LaunchBox Community Forums

WoodPanels 3.7.0

(6 reviews)

14 Screenshots

About This File

WoodPanels has the old school retro feel of playing games on an old TV in a room with bad, green carpeting, but golden wooden paneled walls.  The video game console or platform appears above or beside the television to match that look and feel.  It is paired with a set of 8-bit fonts to complete the experience.

• Designed for 16:9 screens on a 1080p monitor.
  • Unique views for 47 platforms with game videos, game 3D/2D box art, and game cart images.
  • Consoles are paired with one of five different TVs from the same decade they were released.
  • "Wall View" for looking at game boxes on shelves is accompanied by the platform logo and image of the original console packaging.

Trailer:

Installation and Setup Instructions:

Spoiler

Unzip in LaunchBox/Themes/WoodPanels. In BigBox under Options>Views>Theme> choose "WoodPanels"
1. To ensure you're viewing the image of the console and TV alongside the game list, go into the BigBox Menu (hit Esc on your keyboard or back on your controller) and select "View Platforms".
2. To view the carousel of devices in your platform view, go into Options>Views>Platform List View> and select "Platform Wheel 1".
3. Lastly, to make sure you keep this view the next time you start BigBox, go into Options>Views>Default Startup View> and select "Platforms".
4. For N64, SNES, Jaguar, Genesis, Sega 32X, Atari 5200, and NeoGeo, you need to download the game cart images AND you need to set your LaunchBox settings so your fallback images are disabled for this, otherwise when you have a missing game cart image it will pull something else and look...bad.  LaunchBox Options>Media>Cart Front Priorities>Uncheck all but "Cart - Front"
5. To enable a the "Wall View", change BigBox Options>Views>Games List View>Wall View.  Switch it back to "Text List with Details" if you decide to go back.

To replace the background image (in case you don't literally want wood panels), just replace the png with your desired 1080p background image (png file) under the directory:
\LaunchBox\Themes\WoodPanels\Media\Background\

Startup Video:

Spoiler

This is a startup video I created for my theme.  It features a logo for "Nescade" which is what I call my multi-emulator PC, as it sits inside of an old Nintendo's shell.  I commissioned Rushjet1 a while back to compose an original piece of 8-bit music specifically for this video.  Hope you all enjoy it!

Instructions for use: Place video file in the LaunchBox folder under /Videos/Startup/

Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru

Edited by BMovieBen
number of systems supported increased

What's New in Version 3.7.0   See changelog

Released

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, BMovieBen said:

Hey there...so evidently some updates to BigBox caused my theme to break on the 'playlist' views.  I can look into it, but to be honest, I only included really basic support for Playlists because I had to in order to submit it for inclusion in BigBox.  The WoodPanels theme, the way it was built...is not dynamic.  That was done due to the limitations of the theme creator application at the time and in the interest of speed and performance in BigBox.

Here's what it used to look like before it broke.  I couldn't get the video to dynamically resize per platform, so it's just the 80s TV with no platform image.  If you're still interested I can try and get this working again.  That said, I have been working a while on a new theme that is basically a WoodPanels 2.0, and is dynamic and will do exactly what you're looking to achieve, but I'm again running into performance issues.  It's funny timing actually, I'm working with y2guru this week to try and get some help for that.  So you could wait for that if you want instead.  It looks a little different and doesn't use the wood panel background by default but I'll include it as an alternate just in case folks want it back.

image.thumb.jpeg.447a013453b42c6118c334292bd73389.jpeg

I can totally wait for your new project. I've just started using LaunchBox and RetroArch, and I have lots of other "growing pains" to deal with. So your current theme (without playlists etc.) can easily tide me over for a long time.

And I greatly appreciate you preserving the "wood" as an alternate look in your new project. I love the fun and child-like aesthetic your current theme has - and I think the wood and carpeting greatly contributes to that!

14 minutes ago, FamShoppa said:

I can totally wait for your new project. I've just started using LaunchBox and RetroArch, and I have lots of other "growing pains" to deal with. So your current theme (without playlists etc.) can easily tide me over for a long time.

And I greatly appreciate you preserving the "wood" as an alternate look in your new project. I love the fun and child-like aesthetic your current theme has - and I think the wood and carpeting greatly contributes to that!

Thank you for that review by the way, it made my day when I read it.  I feel like my little theme gets drowned out by all the new fandangled modern ones out there!  Any interest in testing an early version of the new theme?  Let me know and if you're interested I'll PM you when it's ready for testing.

• The Cake is a Lie 1

9 minutes ago, BMovieBen said:

Thank you for that review by the way, it made my day when I read it.  I feel like my little theme gets drowned out by all the new fandangled modern ones out there!  Any interest in testing an early version of the new theme?  Let me know and if you're interested I'll PM you when it's ready for testing.

