LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

SentaiBrad said Most of what you've asked for is actually planned. So just give it time. Remember to all the new forum posters, Jason is the only coder on the project, with a family and job. So sometimes, certain area's can take a while to get updated. If its on the list, its on the list. :P
Is the list shared somewhere? Just wondering what stuff is being considered down the line and what not to ask about.

Haelstrom said Heya. First, I'll note I have a pretty big collection in LaunchBox, and it's always ran a little bit slow until that performance optimization a few betas back - now I can scroll through my platform libraries pretty smoothly either in LaunchBox or in the BigBox mode. Reporting a positive success there. (Win10 with my LaunchBox/collection on SSDs, 7,000 titles.) Now for my greedy suggestion. I really like adding music/movies to each file in BigBox, but I was wondering if there was a way to do that with platforms (and the "front page" of BigBox mode) as well. Example: You select Nintendo 64 in the scroll menu, and then you can have a general N64 trailer or whatever playing. Having that (with an option for a default soundtrack to play in the background while navigating BigBox until you select whatever) would make for more of an arcade experience, IMO. Unless this is already doable to some degree. Then I'm blind. Much obliged on the program in general, I've messed with a lot of different frontends for years and this has been the best by far.
Thanks, @Haelstrom. These are planned for platforms but I admit that I didn't realize I should do it until I saw it all together. I probably won't have this in before 5.0 but hopefully soon. :)

I see that error now, guys. Not sure how I missed it before, but hopefully I can get it fixed tonight. @bookw, I do maintain a public list here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox Unfortunately right now it's a tad bit out of date, but it is the master list.

Hahaha it happens... I am reading it right now and I am genuinely excited, I mean, right now LaunchBox seems very complete, and now I am imaging all/most of those features included and I can't even think of the awesomeness it will be. How do you manage it? I mean, how do you pick things to do, like, lets say tomorrow you wake up and choose a random one? or how?

New beta is out to fix the issue with the automatic updater. Automatic updating is broken with the last release in Big Box, so you'll need to update from LaunchBox instead. Also, just to note I'm seeing some stability issues that are showing up since beta 35. I think I know what is causing them but I'm still working on a solution.

Actually, curious to know if anyone else is seeing any stability issues. I just realized my system was on the fritz because Visual Studio was eating up all my RAM for some reason. Windows told me it was out of RAM...odd. So I'm not sure if the freeze that I saw was valid or not.

Mine seems to be running good. I thought I was having issues with BigBox transitions still but I realized that I was launching BigBox on startup and when I was going through it right away the system was sluggish due to running other startup programs after that it is working very well. I'm going to restart LaunchBox now and install the new beta.

Jason Carr said @CliveBarker, how are the Spanish translations in Big Box? Are they all working properly?
The few elements translated are working fine, altough I will probably going to send you the new resource files tonight or tomorrow. With those finished I will be able to check how well is translated Big Box working

@Jason no stability issues here either last beta or this new one went through most platforms fast and their games in BigBox no slowdowns tiny bit of lag in nintendo 64 platform scrolling through the games but less than a second so overall very very good. Didnt notice the error in updating as i tend to update through LaunchBox and always do a clean images and cache before updating. No slowdown in games ran few dolphin and ps2 games briefly as they tend to be the most cpu and gpu intensive platforms and noticed no problems (and safetly say mine is one of the oldest computers 2006 model) with an intel motherboard.

Jason Carr said Oh, I forgot to tell you guys. If you run LaunchBox on Windows 10 your hard drive will crash.
Interesting. I've been running it constantly on Win10 without any issues. Anything in particular on Win10 that leads to this?