LaunchBox Community Forums

ExoDOS Import

Jason Carr

@eXo will there be a changelog of any major differences between 2.0 and 3.0, specifically any games that will need updated entries in the GamesDB? Sorry if I've asked this before, I just want to make sure there aren't any scraping issues or discrepancies due to the version change.

Edited by FistyDollars

8 minutes ago, FistyDollars said:

@eXo will there be a changelog of any major differences between 2.0 and 3.0, specifically any games that will need updated entries in the GamesDB? Sorry if I've asked this before, I just want to make sure there aren't any scraping issues or discrepancies due to the version change.

Any changes I've made to the existing games shouldn't affect their games db entries as far as I can imagine. The metadata remains the same no matter what I do to it. Granted, there are some new games, but it's easy enough to see the ones that have no gamesdb entry by listing the unmatched games in launchbox.

As it stands, I don't think anyone should run the scraper on this collection until the games db entries are complete. Plus there are some issues that are simply software bugs. There are a handful of titles that exist in the gamesdb, but refuse to come up in the search results when you try to match the game. 

58 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Awesome, so I should just be able to point the new torrent at the current torrents folder to get a huge head start on downloading it, as the games themselves are largely the same?  Wonderful ;)

Sort of. You don't just point this to the same folder. 

Lets say you want to have your collection in a folder called eXoDOS. You need to copy your old collection INTO this folder. So you would have:

.\eXoDOS\eXoDOS\

If you wanted your collection in a folder called LaunchBox, you would copy your old files to that folder in:

.\LaunchBox\eXoDOS\

Does that make sense? Old files should reside inside a folder called eXoDOS under the new torrents file system.

56 minutes ago, Dan said:

I have the old 2.0 collection. So just to confirm - I delete this, download the new ones pack by pack and import into Launchbox as per the instructions?

Well, you can delete 2.0 if you want, but there is no reason to. You'll just have to re-download over 100gb of data again.

Also, there is no importing into Launchbox. The torrent includes launchbox and it includes the existing games already imported into it.

If you want to merge it with your existing launchbox install, you will need to be comfortable moving platform xml files around and moving the games and metadata over to your existing LB folder. 

Ok, so essentially you are going to copy exodos into your new folder before you start the download. Lets do a step by step.

First, lets make a folder called launchbox. The name doesn't matter and you can always rename it later. For this example, let us assume it is on your c:\

Second, copy your existing exodos folder into this new launchbox folder. (Note: If your existing exodos install is called something other than exodos, then please rename the folder to exodos.)

At this point you have:

c:\launchbox

and inside this folder you have a folder called exodos, 

eg: c:\launchbox\exodos\

Now, when you download the torrent, you point it to this launchbox folder you have created. It will see you already have a folder called exodos, and it will scan your files and only download files you are missing or that have changed. Presumably, only a few gigabytes versus 130gb.

Once it is done downloading, your setup will be identical to someone who is downloading it for the first time. At which point you can simply run my setup.bat file and it will setup launchbox for you, populate your xml files, and extract all the files you need in your exodos folder for everything to work. After about 5 minutes it will be done, and you can launch the launchbox.exe file and get right to gaming. Hopefully that makes sense?

• Like 1

Ok we have to folder structure and all the files from v2. Now all we need is the v3 torrent... No rush (HURRY!!!) but really, thanks for all the time and effort you have put into these packages over the years. I'll just be obsessively refreshing PD for now. My 1gbps will be dedicated to this at least until the 12 days kick off.

Edited by StammesOpfer
  • Thanks 1

eXo, you a true superhero of gaming preservation, thank you so much!

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but I have to be sure because of all the time I've put into my collection... I have over 46k titles in my launchbox across all platforms...also many, many custom playlists and some custom platforms too...I have the complete existing LB EXODOS/Win3XO collection (the win3x0 collection is fully installed in my case via your .bat process (over the exodos install)... will LB support those titles too? 

My most important concern is that I  don't want to lose access to my existing many thousands of other games/playlists by starting with a fresh launchbox config...this won't happen with your process will it?

56 minutes ago, cleverest said:

eXo, you a true superhero of gaming preservation, thank you so much!