Wow, great to hear! I'd love to test it for you. My current setup of LaunchBox and RetroArch is "trial and error", as I experiment and learn optimal settings. So testing out a new theme wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm visiting the forum almost daily, so I'll definitely see your personal message. Look forward to it! :) 

Edited by FamShoppa

I'd love to test out V2 when when it's available. If I can make a suggestion (if it's possible) can the playlist features support being shown under consoles. Something like if I press OK on just the snes it takes me to my main collection but if I press down it displays the additional playlist (that I have linked to separate hidden platforms) as to not clutter up the main collection. 

BTW I'm loving this theme and have had some friends switch over to it. We've enjoyed changing out the backgrounds and the "Modern" tv to the monstrous rear projector I had during that generation of consoles.

Playlist.png

TV.PNG

Edited by II39
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, II39 said:

I'd love to test out V2 when when it's available. If I can make a suggestion (if it's possible) can the playlist features support being shown under consoles. Something like if I press OK on just the snes it takes me to my main collection but if I press down it displays the additional playlist (that I have linked to separate hidden platforms) as to not clutter up the main collection. 

BTW I'm loving this theme and have had some friends switch over to it. We've enjoyed changing out the backgrounds and the "Modern" tv to the monstrous rear projector I had during that generation of consoles.

Playlist.png

TV.PNG

First of all, I love the customizations you have made! Looks incredible.

Second, I am not sure what exactly you're asking for. Playlist support in general or for playlists to be listed alongside platforms in the platform selection wheel (first screenshot)?

11 hours ago, BMovieBen said:

First of all, I love the customizations you have made! Looks incredible.

Second, I am not sure what exactly you're asking for. Playlist support in general or for playlists to be listed alongside platforms in the platform selection wheel (first screenshot)?

My bad I should have included a better visual and explained more. I feel like I've seen this before in Launchbox but it's been years since I've messed with anything on here so I'm not even sure if what I'm asking is possible. I'm looking for a way to not have "unofficial" games cluttering a selection without also cluttering the console list making separate "consoles" for say SNES Hacks, SNES Translations, SNES Homebrew.

In my research I've read you can create a separate console in LB, mark it to not be shown in BB, set all games to a playlist and then link that playlist to another console. This making those games only visible if I'm in the SNES platform and change to view the Hacked/Translations/Homebrew playlist, Essentially keeping my main SNES section "official"

I dug up some Kodi screenshots to give a better idea of what I'm visualizing. Something similar to how they have Recently Played, Genres, Year, ect under the main section.

I think having sub categories/playlist under each console would be great for Hacks/Translations/Other regions. So say I clicked on SNES it takes me to my main selection, but if I press down while on SNES it shows the additional playlist that can then be selected.

best-kodi-skins.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, I have published my new theme "Game Room", which is a spiritual sequel to WoodPanels.  It supports more platforms, more screen aspect ratios, metadata, and playlists!  I have also included a familiar looking wood background as an alternate option if you still like that better 😁.  Please take a look and give it a try!

@II39@FamShoppa@SeerOfChaos@Gulash@midas@russticles@retrogamer459@Ricardo35@Maul83@shinerlaaaa@sqdz@bundangdon@comet988@northnut@ninken@SixStringD@Banditt@NOMAD0P@Klopjero@slumlorddaddy@AustNerevar@Sheep83@TwoLegsJim@y2guru

Edit: One more note, as Game Room largely replaces WoodPanels, I do not plan to make any more updates to WoodPanels going forward.

Edited by BMovieBen
  • Like 4

On 1/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, II39 said:

My bad I should have included a better visual and explained more. I feel like I've seen this before in Launchbox but it's been years since I've messed with anything on here so I'm not even sure if what I'm asking is possible. I'm looking for a way to not have "unofficial" games cluttering a selection without also cluttering the console list making separate "consoles" for say SNES Hacks, SNES Translations, SNES Homebrew.

In my research I've read you can create a separate console in LB, mark it to not be shown in BB, set all games to a playlist and then link that playlist to another console. This making those games only visible if I'm in the SNES platform and change to view the Hacked/Translations/Homebrew playlist, Essentially keeping my main SNES section "official"

I dug up some Kodi screenshots to give a better idea of what I'm visualizing. Something similar to how they have Recently Played, Genres, Year, ect under the main section.

I think having sub categories/playlist under each console would be great for Hacks/Translations/Other regions. So say I clicked on SNES it takes me to my main selection, but if I press down while on SNES it shows the additional playlist that can then be selected.

best-kodi-skins.jpg

I think with BigBox you may just need to create playlists for Hacks/Translations/etc.  You can also sort them by favorites/not favorites, or you can mark specific games as "hidden", and then in BigBox, turn the toggle on to hide "hidden" games.  But I don't know that BigBox allows sub-categories underneath a Platform. I think it goes Platform Category > Platform and that's it.