LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels 5.9

(14 reviews)

21 Screenshots

About This File

Note: This thread will not be pushed to the front in the "whats new" section, if you want notifications for future updates to this file be sure to follow this page by using the follow button in the upper right corner

Part of the "Lights Out - Realistic Bezels" series, for RetroArch bezels in this series see: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1950-mr-retrolusts-lights-off-retroarch-bezels/

About:

2000 Realistic bezels in 3840x2160 resolution for MAME. My goal was to make bezels for around 1300 MAME games I had in my collection but I ended up making around 700 bezels more.

I started this project in 2019 and finished it in 2022. I used existing high quality artwork but also cleaned a lot of previously unavailable artwork which @Mr. Do had in his amazing collection. I searched high and low with google images to find existing artwork, which took me to Japanese websites oftenly using google translate and research to get to those obscure images. The quality isn't always as high but I made sure I always used the highest quality I could find. 

Note: These artwork packs are made for older versions of Mame, if you use Mame 0.226 and upwards and find these files don't work right please see this post as you need to have them in a different lay structure: 

NOTE: This original project uses a reflection and scratch layer to add a realistic effect, it defines the style of the project, this is not for everyone. But please don't request "a clean verion" as I haven't kept the layer formats for all these 2000 games, this project is what it is.

==============

Installation:

Place the zip files inside the packs in mame/artwork/ 

Also be sure to curve the screen in Mame effects, you can use the preset files I've included in the downloads but they are for an older version of Mame (0.198) so they might not work on newer versions. To learn more about effects in Mame be sure to read this well: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

==============

Credits:

Most of the artwork used are from the most excellent @Mr. Do & the many team members: http://mrdo.mameworld.info/index.php
For NeoGeo artwork much artwork came from: http://www.neogeosoft.com/
For Flyer artwork the amazing: https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/ and https://www.flyerfever.com/
Some artwork used from: https://www.verticalarcade.com/ which has amazing vertical bezels, be sure to pay them a visit.
Some artwork used from imbord3rlin3: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/high-resolution-scan-database-scans-as-a-free-service.24725/

Special thanks to the following people, without them this project wouldn't be what it is: @ArsInvictus John Merrit, @Briball @cmgssilva @Orionsangel @Boz1978 @L4ZYD4NE @Manson976 UDb23 @IainSA TheGuru, Smitdogg, CAG, DrVectrex, tbombaci, italie, MAMEWorld, Ad_Enuff, UDb Raspbear, @destrowade @CKL @Thoggo @Antny @Dreamstate Andyaust

Edited by Mr. RetroLust
Added Mame effects description

What's New in Version 5.9   See changelog

Released

- Bundled all updates together to the first update pack

• Like 31
  • Thanks 16
  • Game On 2
  • The Cake is a Lie 1
  • Unusual Gem 14

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 3/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, Mr. RetroLust said:

I didnt kept all the files in layered format just the ones that can be used regularly around 30 or something, I will release those when the project is complete. But even with those files you'd have to remake all of them and find all the artwork, a big job lol been at it for a few years now.

The default bezel zipped folder has 4 overlays; Horizontal, Vertical, and a Horizontal and Vertical for the Japanese cabinets. With Photoshop or GIMP one could edit the reflections and scratches by hand on those 4 images. Shouldn't have to edit every game. I do agree that the scratches are very prominent but unfortunately what really throws me off is the background reflection onto the game screen. But I'm pretty sure those 4 overlay PNG's will solve this issue as that is where those imperfection graphics come from. 

Edited by Drakkorcia

9 hours ago, Drakkorcia said:

The default bezel zipped folder has 4 overlays; Horizontal, Vertical, and a Horizontal and Vertical for the Japanese cabinets. With Photoshop or GIMP one could edit the reflections and scratches by hand on those 4 images. Shouldn't have to edit every game. I do agree that the scratches are very prominent but unfortunately what really throws me off is the background reflection onto the game screen. But I'm pretty sure those 4 overlay PNG's will solve this issue as that is where those imperfection graphics come from. 

different strokes for different folks, its not for everyone.

