LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

About to try simply updating to 4.5.2 and trying it with the original beta 31. If that doesn't work then I'll give those files in the ZIP a try. So far beta 27 seems to be the winner for me. I don't care much for the animations and hope that there's a way to turn them off. About to restart. Ill be back with the results in a few.

Success. With .Net 4.5.2 and the original beta 31 it still crashes. Using the files in the ZIP fixed the crashing issue. I was not able to get it to crash. However, it is sluggish. Also the animation is hit or miss. Sometimes it animates and sometimes it doesn't. Jason please add a way to turn it off. I personally think speed and stability would get us closer to a release candidate. Thanks again Jason. Gonna go get something to eat and Ill check back later. Bye guys.

Also, on the platforms screen, the first time you load up each platform, it has to cache the box art images. That can be cause for lag when you first start it up after clearing the image cache (refresh images in LaunchBox). However, the cache is written to disk so it is persisted between launches.

This could very well be true. I'm using a relatively ancient (2008) Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with integrated Intel graphics chipset and I have no lag whatsoever on the BigBox images animation when scrolling through my platforms or through the games in the platforms. I only have 410 games in my LaunchBox database and my Images folder is 224 MB. Just for reference I have .NET framework 4.5.2 Version 4.5.51209

SentaiBrad said For comparison, my Image folder is 17GB.
Haha, I remember with my previous LaunchBox library months ago, a 12GB image folder and lag everywhere mainly due to my hardware. Hell I am not going to add my full library to LaunchBox again until I got my new PC, hopefully soon.

Hi Jason. My lag is exactly like brads. It's alot worse when inside the platform screen where you're trying to go through maybe 800 snes roms. This is on an i7 with 8 gigs of ram. Brad's not even going that fast. He's actually waiting for the effect to complete. In real world use you're not gonna do that. You're gonna go through as fast as you can. When you do that it looks bad. Most times you dont see the effect it just ends up showing the image. Just slower than without the animation. It lags and sometimes and just stops until the image loads. My images folder is small right now. Maybe 3 gigs. The animation effect is not smooth. I reverted my main installation to 27 and definitely noticed a speed difference in switching / scrolling. Jason on your i7 are you loading this off an SSD or HDD? I'll try your suggestions.