already set in the mame.ini.

Thanks!

Edited by flytechguy

On 10/30/2019 at 3:17 PM, flytechguy said:

Thanks NJDave!  Excuse me for my ignorance, is there a way to also ditch the opening "initalizing" screen with that white border, in other words, just have it black loading into a game?  LordMonkus said set skip_gameinfo 1 but that's already set in the mame.ini.

Thanks!

Hello NJDave71,

I'm running a customized version of MAME 0.209 that I downloaded somewhere from the internet and it may or may not have originated from you. My MAME 0.209 currently starts up without any nag screens including the "initializating" screen with the white border that is present for me in your NO NAG MAME 0.216. I have another thread in this LB forum asking about my version of MAME and with some helpful LB members led me here. I tried to simply replace the MAME64.EXE with your NO NAG 0.216, but the "initialization" screen with the white border is now present and in addition for me it is also defaulted to GLASS in the video option which I was able to mitigate with use_backdrop 0 in the mame.ini file for 0.209 which defaults back to FULL screen. It seems your 0.216 does not contain the video options my version have. I also tried to run your NO NAG MAME 0.216 on another computer, the initialization screen still pops up when starting a ROM and the video option to change GLASS to FULL screen is not there as well.

1. Under MAME artwork in the MAME.ini,  the use_backdrop 0 is no longer taking affect in the mame.ini file for 0.216. In the past, this had solved my default GLASS backdrop from loading automatically in 0.209 and to default to FULL instead in every game which I preferred.

2. In 0.216, there is now an initialization screen that briefly pops up for all ROMs or even when starting mame.exe by itself. Anyway to get rid of that? I've been using the -skip_gameinfo 1 command line in launchbox and ensured this was in the mame.ini file as well which didn't have any effect either to remove this initialization pop up window.

Thank you!

The initialization screen is part of the MAME rendering and meant to handle changes in screen resolutions.  I have reviewed lots of programming notes on ways to suppress it but i have been unsuccessful on my end.   Let me see what changes in the new year.  

On 7/27/2019 at 11:59 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Oh that. Go into your mame.ini and set skip_gameinfo to 1

I've done this on mame .201 and I still get nag screens, anyone else get this?

5 hours ago, alexeon said:

is there a way to make it use the vertical / horizontal bezel by default even if i have other bezels in the folder?

There is a configuration line "override_artwork"  in each of the files  Simply Uncomment the line by removing the # next to it. 

Replace genhorizont with horizontal (default artwork file name for your horizontal games)
Replace genvertical with vertical (default artwork file name for your vertical games)

horizont.ini
#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#

fallback_artwork horizontal

# Uncomment next line to use this for all games
# override_artwork genhorizont

vertical.ini

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#

fallback_artwork vertical

# Uncomment next line to use this for all games
# override_artwork genvertical

Happy Gaming

I was sorry to read that you will no longer be releasing these. Thank you for doing it for so long. I've attempted to build MAME before, but failed many times. Could you recommend a good online tutorial for building a no-nag Mame release?

Thank you NJDave71!  I heart you brother!  Thanks again for all your work on the NoNag builds all this time, and I am stoked you decided to put out one more release...  I hope they keep coming! 

All the best

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phoenix415 said:

Thank you NJDave71!  I heart you brother!  Thanks again for all your work on the NoNag builds all this time, and I am stoked you decided to put out one more release...  I hope they keep coming! 

All the best

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

Any chance of getting a .225 version?  Thanks

See this post here which TL;DR is that not doing updates beyond 224 at this point based on changes to MAME in 225:

With 225 there is a new option to set flag for disable repeated warnings (although time based).  Place this in ui.ini under UI MISC Options:

skip_warnings             1

• Like 1

@sundogak Yeah I saw that, but to me I don't ever want to see the nag screens.  This is a better compromise , but still not what I am looking for.  I would prefer to see the screen 1 time and not see it again.   So... i'm hoping some people still make the nonag.

• Like 1