LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Performance and How to Make it Better

Lordmonkus

I'm a 4 year Hyperspin verteran with multiple pedestal and bartop builds under my belt. I decided to move to Launchbox because of the mass user support and frequent updates. Launchbox has grown fast. Hyperspin seems to have stopped growing and the user base has gotten a lot smaller. Launchbox has one BIG problem.....performance. I'm running an i5 w/ 16gigs memory and a 660ti on my first Launchbox bartop build with 7k plus games. All my wheels whether in the platform selection screen or the game selection screen run very slow with clear logos having a hard time catching up which in turn makes the videos start late. I have a pedestal build with a Core 2 Duo and 4gigs DDR2 and 12K plus games running much smother. Is launchbox catered for smaller builds? Will I achieve better performance if I tether Rocketlauncher?

• Like 1

What version of Launchbox and Windows are you using ?

Launchbox does run into performance problems with larger libraries and it used to be that it was around 11,000 games it started to encounter problems. However that number has gone up significantly in recent versions because of optimizations.

RocketLauncher should have zero impact on performance but I also don't use it at all so I cannot say that for certain.

40 minutes ago, Boomerps2 said:

i5 w/ 16gigs memory and a 660ti on my first Launchbox bartop build with 7k plus games

You should not be having any performance problems with this setup but what generation i5 CPU are you using ?

Have you looked into any of the performance tips on the first page of this thread ?

Doesn't matter what you do Launchbox will always fail to perform correctly.

I haven't touched it in months, just had a play with the most recent build and no problems have been fixed.

Using the alphabet wheel in bigbox still has delayed input and goes past selection.

If collection size is an issue like the mods are always saying/blaming then there should be a method in place to reduce the number of files per folder by making multiple rom/picture/video folders that all link to the same console.

Seriously tho finger pointing at people's collection size is an utter joke.

If you've come from hyperspin to here expect disappointment.

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

What version of Launchbox and Windows are you using ?

Launchbox does run into performance problems with larger libraries and it used to be that it was around 11,000 games it started to encounter problems. However that number has gone up significantly in recent versions because of optimizations.

RocketLauncher should have zero impact on performance but I also don't use it at all so I cannot say that for certain.

You should not be having any performance problems with this setup but what generation i5 CPU are you using ?

Have you looked into any of the performance tips on the first page of this thread ?

i5 3750K. Running the latest 7.11 I do believe. I'm going to honest to say I am going to wait it out and continue to use Hyperspin till this is fixed. I have no time in my life with work, kids and sports to figure this out. I literally have Hyperspin down to a drag and drop on new system builds with very little adjustments and fine tuning. The way launchbox is moving, it should take no time at all to figure this out.

@syntax_X

If you are only going to shitpost like this I will ban you. You have been handed 2 warnings before for abusive behaviour and this latest post from you is just more of the same old from you.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said that library size is no longer a factor, we have users now with in excess of 50,000 games in their library and no issues.

@Boomerps2

If you don't think that Launchbox is for you then feel free to email and ask for a refund.

Many of us around here use Launchbox daily on more than 1 computer with no performance issues on relatively modern systems. I personally have it installed on 2 systems with the specs listed in the very first post of this thread and it works great. Admittedly my 2nd HTPC system is quite old and I do have to make tweaks as well as keep my library streamlined to get LB running well on it. But on my main gaming PC which is not high end at all by todays standards it runs flawlessly with over 11,000 games.

Your issues may just be an image caching issue which can take a little bit of time or you can force it in the Options of BigBox.

3 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

I haven't touched it in months, just had a play with the most recent build and no problems have been fixed.

Using the alphabet wheel in bigbox still has delayed input and goes past selection.

If collection size is an issue like the mods are always saying/blaming then there should be a method in place to reduce the number of files per folder by making multiple rom/picture/video folders that all link to the same console.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Launchbox is doing here. Aswome Big Box themes and the ability to adjust view settings from within Big Box is brilliant. The performance issue Launchbox has is HUGE. Scrolling through the alphabet wheel and waiting an upwards of 10 seconds for the logo and video to appear just can't happen. The creator of Lauchbox needs to get with Bad Boy Bill over at Hyperspin and figure out what they are doing.

9 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

So let me get this straight, you have not touched LaunchBox in months but you still come to the forums just to criticize it? I have seen negative post from you in the past and that will not be tolerated. While we accept and welcome objective crticism bashing the mods or the app is not acceptable.

Yeah I have a I5 3330 with 8GB and a GTX 950 and 19K games LB and BB perform very well on it but there have been users in the past that struggle even when their specs shouldn't and its always a pain in the ass mystery why they have the performance issues.

27 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

Doesn't matter what you do Launchbox will always fail to perform correctly

27 minutes ago, syntax_X said:

Here is my issue with your post . you are speaking as if you were speaking for all and your personal experience must be that of everyone else . which you would know just isnt true if you stuck your head out your behind for a second . if you have problems that sucks,  but don't paint your issues as my issues. 

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 2

@lordmonkus I remember not too long ago you would blame performance issues on peoples collection sizes, not LB itself. But its fixed now right? So it was a LB programming issue the whole time not our collection sizes? 

Who would of thought... :P

@ALIE I have no idea what your issues are beside thinking i was talking to/about you. I was letting a newcomer from Hyperspin know what he was in for.

@Kmoney I have not touched LB in months because i got sick of waiting for fixes. Figured id give it a break and see what it was like after a heap of updates.

Alphabet wheel still scrolls past selection, movies continue to run after game selection and games can be selected multiple times before they start crashing emulators and such.  

This stops Launchbox being able to be setup as a bartop arcade because people/friends will crash the system pressing the start button multiple times when the game doesn't load instantly. Its a natural human reaction. Didn't work press it again.

Lordmonkus original answer/solution to this problem was that LB couldn't possibly be programmed to know when an emulator starts so it can lock out BB controls (but i can do it with a batch file lol) and for me to find smarter friends that didn't push the button multiple times.

Pointing out a major flaw in LB and getting treated like that made me a little salty as you can imagine.   

Honestly all in all LB did seem more stable today.

Ill openly admit I stir the pot a little hard which seems to upset a few of you, but someone has to do it. Apologies to the sensitive ones.

I look forward to future fixes and promised additions like ExoDos integration, and pre/post .exe execution. 

@syntax_X

Performance was a problem with extremely large libraries and since then @Jason Carr has worked on and improved the performance by quite a large amount.

I have taken some time to look over your post history and listened to complaints from other users and decided that you are no longer welcomed here. You can take your smug arrogance elsewhere and perhaps you can program a front end that does everything that Launchbox does and runs on a toaster as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dnbreloaded said:

Yeah, I've got it set to 4gb right now, thanks though, sensible suggestion.

Hmm, i have 9500 games in my collection with ram set to 4gb also with no issues (i5 3570k, 16gb ram, gtx 1060, win 10 64bit). Are you sorting your games any other way than by title?