LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

wallmachine Per the performance issue with the wheel, that baffles me a bit. I haven't been able to reproduce it. You're saying that it works fine for three cycles and then lags...can you describe it a bit more? Is it three pages of items or just three items? It could be possible that it's lagging because there's only two items in the list, I suppose. Per VLC, unfortunately there's almost nothing further I can do to fix any performance issues. I've done everything I can. The only thing I can suggest there is to use the Windows Media Player video playback engine. We may need to add another engine at some point that has better performance, but for now I've done all the tweaking I can do before the 6.0 release. Per the menus, I know they're overly simple. We can go back and revamp them a bit eventually, but truthfully they're much less important than the rest of the functionality. They're simple and easy enough to use so I would imagine people would rather me work on views for Big Box than improving the settings.

shinra358 said fullscreen platform backgrounds like game backgrounds and dimming option for the bg platform names on the wheel.
Thanks, shinra. By fullscreen platform backgrounds, what do you mean? I believe you already can add fanart images to platforms and use them as backgrounds. Oh, do you mean using the same background for all games of that platform? I remember that now...think I answered my own question. ;)

currently, the picture of the console is in a small box and the background of the screen is black. I was thinking to maximize that small box to the bg. ok, cool. So what is that small pic of the console called again? "Oh, do you mean using the same background for all games of that platform?" no xD I mean making all items on the wheel darker that aren't highlighted. highlighted platform image - normal platform image - slightly dark platform image - slightly darker platform image- slightly darkest ya know, to show depth. easilest way to do that would be to just make a gradient vertical .png or something (with it being transparent) and lay it over the items on the wheel (but it has to lay under the layer of the highlighted object on the wheel.

Nice, the CoverFlow + details view is the view I'm most anticipated for! I love that kind of view since I discovered it through Kodi years ago. :) I would like to take the chance to address the backgrounds a bit, because as I said I really want that view but I also like the fanarts and it would be a bummer for me if it wouldn’t support that like the current CoverFlow view. 1. I know that you tried the backgrounds for CoverFlow in a Live Developer Session and it looked horrible with the cover reflections. A solution for this would be to fade the bottom of the background to black. Here’s a picture of Kodi using that method: 2. Also something what bugs me since a long time is that currently games without their own fanart just have a lame plain black background. It would be awesome if you could add the option that a game would just use the same backgrounds as the platform it's assigned to if it doesn’t have its own fanart, instead of simply just being black. I think that would improve the look and feel of BigBox a lot.

I'm having a strange issue with the metadata downloading. It seems like the downloaded metadata isn't being stored properly locally, because every time I go to look up a new game that I've added to the LaunchBox GamesDB, it re-prompts me to update the local metadata; and after I match a game, it doesn't show the typical LaunchBox ID # in the top right corner, and doesn't let me download any of the images for the game from the LaunchBox GamesDB. Is anyone else having this issue?

Just added some N64 games to launchbox it asked me to update my gamedb so i did, problem is every game shows up as having no front box art if you check images page you can't check mark front box art shows up as 0 this is for every game and it will only download clear logo and banner. I can click the launchbox db id link and it will open my browser every game i checked has front box images on the website. The platforms clear logo wheel looks very nice, there is just something off with the way it animates i don't know what it is maybe how slowly it animates to its full size? or the animation is low fps? when going full speed it looks good, maybe it just the slow animation to full size logo. also randomly clear logos will have about a single pixel line at the right edge of the image it goes away as you scroll around. example http://i.imgur.com/Y0Agnpk.jpg?1

Also every time you do a metadata search Lunchbox asks you if you want to update the database "An updated metadata package is available from the LauchBox Games Database. Would you like to download it before searching?"

Uploading a new beta now. We had two issues...the first of which was that I was relying on the Windows file system to give me accurate file system dates. I should've learned my lesson on that the last time I ran into that issue; that was causing the multiple downloads issues. Then the images were because we changed all the image type names on the games database. Doh. New beta will be up in a few.

New beta is up. I had forgotten about the restructuring we had done with the LaunchBox Games Database as far as images and such go, so the more testing you guys can do with imports and searches, etc., the better. I think I covered everything but I did push this out quickly because of the broken beta. Thanks all, let me know if you run into anything.

CADScott said I am having the same issues with metadata, constantly being asked to update the database, and also games showing as having no box art when adding new games. Some artwork is being detected, such as banners though.
Latest beta has fixed all the issues I was having with metadata, all seems to be working fine now.

I am having an issue that I am not getting the popup that asks me to update to the newest beta in the new wheels view so I have to switch over to launchbox to get the newest beta. I do get the popup in the BB default view and now it is asking me if I would like to update to the newest beta even though I have already tried 3 times. Launchbox is fine and showing I am on beta 10 but everytime I enter BB it ask me to update and shows I am on beta 9 and just keeps doing this over and over.

Jason Carr said Hi @FistyDollars, how newly added are they? What games are giving you trouble?
I added them myself at some point during the moderation contest; they're all on MS-DOS; they are Arkanoid, Cyberia 2: Resurrection, Shamus, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Harbinger, and Super Stardust. I also tried "Happily Ever After" on the NES, and Mad Panic Coaster and Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force for the Sony Playstation, and they don't work either, so it's not an issue with just the DOS platform. It's bizarre. It finds the game in the DB, but when I click it to match it, it doesn't match it with a LaunchBox ID #, so as a result I can't download any images for the games.

Okay, wow, sorry for all the trouble guys. There's a new beta out now; I've fixed the issues with the repeated update prompting in Big Box. @wallmachine, the error you're seeing there is what happens if you cancel the UAC prompt to install DirectX, or if you let it time out without allowing it. @FistyDollars, I think I know what's going on there. Working on that. Thanks all.

I'm on the latest beta and I've noticed that when I'm in Box Art View titles with "The" in front of them are sorted after the actual title which is good, but when I'm in list view sorted by title, it uses "The" as part of the title and they come under "T". Hope I made some sense. If not, I can provide some photos :)