LaunchBox Community Forums

Archive Cache Manager

@fraganator

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've attached a screenshot of my .log file. I was using LaunchBox 10.1 for a long time, and then the error just occurred from nowhere. I upgraded to 10.10 and still getting the same error.

The error is thrown a few seconds after attempting to start LB or BB and crashes LB and BB almost straight away so I never actually get a chance to start a game. I deleted the Config file like you said, but the same still happens.

screenshot.2020-03-01.jpg

************************EDIT***********************

Well, I think I managed to fix this problem. Or at least one of your builds did.

I tried the v1.6beta version that you posted earlier in this thread (almost 18 months ago wow time flies) and it seems to be working fine, whereas I was using the official v1.5 of your plugin. ArchiveCacheManager v1.6 beta

@fraganator PM me and I'll send you a donation for your time. This plugin has saved me so much time, you don't even know.

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Thanks 1

@JamesBond@ge

Thanks for posting the log file. It looks like there's a stray Vertical Tab character in one of LaunchBox's game/platform database files, rather than the cache manager config file. Version 1.6beta's extra exception must be catching and suppressing the exception.

If you're finding 1.6beta is stable to use, I'll make it the latest stable version.

Thanks for your donation offer, it's much appreciated. Please hold onto it though, I'm happy knowing that the plugin has been so useful :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi !
I don't know what's happening, but it doesn't seem to work anymore on the latest version of Launchbox (10.14) I tried to reinstall it (as it always get disabled everytime I update Launchbox), removing config files... still, it looks like Launchbox takes over and unzip the game by itself... the issue being it doesn't cache anything and it freezes while it unzips it!

Freezing is actually not the most annoying problem, it's just the fact that everytime I want to play, I have to "cache" it again which takes ages

3 minutes ago, Moukrea said:

Hi !
I don't know what's happening, but it doesn't seem to work anymore on the latest version of Launchbox (10.14) I tried to reinstall it (as it always get disabled everytime I update Launchbox), removing config files... still, it looks like Launchbox takes over and unzip the game by itself... the issue being it doesn't cache anything and it freezes while it unzips it!

Freezing is actually not the most annoying problem, it's just the fact that everytime I want to play, I have to "cache" it again which takes ages

If it's using the 7zip included with Launchbox then the plugin will need to be updated as all the third party programs included with Launchbox have bee moved to a "Third Party" folder.

Oh I got it... Unfortunate! I thought I could sneak arround by using mklink /d command line, but LaunchBox crashes on startup with ArchiveCacheManager on the root of LaunchBox, virtually linked to "ThirdParty"... too bad!

Edit: It actually kinda work when doing so, the issue being ArchiveCacheManager looks for 7-Zip on the root of LaunchBox....
So I decided to the the same mklink thing to 7-Zip! But then, upon launch, LaunchBox directly moves it... So I did a two step mklink (the "real" 7-zip totally outside of LaunchBox, linking to a virtual "7-Zip" folder in the root of LaunchBox, linking to a "7-Zip" folder in ThirdParty... which crashed LaunchBox right) away

So yep, this app need an update unfortunately!

Edited by Moukrea

• 3 weeks later...

Damn! This plugin is so great that it needs to be part of LB. It was part of the reason why I moved from Rockerlauncher to LB. Now my favorite games (all on DVD and archived) make me wait 4 to 5 minutes every time I resume my saves.  :( Looking forward to seeing @fraganator back with a fix.

+1 to what is being said above regarding a fix.  I actually left a comment here (https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/234-archive-cache-manager/?tab=comments#comment-6965) not sure where that is in relation to this...
In my opinion, this feature should be heavily considered being baked into Launchbox directly. It provides a huge amount of value for playing modern games. 

Looking forward to a fix, thanks to everyone involved!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello everyone!

First, my apologies for not being active recently with this plugin. I've wanted to return to it at some point, but haven't had the time.

I wanted to let you all know version 2.0 has been under development, and is almost ready for beta release. It's a complete rewrite to utilize LB's plugin framework. I also plan to put the code on github, so the plugin can live on if I can't dedicate time to it.

archive-cache-manager-2.0.thumb.png.928f7b68d618eea3fecf4fa611edf5a0.png

@NahuelDS With this rewrite, the idea of launching a specific file from an archive should be possible. I'm thinking it could be a new right-click menu item (Play File From Archive -> window to select file), or an emulator \ platform setting where if multiple of the same file type are detected in the archive, a window appears allowing you to select which one to play. I'll try get the right-click implementation working as a first step.

• Thanks 2

Hi everyone,

Attached is beta version 2.0.0 of Archive Cache Manager. Extract it to the LaunchBox\Plugins folder, then run LaunchBox / BigBox. Configuration settings are available in the LaunchBox Tools menu under Archive Cache Manager.

By default the cache location is LaunchBox\ArchiveCache, with a cache size of 20GB, and a minimum archive size of 100MB. There's also a default file priority for PCSX2 and bin files (as it won't run cue files). An events log file is saved to LaunchBox\Plugins\ArchiveCacheManager\events.log to help track down issues. The log file is cleared every time LaunchBox / BigBox is started.

If testing doesn't turn up any issues in the next few days, I'll make an official release on the plugin page.

Thanks again for your patience ?

ArchiveCacheManager v2.0.0 beta.zip

Edited by fraganator
Formatting
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see you @fraganator back to the LB forums. Thanks a lot for not only making the add-In back compatible but also upgrading it to better integrate to Launchbox!
I mainly run tests on the PlayStation 2 system as all my games are Win RARed. Archive Cache Manager works great so far. Appreciate the options to chose the destination of the folder cache and also the maximum archive size limit.

As mentioned on the Read.me file the game loading progress bar from LB does not runs accurate to the real time the game takes to un-archiving. Not sure I understood why that 7z switch "-bs|p" cannot be added.  

Thanks again

Edited by bbneo
  • Thanks 1

Version 2.0.2 is out now. New feature: Select and launch individual ROMs / files from a merged archive! Handy for merged archives which include multiple language, region, hack, betas, or multiple disc images in a single archive.

merged-example.thumb.png.7a777cf92c1ef9446674ed2c46727726.png

Right-click on a game and choose Select ROM In Archive... A window will popup with a full listing of the archive contents. Select the desired ROM file, then click Play. That ROM will now launch with the configured emulator.

(Thanks to @NahuelDS for the suggestion)

• Thanks 2