LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0 3.4

(13 reviews)

22 Screenshots

About This File

Happy Christmas or Yule brothers!

Arcade 3D Boxes 2.0

Important: Press follow button in the upper right corner to get notified for any future updates to this project, future updates to this page will not be pushed to the "What's New" section.

I was inspired by the Mame 3D Boxes by @Robin55 and @Reevesad and the work by @spycat and @MadK9 

At first I experimented to convert Robin's work to a darker color as it fits my dark colored setup better, one thing let to another and was helped enormously by @Robin55 in the process of automation and more, if it wasn't for all his help and work this project wouldn't have happened, thanks again so much brother! \m/

The 3D boxes are mostly for the Mame set (could include other emulators as well) but only includes Arcade video games, no pinball, fruit machines and such.

Features:

• Covers based on official flyers, instruction flyers or fan art, customized official artwork and more. I've hunted down previously artwork missing from databases and/or very rare flyers, original resolution of these images can be low some times.
  • Each box has a logo for the game, if it was missing I've hunted it down or extracted it from images (I upload these logos to the database as well)
  • Each box has a logo of the company that either developed or published it (some flyers may have a different publisher from another region, bit confusing at times)
  • Each box is manually color corrected, cleaned and optimized
  • Some games have a second alternative version, made from cabinet side art, marquees or from a different region for example

Please remember if you miss boxes to also check the naming convention of the file and if it is the same as the most recent version in the database. Any entry with "The" in front (Like The Astyanax) will be included in the QRST pack.
NOTE! : After installing the images you have to select all (or any alphabetical range) arcade games (CTRL+A = select all) go to Tools and click 'Refresh selected images', let it load and cache and the games should now display the right 3D boxes. 

Hope you like :)

Credits
Thanks go out to anyone contributing and making art for the launchbox games database.

Thanks for any help, encouragement and advice:
@Robin55 @spycat @MadK9 @Reevesad @Jason Carr @Kondorito @zetec-s-joe @Fablog @andyco47 @mikty @PoloniumRain

Special thanks to:
@neil9000 and @Retro808 for those logistics ;) \m/

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

What's New in Version 3.4   See changelog

Released

- Added DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou thanks to @PoloniumRain for making it

• Like 42
  • Thanks 23
  • Haha 1
  • Unusual Gem 8

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

17 minutes ago, PaulyC said:

Thanks for the update @Mr. RetroLust

I'm a little confused on which are the updates though.  Are the new ones the 5, 0-Z_UPDATE_PACK.zips?

The newest one is on the bottom of the list.

Fantastic boxart. Thanks 👍

Pity we can't view them anymore in BigBox Coverflow anymore, since the new 3D boxart was implemented (unless I am missing something)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zugswang said:

Fantastic boxart. Thanks 👍

Pity we can't view them anymore in BigBox Coverflow anymore, since the new 3D boxart was implemented (unless I am missing something)

Thanks man. If im not mistaken you can turn off 3d models now in the latest beta release, see last post at: 

6 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thanks man. If im not mistaken you can turn off 3d models now in the latest beta release, see last post at: 

It looks like they have just stopped 3D models from being shown in Coverflow, so basically if you use Coverflow on any theme in BigBox,  3D boxes (or any boxes that are not completely square or rectangular are totally useless.

Edited by zugswang

7 minutes ago, zugswang said:

It looks like they have just stopped 3D models from being shown in Coverflow, so basically if you use Coverflow on any theme in BigBox,  3D boxes (or any boxes that are not completely square or rectangular are totally useless.

You can turn it off in BB settings under views, it displays the semi 3D boxes like it used to for me.

8 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

You can turn it off in BB settings under views, it displays the semi 3D boxes like it used to for me.

I just tried that and that just displays 2D boxart if you untick that option ?

Are you saying these 3D boxes that are in the Box - 3D folder will display as is in Coverflow ?

17 minutes ago, zugswang said:

I just tried that and that just displays 2D boxart if you untick that option ?

Are you saying these 3D boxes that are in the Box - 3D folder will display as is in Coverflow ?