Merci infiniment pour les mises à jours de votre travail 

Je vous envoie beaucoup d'amour pour ce que vous avez fait vous avez rendu à l'arcade savoureuse merci infiniment  ❤️❤️

Edited by bliberche
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bliberche said:

Merci infiniment pour les mises à jours de votre travail 

Je vous envoie beaucoup d'amour pour ce que vous avez fait vous avez rendu à l'arcade savoureuse merci infiniment  ❤️❤️

Awww thanks man :) Glad to see you enjoy them ;)

Got a little bit of an odd issue here - when I use these (which I love by the way!) my bgfx settings (scanlines etc) all disappear

When I change back my artwork folder to the bezel project, they work...

Literally the only change I make... any ideas why that would be?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Got a little bit of an odd issue here - when I use these (which I love by the way!) my bgfx settings (scanlines etc) all disappear

Glad you like :) I really havent got a clue why that would happen, sorry man.

8 hours ago, vaderag said:

Im a bit slow lol but only now I realize you mentioned BGFX, for me HLSL works much better for effects, maybe switching to that will allow the artwork and effects, read: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

12 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Im a bit slow lol but only now I realize you mentioned BGFX, for me HLSL works much better for effects, maybe switching to that will allow the artwork and effects, read: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

Thanks - this might be a bit off topic for this thread! But, Mame docs seem to imply that BGFX is for (nearly) everyone and seemed to be the more modern implementation hence why I settled on that for my new setup (I was using HLSL in previous setup!)

2 hours ago, vaderag said:

Thanks - this might be a bit off topic for this thread! But, Mame docs seem to imply that BGFX is for (nearly) everyone and seemed to be the more modern implementation hence why I settled on that for my new setup (I was using HLSL in previous setup!)

Its been quite a few years since ive setup my mame configuration but I heared back then that bgfx wasnt as good as hlsl and I did have problems using bgfx but I cant remember what it was. Anyhow you could try it out to see if that fixes the problem.

A big thank you for this beautiful collection.
The subtle effects create an extraordinary atmosphere, I feel like I'm back in the late 80ies 😁

I just spent two week updating the lay files to the new artwork system (MAME 0.226 onwards) because some of them became incompatible with it (especially files with screen overlays).

If you wish I can send you a private link so that you can publish them by yourself or if not, would you allow me to share this work here and/or at Mameworld please?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kloug666 said:

A big thank you for this beautiful collection.
The subtle effects create an extraordinary atmosphere, I feel like I'm back in the late 80ies 😁

I just spent two week updating the lay files to the new artwork system (MAME 0.226 onwards) because some of them became incompatible with it (especially files with screen overlays).

If you wish I can send you a private link so that you can publish them by yourself or if not, would you allow me to share this work here and/or at Mameworld please?

Thanks man, good to hear ;) Ah yes I was afraid of that, i'm using an older Mame version. You can upload it here in the Launchbox downloads, a link in the description to this original project page would be nice :) Good luck man!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

You can upload it here in the Launchbox downloads, a link in the description to this original project page would be nice :) Good luck man!

Many thanks, I've just started to upload everything 😊

• Like 1

hi, i have a little issue. When i run a game directly from Arcade64.exe, i can correctly see it, with the bezels and so on, like this:

arcade.png

but if i run it from LB/big box, it is in fullscreen and the image isn't correct, bezels at left/right aren't totally visible:

launchbox.png

why? how can i view the game in the same way as from Arcade.exe?

thanks

45 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

hi, i have a little issue. When i run a game directly from Arcade64.exe, i can correctly see it, with the bezels and so on, like this:

arcade.png

but if i run it from LB/big box, it is in fullscreen and the image isn't correct, bezels at left/right aren't totally visible:

launchbox.png

why? how can i view the game in the same way as from Arcade.exe?

thanks

I use Mame standalone for arcade games not arcade64, so I'm not sure if the settings are the same. There is an option in video settings called something like artwork crop, this should be set to off. Its also possible the artwork crop settings are set by launchbox somewhere in launch parameters (dont know the exact place or words for it) which override the mame settings. Hope someone here can explain it better.

yes, the Artwork crop in unchecked, and it perfectly works when i run mame games from Arcade64.  The issue is present only if i run them from LB/BIG BOX: probably there should be an option in LB in order to fix this...

1 hour ago, legolas119 said:

yes, the Artwork crop in unchecked, and it perfectly works when i run mame games from Arcade64.  The issue is present only if i run them from LB/BIG BOX: probably there should be an option in LB in order to fix this...

See this answer: 

Man this is so awesome!
Thanks for all the time and effort you have put in to this. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapSwey said:

Man this is so awesome!
Thanks for all the time and effort you have put in to this. 

Cheers!

Thanks man, glad you like :)