LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jason Carr said Thanks @shinra358. Per custom filters, I can't reproduce; they seem to be working fine for me. Can you confirm 100%? Can anyone else confirm? Per the keyboard, I assume you mean I didn't make the response time faster like I did with the game controllers? Good point, I'll look into that. I'm surprised about the waiting cursor though; didn't know that was happening.
I still have 2 custom categories up and they both have all the games in them. If I have to retype the categories they belong to again, shouldn't the custom categories be empty when I click on them? Nah, not that. Remember when I reported that holding the dpad resulted in the windows waiting cursor and a big lag after releasing and I showed you a video? What you did was took the ability for the list to keep scrolling if you didn't press the dpad again. But now, I don't think you did that for the arrow keys too and it's the same problem with those that it was with the dpad. So you fixed the dpad one, you just forget to do the same with the arrow keys. Here was the vid I showed you about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Et-g5w9NyA I don't remember the post number. Edit: nevermind about the filters. I had to set the filters in the individual games again.

tony971 said Any chance of folders being used as ROM destinations in 5.2? Or is that part of the "bigger changes/additions?"
Hi @tony971, that unfortunately won't make it into 5.2. I've got a pretty long list of things to tackle, so sadly I can't make any promises as to when I can tackle that in particular.

Yeah, we get those all the time, unfortunately. Anti-Virus applications these days are a joke; unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the false positives. All the anti-virus programs do is scare people into spending more money on more anti-virus programs. http://malwaretips.com/blogs/win32evo-gen-susp-virus/ That Win32:Evo-gen is just a generic "we think this might be an issue, but really we have no idea" report.

Jason Carr said New beta is out! I managed to pull off DirectX rendering for the games list and game details. Game scrolling is now smooth as butter.
Jason I have just tested this beta and let me tell you something: This change deserves to be the headline of the next official release. Even with weak hardware my LaunchBox and BigBox has no stuttering and everything is smooth. This is the more noticeable change in performance that I have tested. Thanks

Highlighter Sound Problem: when holding down any direction and fast scrolling through games on bigbox, the sounds are allocated to the press instead of if the highlighter moves or not, causing continuous noise when the highlighter isn't moving. So when you are at the end of the list and you keep holding a direction, the highlighter sounds will keep playing when they are not supposed to be because the highlighter isn't moving.

@CliveBarker, I have to admit I was tickled pink last night when I got that working. Not only does it make for awesome performance, it finally opens us up to stuff like animations in LaunchBox itself, or possibly even video backgrounds. Gone is the old-school GDI+ rendering that was holding us back.

And we have another new beta. This one is kind of a big deal. I've added custom AutoHotkey scripts to emulators; this should allow us to do things like make sure that the Escape always works for every emulator. We'll just need to put together default scripts for every emulator. Beyond that, it should provide some awesome flexibility options, if you're interested in diving into the scripts. I also removed the "v" when displaying versions. I chose to do that for flexibility; I figured people can put the "v" in themselves in the version field if they feel the need to do so.

New beta to address an issue with the AutoHotkey changes; errors come up if multiple instances of LaunchBox and/or Big Box are running. This is problematic anyway (has a chance to cause data corruption), so I've put safety checks in place to make sure that no two instances can run at the same time. Does this cause an issue for anyone? If I remember correctly, some people might have been using nested instances.

Hi Jason I updated to the latest beta and found that the AutoHotkey file was removed from the AutoHotkey folder within LaunchBox. Rolling back to the previous beta restores this file, and updating once more to the current beta deletes it again. Is this normal. Other than that, the new beta works perfectly in both LaunchBox and BigBox and the new Edit Emulators window looks good.

Hi @scree, yes; the new beta no longer requires the AutoHotkey.exe file for the AutoHotkey functionality (it now uses a DLL, which solves some of the previous issues users were seeing). So I delete the file just to clean that up. I just put out another new beta with default scripts for all the default emulators. They make it so that all default emulators now close out properly with the Escape key. There is more functionality that I'd like to add, but this is a start for now. I'm also planning on adding the same functionality to DOSBox, ScummVM, and Windows games. Though there will be no default scripts for those, likely. Also, for what it's worth, a list view is on its way. I have a very basic version of it working, but it's not accessible in this current beta. Stay tuned.

@Jason setup the controller keys in LaunchBox, set button 5 as the hold button and button 7 as volume up and button 8 as volume down. I then went into bigbox and setup the same controls in BigBox however it let me set button 5 as the hold button and 7 and 8 as volume until i went into my first platform tried the volume control on a video playing and it worked for a few seconds. i went back into the controls and the hold setting for button 5 wouldnt work in BigBox so i mapped it to button 6. Using the new hold button 6 and volume up or down wouldnt do anything, so i tried button 5 the hold button for LaunchBox and the volume up and down and it works. However now BigBox wont let me map button 5 as hold even though strangly it is working while BigBox hold is mapped to button 6. (Which really is no biggie, just thought i let you know the conflict between hold setting in LaunchBox/BigBox) Added bonus you just gave me as well LOL when i launch BigBox (My Media Films music etc version) through BigBox it is as smooth as butter and when i launch a film the hold key button 5 and volume keys work in the film (my default player is potplayer) and another added bonus you gave by pressing the key i mapped for close active window it closes down potplayer for me LOL. Kudos you have media working really well as an added bonus just have to try it with the music player next and see if it works that also.