In my theme Neon Deluxe arcade I see the old (semi) 3d boxes now, I cant remember if I hard coded it to this image type in this theme or if I set it by using the key/controller binding for "change view" or named  something of that nature, it'll allow you to change image categories on the fly in certain views.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

In my theme Neon Deluxe arcade I see the old (semi) 3d boxes now, I cant remember if I hard coded it to this image type in this theme or if I set it by using the key/controller binding for "change view" or named  something of that nature, it'll allow you to change image categories on the fly in certain views.

Yes I see it working ok in your theme, I was using CriticalZoneV2 - BlueBox and it won't work on that or a few others.

Hopefully they will add an option per system one day so we can just disable it on certain systems.

Thanks for info 👍

• Game On 1

Hi @Mr. RetroLust love your work!

May you be able to do Mazan: Flash of the Blade? I wanted to replace my NAOMI boxarts with yours.

Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop to use the tools or capability to do so. Alas. the universe has willed I become a programmer. 😅

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, k_rollo said:

Hi @Mr. RetroLust love your work!

May you be able to do Mazan: Flash of the Blade? I wanted to replace my NAOMI boxarts with yours.

Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop to use the tools or capability to do so. Alas. the universe has willed I become a programmer. 😅

Glad you like :) Not sure if you've seen this but I did a complete set for naomi in another style (in case you like) https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/4109-mr-retrolusts-sega-naomi-3d-boxes/

Here's the box:

mazan.thumb.png.d18e37e4cb4f33edfe627efb4edaf6ad.png

• Thanks 1

Hey @Mr. RetroLust thanks so much for still being around to fill in requests. The Mazan box is great!

I found the NAOMI 2 set you did recently and I'm using that. Didn't know you had the NAOMI set too. Thanks for letting me know, now my NAOMI/2 sets match. ☺️

• Game On 1

17 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

How do I apply the 23 files attached? Do some of them make others unnecessary? Do I need to do them all in a particular order?

I don't remember if some make others unnecessary as its been aome years but the normal way is first unpack the packs in alphabetical order and then the update packs and loose files, if it needs overwriting then you can do so. You can skip the source and tutorial file. If you still miss boxes after this you can try using the media downloader which takes boxes from the LB database as others have made boxes and uploaded them there as well.

On 10/29/2023 at 5:00 AM, WraithTDK said:

How do I apply the 23 files attached? Do some of them make others unnecessary? Do I need to do them all in a particular order?

What I did was download all files (packs and loose) and combine them all in a single folder, overwriting old files with new ones.

34 minutes ago, Eckers569 said:

Amazing work - thank you. Saved me sooo much time and they look fantastic.

Glad you like :)

@Mr. RetroLust This is missing DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou so i made my own box below in the exact same style and res. Feel free to use it if you like. MAME removed support for this game due to a cease and desist email, but FinalBurn Neo will play it and so will custom versions of MAME.

It must take you an absurd amount of hours to make these box sets! I really appreciate all the time and effort, especially the level of quality. The one thing i'd ask is if you could do slightly higher res versions in the future being as they look a little blurry on 5K monitors. It will also future proof them.

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PoloniumRain said:

@Mr. RetroLust This is missing DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou so i made my own box below in the exact same style and res. Feel free to use it if you like. MAME removed support for this game due to a cease and desist email, but FinalBurn Neo will play it and so will custom versions of MAME.

It must take you an absurd amount of hours to make these box sets! I really appreciate all the time and effort, especially the level of quality. The one thing i'd ask is if you could do slightly higher res versions in the future being as they look a little blurry on 5K monitors. It will also future proof them.

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou.png

Thanks I'll add it to the collection! Glad you like them :) I'm not planning to redo them in a higher resolution, takes (took) too much time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting an error when trying to add the logo to the box with the ImageMagic bat file and no image is created. Could you look into this, please?

magick: no decode delegate for this image format `PNG' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/746.

15 minutes ago, Knowcontrol said:

I'm getting an error when trying to add the logo to the box with the ImageMagic bat file and no image is created. Could you look into this, please?

magick: no decode delegate for this image format `PNG' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/746.

Have you tried reinstalling ImageMagick? Something may have stepped on a dependent library/file.

50 minutes ago, Knowcontrol said:

Sorry bro I can't help you out with that, I don't use this software anymore for quite some years.