LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Got an error report earlier while browsing Big Box... it didn't seem to cause any real troubles, just a little bit of slowdown... System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index) at BigBox.ViewModels.GamesViewModel.OnDown(Boolean held) at BigBox.Views.MainView.MainView_OnPreviewKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea() at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

hey everybody , dont know if this is the write place to post , but i have a question / suggestion is it possible to have a random music file play from a specified folder when a system is selected/highlighted (for each system) and browsing titles , or is it only game specific? or is it possible to have some random music play in the background over everything when browsing? if not this would be a great feature to add eventually thanksSmile

So is it okay if I shoot off some music thoughts/suggestions/requests at this point? I know I make a lot of feature requests, so I was going to hang back on that, but playing with the m3u playlists yesterday got my brain buzzing...

@Jason Congratulations on the 5.0 milestone Well Done. Working well as usual. Have been using m3u playlists since version 4.9, a great little program for creating playlists is Playlist Creator 3.6.2 love its drag and drop feature makes creating the playlists very fast. Playlists.jpg Would be great having a play playlist feature per platform. Again congrats Jason on the 5.0

Hi Nathan, absolutely. Feedback/ideas are always appreciated. Would probably be good to start another thread for it though. Thanks, Martin. I was planning on adding an option to play random game music for platforms, but it makes sense to allow custom music as well. I'll do that when I implement that stuff. :)

In big box mode, you know how you see the system at the top left corner? And then the games below it? How about if we can get the catories to show under the system name instead, and then we can press confirm on the catagory to reveal the game list that is related to the category (custom categories more desirable). - - Playstation 2 - Action Adventure Fighting Final Fantasy Worlds - - - *presses on Fighting* - - Playstation 2 - Guilty Gear XX Street Fighter Aniversary Street Fighter EX 3 Mark of the Wolves - - Reason being is because I like to view the game list organized instead of all games bundled together. -Also, can you add an option for the controller buttons to hide the game list/console logo in the part where you nagivate games? -Can we have this same option for the game details as well? -Can we have options in bigbox mode like desktop mode where we can customize how big the box art and video will be an where they will be positioned on-screen? -Can we have options to control the background image darkening? -Like Kodi Media Center, can we have option to where it will dim when idle for a user defined amount of time (even when a game is being played)? -xinput triggers don't register when assigning buttons. -In RetroArch, it gives anything you play the gamepad hotplugging ability whether they had it originally or not. Is it possible that you can do the same with Bigbox?

i think another good feature to add down the road would be to scroll by letters , kinda like in ios. cause i have over 5000 games , takes a while to scroll the stuff with complete sets like snes , nes etc or to have throttle controlled speed of scrolling via the triggers on a xinput pad.

Thanks guys. @shinra358, that extra level of organization makes sense; I like that. I'm currently working on filtering for the other types of data at the base level, so at least you can filter by genre, status, etc. instead of platform if you need. That I can see coming next. The background image darkening is already controllable in Options. I added dimming when idle to my list; the other items are all planned. Big Box is supposed to be work with hotplugging like Retroarch; have you checked the box to "Enable all attached controllers"? @MrSirrr, good idea on the triggers. But yes, we definitely need a way for faster navigation. The page up/page down buttons should help, but you can't hold them down, so I at least have a fix for that on the way.

Wow, that makes me excited. So your saying that if I, for instance, put FFIII steam into bigbox (a game that doesn't have hotplugging support) the game will now have that support (I know bigbox has hotplugging by itself)!? Please say yes, please say yes lol

Yes. For example, vba-m doesnt have this feature. But if you use the vba-m core in retroarch, it has it because retroarch makes it have it. I don't know if it's because it shares the same video window as retroarch but that's what I was asking whether or not that had anything to do with retroarch giving that emulator the ability.

Ah, I see. Yeah, unfortunately that's a pretty different scenario. With Retroarch, all of the emulators lie within the same Retroarch EXE, so it becomes the same application, so Retroarch can do pretty much whatever it wants to improve on the cores. Unfortunately, LaunchBox can't really do that. Retroarch requires that the cores be custom built for Retroarch, so we'd have to work with the code of pretty much every emulator to make that happen.

Alright, folks, just put out a new beta. Fixed some bugs, made Page Up and Page Down holdable, improved the performance on initial load while the box images are caching, and fixed sort titles. Unfortunately, though, one of the bugs that I've fixed is a glitch with the Big Box updater for official releases. Both versions 5.0 and 5.1 will crash if an official update is available, so you'll need to do your next update in LaunchBox instead of Big Box.

Another new beta out. I finally added a "Hide" field to games, so that you can hide games from your collection in LaunchBox and Big Box. I'm finding it really convenient to only show games with images and metadata completed in Big Box. Also supports bulk editing.