LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Performance and How to Make it Better

Lordmonkus

I've noticed a bit of lag creeping into LB when scrolling through the games list on any given platform, I've run through all the suggested things in the first post and it's still there. It seems as though it's struggling to load the images as I scroll.

My specs are

i7 2700k

12Gig ram

Geforce GTX 960

Windows 10

For me everything got worse and slowed with the recent versions, because before it worked very well.
My PC settings are very good and would handle the message quietly.

CPU AMD FX 8350
16GB Ram DDR 3 1886 mhz
2x AMD R9 290 (connected in SLI)

Before in coverflow view it worked fine, but currently it is impossible.
I already configured the launchbox from scratch and it still did not work.
I believe the program needs performance tuning in future releases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sluggish BB performance.  Using default theme, made other tweaks such as disabled game background images(which didnt work, unless I did it wrong somehow), changed minimum speed from 400ms to 200ms to make it snappier.  A lot of times, there is an initial delay going to the next coverflow, or is begins, but then hitches for a second or two 75% of the way through the flip animation.

My system specs are:

CPU:  Intel i5 6600K @ 4.6Ghz
GPU:  R9 Fury X
Hard Drives:  2 Samsung Evo 850 SSDs, and a WD plain drive.  Tried BB on all hard drives, same result.

Thanks for any help.

Is BigBox more ram intense or is the clock speed also critical?  I can ado plenty of ram, but I don't think I can upgrade the processor unless I want to build a new pc.

I'm running a 2.6ghz processor, but I only have 6gb ram.  I have 3 open slots and could easily add another 48 gb of ram if it would help?

CPU clock speed is never the only factor. It's the main factor for LaunchBox, everything is processed through the CPU, and then everything else trickles down, but it can come down to your OS has been installed for a while and not properly maintained so everything is suffering a performance loss, and LB/BB is at the core of that if it's something you use daily and you see videos we post where it works well.

Edit: Also, for the record, they both should take advantage of multi-threading. Scrolling through LB just now, my performance monitor spiked in cpu across all cores.

hey all wasn't there a point a post about settings that could help with VLC performance. lately i am getting stuttering and that green pixels for a few seconds in Criticalzone and such themes. my old pc is acting up maybe its just my pc. but wondering if anything can be done. drivers and codex are up to date.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Posting to gain some insight on a few performance issues I'm having with BB but mostly OS related (I'm assuming)

Windows 10

i5-4590 @ 3.3Ghz

8GB Ram

GTX 760

2 x 1TB HDD (Western Digital)

Total imported games roughly 10K.

Quick backstory to why I'm posting this is because, I originally started this Emulation build on one of my other systems (i5-2500K OC 4.3Ghz, 16gb Ram & GTX 560Ti, also Windows 10) 

The plan was to build the majority of the setup on this system since my new PSU was suspected "lost" in transit and then pull both HDDs over when it arrived or I was happy with the bulk of the work I had done. No issues at all and BB/LB seemed to go off without a hitch.

One of those HDDs contains OS and LB install with a load of games, around 200GB free. The second HDD also has around 250GB free but contains purely games.

Everything on the secondary HDD works in tandem with the first (thinking it's also C: with symbolic links)

Since using them on the new build I've noticed a dramatic shift in startup time, the general snappiness in Windows isn't present anymore. I wouldn't say it's slow but it's sure not as quick as I readily expected before.

At first I noticed one of the main problems was the 100% Disk usage I've noticed with many W10 machines. Fixed it, still no real performance improvement. All drivers up to date and checked, since it's an emulation machine all of the useless/non-used services have been disabled or set manual where necessary.

I'm not entirely sure what's happened/why since I swapped them over my only conclusion is maybe amount of files/games I have stored but it's effecting BB quite a lot regardless.

Any more info/tips to try let me know, thanks!

You can try to reduce the image quality and remove or choose less demanding transitions. Did you follow the other options to make LB/BB lean and mean? A performance monitor could help you figure out if your system is pinging anywhere. Make sure your install is still not caching images as well, that will make things slow down until it's done.

Is resource monitor a good option to track performance? Or any better programs?

I've done most of the tweaks and tips in this thread, but I've now noticed that even though BB performance has improved, general OS not so much in comparison. 

8 hours ago, Reece said:

Is resource monitor a good option to track performance? Or any better programs?

I've done most of the tweaks and tips in this thread, but I've now noticed that even though BB performance has improved, general OS not so much in comparison. 

OS slowness over time (when it used to be faster), in my experience (and I have a ton of experience in this area) is 99% of the time either too much stuff running on startup and login, and/or some running process may be using up your cpu often or nearly all the time.

The cpu issue is pretty easy. Just look at task manager every now and then sorted by CPU column and see if anything is constantly using like 50%+ cpu. If there is one, then your system will surely seem slow doing anything. That wouldn't usually be normal and would indicate a problem with that process.

The other one is pretty simple too and is usually the cause. Try starting Windows in safe mode (or use Autoruns to disable all non Microsoft startup/login items). This excludes almost everything extra from starting up with windows.

If things are much snappier then, and they almost always are, you have to go through the somewhat laborious process of elimination to try to only include the boot up and login processes that you really need and want. Microsoft Autoruns free tool is great for seeing everything that runs on start and login and lets you easily exclude any of these that you want to help you in this process. In doing this, you may also find you have at least one virus type of process running and causing troubles.

Yes, there are other things like driver updates, OS updates, and other things, but those don't "usually" cause big all-around slowness problems. The main one is eliminating all those unnecessary processes from running at startup and login.

Also, check browser plugins and extensions because those are notorious for making browsing (not the system in general) a real bitch. Easy to tell if your browser is too slow by plugins or extensions. Just run your browser in browser safe mode. Yes, browsers have a "safe" mode too. That will start it up without any plugins. If browsing is great in safe mode, you know that your plugins or extensions are at fault. Another process of elimination. Browsing may also seem to crawl or plagued with bad stuff (popups) if some bad program set your DNS to a bad guy's IP address. So check your DNS also to be sure it's set the way you expect.

Lastly, anti virus and security software is also a big pain in the performance ass, but it "shouldn't" (i say "shouldn't") cause major issues. Although I've seen it cause minor to major performance issues often, and I hate even minor disruption. Therefore, I choose not to run ANY anti virus or other security protection software so my systems stay perform tip top and snappy. I don't recommend that for anyone unless you are quite good about how your OS works intimately. I haven't run security software for like the last 15 years and have never had a real problem. But it's because I'm super aware of what I run and what I do on my system, and what is running at startup and login time, and at other times.

If you don't want to go through all the work of fine tuning your system, a clean OS install will always put it back in the fast lane (until you load it up with junk again). But that's a pretty drastic step to take if you have a lot of customizations in your system and applications.

Happy tuning.

Edited by ckp
  • Like 1

OS Clutter is why I suggest Advanced System Care. I keep saying it, because it's true, that software will help clean and keep your PC clean with it's many many many tools. The IOBit Uninstaller (in the Toolbox) is the best way to remove programs, there is an advanced start up manager, and various other tools. The main scans are the daily things I run, and it works really well. I run Junk Files Cleaner, Shortcuts Fix and Registry Clean daily or every other day. There are other scans I run every once in a while, or just once on a new PC as they don't need to be run often or ever again. Like Internet Boost, System Optimization, and Vulnerability Fix.