LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels 5.9

(14 reviews)

21 Screenshots

About This File

Note: This thread will not be pushed to the front in the "whats new" section, if you want notifications for future updates to this file be sure to follow this page by using the follow button in the upper right corner

Part of the "Lights Out - Realistic Bezels" series, for RetroArch bezels in this series see: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1950-mr-retrolusts-lights-off-retroarch-bezels/

About:

2000 Realistic bezels in 3840x2160 resolution for MAME. My goal was to make bezels for around 1300 MAME games I had in my collection but I ended up making around 700 bezels more.

I started this project in 2019 and finished it in 2022. I used existing high quality artwork but also cleaned a lot of previously unavailable artwork which @Mr. Do had in his amazing collection. I searched high and low with google images to find existing artwork, which took me to Japanese websites oftenly using google translate and research to get to those obscure images. The quality isn't always as high but I made sure I always used the highest quality I could find. 

Note: These artwork packs are made for older versions of Mame, if you use Mame 0.226 and upwards and find these files don't work right please see this post as you need to have them in a different lay structure: 

NOTE: This original project uses a reflection and scratch layer to add a realistic effect, it defines the style of the project, this is not for everyone. But please don't request "a clean verion" as I haven't kept the layer formats for all these 2000 games, this project is what it is.

==============

Installation:

Place the zip files inside the packs in mame/artwork/ 

Also be sure to curve the screen in Mame effects, you can use the preset files I've included in the downloads but they are for an older version of Mame (0.198) so they might not work on newer versions. To learn more about effects in Mame be sure to read this well: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

==============

Credits:

Most of the artwork used are from the most excellent @Mr. Do & the many team members: http://mrdo.mameworld.info/index.php
For NeoGeo artwork much artwork came from: http://www.neogeosoft.com/
For Flyer artwork the amazing: https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/ and https://www.flyerfever.com/
Some artwork used from: https://www.verticalarcade.com/ which has amazing vertical bezels, be sure to pay them a visit.
Some artwork used from imbord3rlin3: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/high-resolution-scan-database-scans-as-a-free-service.24725/

Special thanks to the following people, without them this project wouldn't be what it is: @ArsInvictus John Merrit, @Briball @cmgssilva @Orionsangel @Boz1978 @L4ZYD4NE @Manson976 UDb23 @IainSA TheGuru, Smitdogg, CAG, DrVectrex, tbombaci, italie, MAMEWorld, Ad_Enuff, UDb Raspbear, @destrowade @CKL @Thoggo @Antny @Dreamstate Andyaust

Edited by Mr. RetroLust
Added Mame effects description

What's New in Version 1.8   See changelog

Released

v1.8

- Added Pack 05

• Like 31
  • Thanks 16
  • Game On 2
  • The Cake is a Lie 1
  • Unusual Gem 14

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

gantraz

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Just awsome 😁

But is there a way to get hold on your raw files? I would like to remove the glance in the screen.

Response from the author:

Thanks glad you like them :) I haven't saved the raw files of all the bezels.

• Thanks 1
Link to review
Captain Star Paw

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

These are amazing, both visually and the effort is truly impressive. Love the nuanced, ambient feel for each artwork. My only critique is that I wish the artworks were offered with two view modes, one for Scratched and one for Clean, or a controllable opacity layer to reduce the prominence of the scratches. Anyways, great work and thank you for all the continual updates! 

• Thanks 1
Link to review
bverlander

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Thank you for all of your hard work. These are truly stunning.

• Thanks 1
Link to review
retrospace

Hello, all good?

First of all, I would like to thank you for all the content that I have made and made available to the community. Honestly for me it is the best thing we have on the internet when it comes to MAME in my humble opinion.

I would like to ask you, according to the artworks that I say that I finished for MAME, how is it done by Mame in the configuration in LB so that two games with the stockings that I created are contemplated? I would like to know, could you explain this please?

I mean, in the MAME roms setup on Launchbox. Also what's the type of Mame you use: Split, Non-Merged of Merged roms.

Thanks.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the review man, much appreciated :)

It's better to post your questions in the comments down below of this page so we can communicate back and forth, I can only reply once in this review section. To answer one of your questions; I use Mame 0.198 non-merged so I can delete games I don't want. There's no real reason to be using 0.198 though, its just the set I used when I first set it up and havent looked back, though in the mean time some games where taken out of the Mame sets, I believe it was some Cave shooters due to copyright claims if i'm not mistaken.

• Thanks 1
Link to review
Bakala

Hello, thank you very much for the super contribution you have made. I have a doubt, the bezels look very dark, is there any way to make them look brighter?

Thanks glad you like :) The project is called "Lights out" so it's part of the style, the only way to brighten them is either turn up the brightness or backlight of your display or use an image editor.

• Thanks 1
Link to review
TekkamanBlade

F!@# dude! Really good job! Thanks for taking the time to make these and share it with us. Words are not enough! 

Aw thanks man, happy gaming! :)

• Thanks 1
Link to review
drseussicide

absolute perfection.

Thanks, glad you like ;)

• Thanks 1
Link to review
-McFly-

Every star is well deserved, well done to EVERYONE involved, fantastic work!!

Thanks man, have fun! :)

• Thanks 1
Link to review
markus259

· Edited by markus259

What a masterpiece, hats off to all involved! 

Thanks and happy arcade gaming :)

• Thanks 1
  • Game On 1
Link to review
LaunchRoo

If it's even possible this makes playing Arcade games even better! Wonderful job Mr Retro!

Thanks man and also thanks for all your support during this project, have fun! ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Game On 1
Link to review
bliberche

Merci infiniment pour tout ce que vous avez fait pour ce projet 😍 je vous suivez que depuis quelque temps les artwork sont d'une qualité vraiment magnifique  

Thanks bro, glad you like :)

• Thanks 1
Link to review
Starman99x

2 of 3 members found this review helpful 2 / 3 members

The most amazing MAME artwork pack out there, but those screen scratches are super annoying in dark games (glare can be distracting too), I get the whole realistic theme and respect it, but this is too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to review
chris30

2 of 3 members found this review helpful 2 / 3 members

C'est tip top, c'est vraiment du bon boulot ! merci beaucoup?

Chris 

• Thanks 1
Link to review