LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing - 6.8+

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr thanks for the quick turnaround on the latest beta! I refreshed all images but those clone rom images/clear logos for the arcade platform are still there. I had deleted them from LaunchBox quite a few betas ago and all was fine until 6.12 beta 1.

Edited by Charco

With the latest beta and after an image refresh, I can't get any images to show in LaunchBox or BigBox for my Arcade platform. All other platforms seem to be fine, just the Arcade platform refuses to load images. I can still view them by clicking view image however...

EDIT: I stand corrected, this is happening on every platform that I don't have box art for. Instead, I have screenshots set as my image priority.

Edited by Riffman81

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

You may want to Refresh All Images as the cache file names have changed slightly, so you'll get some extraneous files otherwise.

It might be a good idea to have the LB program clear (or refresh if they are different) the image cache automatically on startup if changes are ever made to a new version where this is crucial or beneficial?

I went through all my MAME games as well to clear out duplicates and others that I didn't want. I hope that was not undone like @Charco mentioned  =(.  I'm a bit nervous to check :D

Can't wait to upgrade to the fixed beta tonight! Thanks for fixing the crash so quickly!

Everything seems to be great for me on the latest beta now.

31 minutes ago, ckp said:

Is 'refreshing all images' the same as deleting all the files from the images cache folder? Just curious here.

Yes, but I think Big Box also stores it's Cache here? I could be wrong, but I didn't see another location for it.

1 hour ago, Riffman81 said:

With the latest beta and after an image refresh, I can't get any images to show in LaunchBox or BigBox for my Arcade platform. All other platforms seem to be fine, just the Arcade platform refuses to load images. I can still view them by clicking view image however...

EDIT: I stand corrected, this is happening on every platform that I don't have box art for. Instead, I have screenshots set as my image priority.

Try this if you will: Go to Tools -> Manage Platforms. Open up Arcade and check to see if your image paths are all still correct. If they are still correct, I would clear your cache and delete all your Arcade images and run the Metadata and Images updater.

Close LaunchBox, delete the Arcade Images folder (or copy and paste it to create a backup of it). Open LB, refresh all your images in the options. Click an Arcade game, Ctrl + A to highlight them all, then Tools -> Download Metadata and Images. It might be a PITA, but it will completely clear things out. Let us know if that fixes anything.

ok it sure is hard to get LB to cache ALL images again after refresh all images or after deleting everything in the cache folder.

so i'm in Platform "ALL" showing ALL games. LB will keep stopping on the caching. The only way to make it cache more is to keep scrolling down forever. when i get tired of scrolling it will stop caching in a little bit and i'll have to start scrolling again.

shouldn't 'refresh all images' refresh all images?

5 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Try this if you will: Go to Tools -> Manage Platforms. Open up Arcade and check to see if your image paths are all still correct. If they are still correct, I would clear your cache and delete all your Arcade images and run the Metadata and Images updater.

Close LaunchBox, delete the Arcade Images folder (or copy and paste it to create a backup of it). Open LB, refresh all your images in the options. Click an Arcade game, Ctrl + A to highlight them all, then Tools -> Download Metadata and Images. It might be a PITA, but it will completely clear things out. Let us know if that fixes anything.

Afraid none of these steps seemed to fix the issue @SentaiBrad. Even with downloading new images and metadata it still does the same thing as before with not loading the images. Strange... as the only platforms effected are the ones I don't have boxart for like Arcade platforms, and some misc Japanese platforms like Super Famicom.

EDIT: Got it sorted after clearing the cache folder, shutting down LB and rebooting my PC. Also, did a image refresh upon reboot and starting LB again... so far, everything seems to be showing now.

Edited by Riffman81
  • Like 1

I am not having any LB crashes since updating to Beta 2, but then again, I also cleared my image cache folder, so I guess that could also have something to do with it.

The popping is much better now. And an unexpected improvement is that I "think" I'm seeing game details come up faster when I click on them from one to another. Or maybe I"m just imagining it, haha.

Edited by ckp

Alright guys, new beta is out with the developments from the live stream this morning. We added proper multi-screen support to Big Box, as well as marquee screen support for arcade cabinets. I didn't plan on adding any more new features before 6.12, but this was relatively quick and easy and I needed something entertaining for the live stream. ;)

I'll be back to fixing bugs tomorrow. I need to put in some more work on the LaunchBox website; I'm streamlining the purchasing process a bit so that if somebody doesn't get the license email they can still download the license. We've had some issues lately with emails being blocked due to the XML attachment (or people putting in the wrong email address, etc.), so this should help people not to be pissed off if they purchase after hours and end up having to wait till the morning for support.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright guys, new beta is out with the developments from the live stream this morning. We added proper multi-screen support to Big Box, as well as marquee screen support for arcade cabinets. I didn't plan on adding any more new features before 6.12, but this was relatively quick and easy and I needed something entertaining for the live stream. ;)

I'll be back to fixing bugs tomorrow. I need to put in some more work on the LaunchBox website; I'm streamlining the purchasing process a bit so that if somebody doesn't get the license email they can still download the license. We've had some issues lately with emails being blocked due to the XML attachment (or people putting in the wrong email address, etc.), so this should help people not to be pissed off if they purchase after hours and end up having to wait till the morning for support.

Awesome work as always Jason!  Thank you.

And I think that's a great idea. I'm sure it will cut down a lot on the support emails in the future.

• Like 1

Update is not popping up when I turn launchbox or bigbox on.

Edit: nevermind. had to turn off updates and turn it back on for some reason.

To be honest, I thought the multi monitor support would mean that you also would be able to display bigbox across 2 screen as well instead of just one or the other. Will that be done?

Edited by shinra358

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The marquee screen support is working.  Thanks for adding this, it has got my interest.  First thing I would really like to see is support for this same thing in Launchbox.  I also need to know if there is a way to change the image type that displays as the marquee.  For instance, I have my arcade images set up with Lightspeed, in the marquee screen it is showing my title screens.  I would like to be able to change that to match my marquee image directory.

@Lmagnus87 @Drybonz I've spent way more time working on LaunchBox in the past week than anything with Big Box. It's a double-edged sword because when I work on performance, people complain about no new features for LaunchBox. When I work on new features, people complain about performance. Performance improvements for LaunchBox have been a major focus for the past couple of weeks (and earlier as well). Bear with us; we haven't forgotten about LaunchBox. In fact, I'm working on it constantly.

• Like 3