LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox lag

noiseordinance

I can't speak for others but my issue seems to be specifically tied to the controller and how bigbox is dealing with it's input.  It's not a performance issue (even though it acts that way at first glance)...it's simply the input not being recognized from one type of input device (controller in this case).  If I sit at my computer with both the controller and keyboard i see the lag on the controller but not on the keyboard.  If the problem was with cache or cpu performance it would impact both inputs.  

I can confirm that my issue is strictly input related. Like @emudude, @ma22xx and @noiseordinance have previously stated, I can easily browse through BigBox with a keyboard and it performs as smooth as butter, but as soon as I used a wired or wireless x-input controller, the input latency is immediately noticeable. I don't have a direct-input controller to test, but I should have one soon to see if the issue follows. And the input response seems to be much worse after launching a game, closing it and returning to the BigBox menu. 

• Like 1

I have 3 different xinput controllers, a xbox one connected via official dongle, a gamesir g4s connected with its dongle and a 8bitdo sfc30 pro connected via bluetooth dongle, all 3 work just fine for me in Bigbox. I also have a Mayflash F500 wired arcade stick which i use in dinput mode, and that works fine also.

Has anyone tried using different drivers for their XBox controllers if you hit win+x and go to device manager this method works in 8 8.1 and 10 (For 7 just open start and type device manager)

image.thumb.png.72c71c2f18f3dbb559b57b2b727cfcb7.pngWhen the device manager opens navigate to the XBox 360 peripherals and open the menu with the arrow when XBox 360 controller for Windows show right click it and go to update driver

image.thumb.png.5e104235d98c41c793410bb67caeae80.pngA new form will open and on this you will choose browse my computer for driver software then when that opens another form choose Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
image.thumb.png.f08a073f5e198767ac0b310ccf59e870.pngimage.thumb.png.d350ef25bc3e6538cd1b56c62000d75f.png
Then the next form will pop up from there try a few of the other drivers listed and see if maybe it doesn't help you issue out as you can see the drivers have dates and due to the fact I am running on the Windows Insider Preview you may not have the latest drive dated that I have.
image.thumb.png.a74178a94dc96605c9bb8300e709c3e7.pngIn the end I have no clue if any of this will do you any good but if it already isn't working good what can it hurt to try.

I had a simalair issue with my Dual Shock 4, using XInput. As dumb as it sounds, the issue is much better now since I reduced my latency. I was probably jumping up to 10-20ms pretty regularly. I moved my bluetooth adapter so now my latency is always less than 2ms. The skipping, lack of responsiveness, and what appeared to be poor BigBox performace has been reduced significantly. It's still not butter smooth, but it's much better. So, try checking your latency.

Edited by bbweiners

I agree that it seems to be worse after launching and closing a game. I also agree that the program itself doesn't freeze because the videos continue to play, it just simply stops accepting input from the controller for periods.

I'll try the alternative X360 driver when I get home, though from what others are saying, this isn't specific to one particular controller but rather x-input controllers. I hope this gets investigated further.

Edited by noiseordinance
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey all, somehow missed this thread so had created my own last night! similar to users here thought I had a performance issue (weird considering my system specs smash everything else) but then when I plugged in a wireless keyboard and saw that scrolling through games list was fine it was purely my Xbox controllers having the lag yet they seem to work fine in games themselves. Box is a headless lounge media/gaming system and controllers work fine in Kodi as well. Link to thread below;

The issue does have similar symptoms to the general Win10 Xbox controller lag threads all over the googles but its just strange it's only manifesting in BB and in scrolling the games list for me.

To try and narrow it down is any one here with the symptoms running an OS other than Win10? - might indicate it is somehow OS related?

Is anyone still having the symptoms if they are using a genuine Xbox dongle with their controllers? - this is the resolution a lot of the ppl use to solve the Windows 10 Controller lag issue

Unlikely but are we all running the same MB vendor? Asus here, wondering if it could be a particular bluetooth hardware issue

thanks

Windows 10 here on a gigabyte z170 board. I'm using official wireless adapters for both the 360 and xbox one S (the newest ones with bluetooth) controllers I have. The 360 controllers definitely have the menu lag and I'm 90% sure the one S ones do as well (should probably test again).

Bluetooth had horrible lag with the new controllers, which is why I bought the dongle for them. This is not that though. The lag is not present with the dongle in-game. 

I'm using the official Microsoft Dongle for the original Xbox One controller, a wired 360 controller and a bluetooth Dualshock 4 using DS4Windows as an X-input wrapper. I experience lag with either of these controller methods. And for every one of them, the input latency seems to spike much higher at random intervals. There are times when I'm scrolling through a game list, and BB will completely become unresponsive for 2-3 seconds. That's usually the worst case. But many other times control input will drop out for 1-2 seconds, or even a sub second. 

I have not tried bluetooth with the Xbox One S controller because all of my other input methods are using x-input in some fashion, so I don't think it is isolated to the physical input method. Also, I'm running Win10 on an MSI motherboard. 

4 hours ago, OneUpWill said:

I'm using the official Microsoft Dongle for the original Xbox One controller, a wired 360 controller and a bluetooth Dualshock 4 using DS4Windows as an X-input wrapper. I experience lag with either of these controller methods. And for every one of them, the input latency seems to spike much higher at random intervals. There are times when I'm scrolling through a game list, and BB will completely become unresponsive for 2-3 seconds. That's usually the worst case. But many other times control input will drop out for 1-2 seconds, or even a sub second. 

I have not tried bluetooth with the Xbox One S controller because all of my other input methods are using x-input in some fashion, so I don't think it is isolated to the physical input method. Also, I'm running Win10 on an MSI motherboard. 

This is exactly what I've experienced as well. Scrolling works perfectly fine but then has these 2-3 second spikes of lag. I've kept the task manager up and no processes are jumping up during that time. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one experiencing this; I thought I was going crazy.

@Jason Carr - What can we do to help test this problem? It severely tarnishes what would otherwise be a brilliant program.

Hmm, good sleuthing guys; I don't believe I've ever looked into controllers causing performance issues like this in Big Box. Then again, I use controllers on a regular basis myself and I've never seen an issue. I'll take a look. What are you guys' hardware configurations?

I use the Nvidia shield controller, typically wireless via gamestream. I tested it wired though after seeing this thread l verified that I can reproduce the issue when plugged in direct to the pc (windows 10). I have a PS4 and Xbox controller I can test later today to see if the issue is controller dependant. Although it seems a lot of the posts so far have been Xbox controllers. 

• Like 1

I have been having a similar issue as well with my arcade cabinet when I have "Use all controllers checked"as far as lag. I have two Ultrastik 360 joysticks on my cabinet and an Ultimarc IPAC Ultimate keyboard encoder. My joysticks are connected to USB though and not the encoder as I just use the ipac for the buttons and not the joysticks. Sometimes when I am scrolling through the wheel game list it seems like it is frozen or crawling and other times it doesnt. I do not think it happens when I do not have "use all controllers checked" but I like having it checked because player 1 and/or player 2 can both control BigBox and scroll through the wheel. When I pull out my Logitech wireless keyboard I never experience this issue,only with the joysticks.

One thing I tried just to test, is I hooked up my joysticks to the ipac keyboard encoder to see if the issue went away and it did as it was now simulating keyboard inputs and not joystick inputs.

I will give unchecking that box a spin this arvo, obviously preferable to have it on as have multiple controllers but will see if it helps to diagnose problems. i5, 16gb DDR4, 960 NVME Pro, sitting on ASUS ROG Mainboard