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but I have to be sure because of all the time I've put into my collection... I have over 46k titles in my launchbox across all platforms...also many, many custom playlists and some custom platforms too...I have the complete existing LB EXODOS/Win3XO collection (the win3x0 collection is fully installed in my case via your .bat process (over the exodos install)... will LB support those titles too? 

My most important concern is that I  don't want to lose access to my existing many thousands of other games/playlists by starting with a fresh launchbox config...this won't happen with your process will it?

As I understand it from previous posts. This ships with a whole new instance of Launchbox. You can either use your existing and the new one separately or you can merge them. Make a backup of your existing setup if you are worried. It should be fairly simple to move the correct files over to you existing config. If you choose to merge this will wipe out you MS-DOS games for sure unless you manually edit your MS-DOS xml file (which would be very painful if more than a couple things).

Edited by StammesOpfer

Ok, a few things here:

1. It won't be going up tonight. File copying is taking too long. I'm hoping for tomorrow, however it may be sort of late as I'm taking my kids to a Christmas light show/ice skating place (which is a big deal in Texas when it's been in the high 80's for the past month)
  2. Just to be clear, I am only releasing Vol 1: Adventure tomorrow. I still have to work through the other 4 volumes in terms of getting them fully integrated into LaunchBox.  Also, I'm still working through my list of games to add to Vol IV and V. I'm figuring it will be a few months before all 5 volumes of version 3 are released.
  3. Win3xO will follow. I don't have an ETA on that one yet. Apart from the few weeks it will take to get all of the games added, I also have to run some scraping magic to determine how many new games will be included in the update. From a realistic perspective, it will likely be late next spring before it is ready. If earlier, then hey, happy surprise for everyone involved. Win3x will be easier to integrate though, as it is not split into multiple volumes and very few people have a Windows 3x platform already setup in their launchbox. So no worries here.
  4. Finally, I understand concerns folks have over my setup messing with their existing launchbox. I can tell you, I would never suggest anyone download my torrent directly on top of their existing LB install. While I can't think of anything in particular that would go wrong, it just feels like bad practice to me. Download this to it's own folder. I'm no launchbox expert, but the way I understand it is each platform is populated by it's own xml file. My set contaisn no xml file other than an MS-DOS one. So if you already have a dos games list with it's own stuff and you don't want to loose that, then you may need to re-assign my games to a new platform, such as eXoDOS. However, if you want my pack to be your MS-DOS platform, then I don't see any issues. Just copy the platform xml to your install of launchbox (in the data folder), copy the manuals, images, and finally the eXoDOS folder to your primary launchbox folder. This should populate it with all of my games without affecting any of your other stuff. 

To be very honest, I believe you can just copy the entire launchbox folder (after running my setup.bat) to your existing LB folder without it hurting anything. But doing the above steps would ensure that nothing wonky happens.

cleverest, if you want to test things, you can just copy the MS-DOS.xml file to your platforms folder and start launchbox. It should show my entire pack, but it will be missing all the cover art, screen shots, and nothing will launch. Copying the image & manual folders will fix the metadata, and copying the exodos folder will make the games work. 

Hopefully that helps a bit. I've tested it against my main install and everything went fine. But I've also learned over time that things can and will screw up for no reason sometimes. So i tend to be overly cautious. Maybe backup your existing DATA folder if you want to be super over protective safe. It's probably not a bad idea anyways, even if you don't install eXoDOS. You wouldn't want to loose all of your work due to one of those files randomly getting jacked up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks eXo, that sounds fairly clear - so the new torrent will only download the missing stuff if I point it to my existing exodos/win3xo folder as you describe. Would it be a similar procedure when downloading the other packs? This is going to be the biggest thing to hit Launchbox this decade :D

• Like 1

It's uploaded. Should be public pretty quickly.

As for my health, I have had herniated discs in my back for the past 10 years or so. Generally I'm ok, I just have to be careful with heavy lifting and such. Last Thursday I was carrying my son during this Christmas Event we went to and something slipped or moved or tore, I'm not sure. What I do know is I lost all feeling in my right arm and massive pain shot through my neck and shoulder.  Injected steroids got me moving again and have allowed me to use my right arm enough to manipulated my mouse and check email. It has been bothering me that I didn't get this posted, as I'd like it to be seeded fairly well for the 12 Days of Pleasuredome event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4