LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

scree said Hi Jason I just installed this beta via BigBox. Installed perfectly, although I couldn't get the BigBox Yes button to accept mouse click. No sign of the db files issue that Martin had.
I assume you have the mouse enabled in Big Box?

Bil said This may have been mentioned before, but when I adjust the details sidebar position, it never saves. Instead, it reverts back to its default position the next time I run LB.
Hmm, that's strange. I've actually never heard that before, and of course I can't reproduce it. Can you upload or send me your LaunchBox.xml file to jasondavidcarr at gmail dot com? Thanks.

Just put out another beta with some Big Box animations; I didn't want to be adding things this late in the game before 5.0, but I can't leave well enough alone. I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out. I have a pretty killer animation engine behind it all, so the possibilities are pretty much endless. I left it relatively toned down because I haven't gotten around to adding settings for transitions yet, but if you can envision it, I can add settings for 10 or more different transition options for everything separately. So I think that is gonna be pretty awesome. I'm curious how well it all performs for everyone, especially on older machines. Obviously, we will provide the option to turn all animations off before the final release (in case your machine doesn't measure up or you just like to keep things simple).

Hi! ^_^ I'm back with new feedback. :) I love the new animations in BigBox but I found a pretty serious bug that I never saw before. It's a constant crash when I navigate the game list of ANY platform on BigBox. I receive a random error and then the software crashes or image of the whole window freezes until I kill the process through task manager. I've attached a good couple of screenshots here. Captura-de-pantalla-51.png Captura-de-pantalla-52.png Captura-de-pantalla-54.png Captura-de-pantalla-53.png Captura-de-pantalla-57.png

Thanks guys, those are two different errors (@CliveBarker's and @GatoSoft's). @GatoSoft, unfortunately that error is a hard one to resolve, but it's usually associated with video hardware or driver problems, according to Microsoft. So first things first, try updating your video drivers. Also, remind me what version of Windows you're running? Supposedly the issue most likely has to do with the hardware acceleration required for the animations, and for whatever reason your system is tripping up on them. We'll see if anyone else has that issue. I'll be adding options to disable the animations, so worst case scenario, you can disable them and at least be able to use Big Box. It looks like I might be able to add an option to disable hardware acceleration as well, which might resolve the problem for you. @CliveBarker, I'll get that fixed. :)

Jason Carr said Thanks guys, those are two different errors (@CliveBarker's and @GatoSoft's). @GatoSoft, unfortunately that error is a hard one to resolve, but it's usually associated with video hardware or driver problems, according to Microsoft. So first things first, try updating your video drivers. Also, remind me what version of Windows you're running? Supposedly the issue most likely has to do with the hardware acceleration required for the animations, and for whatever reason your system is tripping up on them. We'll see if anyone else has that issue. I'll be adding options to disable the animations, so worst case scenario, you can disable them and at least be able to use Big Box. It looks like I might be able to add an option to disable hardware acceleration as well, which might resolve the problem for you. @CliveBarker, I'll get that fixed. :)
I find great that you are adding the option to disable the animations Jason, that can help users who suffer of slowdowns. I find the animations really awesome like GatoSoft said. I hope to see more of them in the future and thanks for checking my error

Hi Jason. The new image transition effect in BigBox is really nice and is not causing me any lag, and I'm on a 7 year old laptop. Just one little issue. If you go to the BigBox options page that shows Back, About, Options etc. and you bring up the About info box, and then either select Back to return to the platforms page, or Options to go to the options page, the About info box doesn't close. You either need to Exit BigBox or jump back to Desktop mode and back to BigBox again to solve this issue. On the BigBox update box YES button ignoring my mouse clicks, yes I have mouse enabled and can use it in BigBox, with this exception.

@Jason just updated to new beta works really love the transitions animations in BigBox no problems still as fast and fluid my specs as Core 2 Duo E5200@2.5ghz 4MB RAM Graphics Card (replacement one fan kicked out on last one) Asus Radeon R7 250 1GB DDR5 memory might be a good ideal for people to post their specs, whether Dedicated Graphics Card, Onboard Graphics, make etc for troubleshooting purposes. My machine is a really old machine came out in 2006 and has no problems with newest update.(thus far lol)

Jason Carr said Great to hear @CliveBarker. Just put out a new beta that I'm hoping will resolve that error for you. Let me know. :) This beta also includes @cyanjiang's latest fixes for Simplified Chinese.
The issue is resolved, thanks. I have a question: When I go to the About section in BigBox mode, I can seem to find a way to close the window that appears with the About info. No matter what I click or press it doesnt close. Is there a way to close it?

Hi Jason. Beta 29 is still crashing. I'm on an i7 laptop with ATI Card doing some testing. The animations are cool but I do notice a slight slowdown. How hard would it be to add a "Log Off" option for those of us that plan on using it as a shell? That way I can switch to my desktop user account for maintenance and stuff. Another idea for the future...... Security system to enter the settings area. Nothing fancy. numerical 4 digit code or controller pattern. Thanks again for what you're doing! EDIT ... Just got a new beta. LOL. That was fast. Ill let you know if it crashes.

Thanks everyone. I keep putting out new betas lol. Fixed the issue with the About box and languages; everything in Big Box should be translated properly now. @Game Lounger, good to know that you have the same issue as @GatoSoft. Can you give me as many details as you can on your Windows version and system specs? Also try updating your video drivers and make sure you're all up to date with Windows Updates.

So, It's known I don't normally care for BBM. I just don't have a use for it even though its beautiful. I figured out a use for it so I thought I'd test it out a bit. My system is no slouch, but the animations lagged bad. Everytime the system image would flip, it would freeze. I was gonna record a video for it to show it off, except that when I was going to start taking video, BBM crashed my Video Drivers. GTX 970 4GB.

Alright, for everyone who's experiencing problems with the animations in Big Box (@SentaiBrad, @GameLounger, @GatoSoft), please download the attached zip file and overwrite your current BigBox.exe and BigBox.exe.config files with the files in the zip. Basically, Big Box currently runs on .NET 3.5. I kept the version number low so that far fewer people would have to be bothered with installing a newer version of the .NET framework in order to use it. However, I am seeing some reports that using a newer version might help to resolve some of these issues. So, first off, you might need to install an updated .NET framework. Try running Big Box and see what it says. The files I attached use .NET 4.5.1. If the issues are fixed for any of you, we'll just have to make it require a later framework. It makes sense that Microsoft might be fixing these bugs only in the later frameworks.