LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

I don't think I was using the latest beta before. I just tried this new file and got a windows 10 popup (as before) saying that the file could be unsafe and then Kasperski wiped it out as soon as I told windows to proceed anyway. There are threads about Kasperski finding this kind of false positive for many years now. Doesn't seem like they ever fixed the problem, apparently.

Alright, I bit the bullet and installed Crapersky. Apparently my compilation process sometimes triggers it, and sometimes doesn't. So I just get to lovingly rebuild and rebuild and rebuild until Crapersky is satisified. It seems entirely random, sigh. This just shows how horrible their detection really is. If you trip their anti-virus, just rebuild your application and it'll probably work next time! Facepalm. So at least it looks to me like the issue is fixed now. I'm not really going to enjoy having Kaspersky installed (nor am I going to enjoy paying them for their crap software), but I guess I'll have to just deal with it. /rant

The guy who made that company also scares me. *shudder* I've never had a false positive with either Malwarebytes Anti Malware or IOBit's Malware Fighter (I don't usually use that second one, but it's still great and comes in Advanced System Care which I frikin love!) and the pro version is the best. It blocks malicious or certain connections going in and out (and tells you about it) and blocks certain known malicious sites from even loading. I've used this for 8 years now and it's been great if anyone wants to try it out.

Surely a false positive. The thing about Kaspersky is that years ago when I was looking for an antivirus for our home computers, after quite a bit of research, it came on top of many lists as the best, most accurate available at that time. In fact, if you look at PCMag's article on the best antivirus of 2016, it's still there at one of the very best based on tests done by independent labs. I have it for about 9 years now and this is seriously the first time I've seen this. I mean, downloading shady torrents can do this and it happened in the past, but with a commercial software this is the first time.

Yes, it was the "old" version of BigBox.exe 5.10. I've replaced the download now so if you reinstall the current 5.10 version over top the reports should go away. I tested it by installing the garbage on my own machine. Like I said above, every time I compile Big Box I get different results, without changing even a tiny bit of the code. Half the time Big Box compiles and doesn't trip Kaspersky, the other half of the time it does. It's really quite ridiculous; I wouldn't expect the binary results of a compile to be different when the code doesn't change, but apparently it is somehow or other, and Kaspersky throws a fit.

Yeah, those things suck. First release of my little app, someone mentioned that his antivirus got triggered as well. I ran it through virustotal and out of 56 antivirus, only one accused it as positive, but Kaspersky wasn't it :) I tried to run this through virustotal but the installation file was over their size limit for uploads, but I trust you guys :)

First try at using the Alpha numeric navigation caused BigBox to lock up and become unusable Crashed the second time too. So far it only crashes on the Atari 2600 games (unknown if that is because the size of the library) when I tried it with my Lynx games it worked perfectly. Tried it again and it only crashed so far with Atari 2600 games which maybe the only roms in this setup that are on a network drive and not a local disk that is the only difference that I see between any of the files.

Also on every computer I've installed the new beta I'm getting a crash warning and an error message saying that LB is already running once I close out both boxes the install continues as usual but I've noticed this on the last few versions I've installed Installing-new-betas.PNG

Jason Carr said New beta is out! Added two new features to Big Box: alpha-numeric navigation for long lists (just go left)
Very happy to see some organizational features getting some love. Thanks for this. :) *edit* I would really, really like to see desktop mode getting some similar features also.

DOS76 said First try at using the Alpha numeric navigation caused BigBox to lock up and become unusable Crashed the second time too. So far it only crashes on the Atari 2600 games (unknown if that is because the size of the library) when I tried it with my Lynx games it worked perfectly. Tried it again and it only crashed so far with Atari 2600 games which maybe the only roms in this setup that are on a network drive and not a local disk that is the only difference that I see between any of the files.
Odd, must be something in that list of games that is causing the crash. Can you send me your current LaunchBox.xml, Derek? jason@unbrokensoftware.com

I tested the new letter navigation in Big Box and noticed that the letters respond to only to the game's Title, but not to the game's "Sort Title." For instance, I have "The Dark Knight" with a sort title "Batman Begins 2", but for the letters "D" and "T" the list would pick "The Dark Knight." It would also remain stuck on that entry for the letters "E" through "W", at which point I could work from "W" backwards until I reached "T" (where it would hop back up to "The Dark Knight").