LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Performance and How to Make it Better

Lordmonkus

7 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

So,  your suggestion to install Launchbox in it's own folder [LB TEST] leaving the original untouched?   How would the License be handled?

No idea, but I'm almost positive I did the same thing while testing... Had it on three drives. 

28 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

You can use the license on any computer you own even a second time on the same computer you just copy it to your new install and it will be licensed

Thanks I will copy this to the new folder with a clean install and see if i notice anything over the weekend.

Your library size is unique, and Is probably the reason why it's performing this bad. You're probably of literally a few people with over 50k game entries. By chance, did you allow LaunchBox to merge all the games possible that it would merge? Like multi-disc or disk games? Curiosity, because that reduced my library by a significant amount and did help in point to point performance. Overall though, at a certain point, performance depredation is to be expected.

Having 20 versions of Donkey Kong is what is contributing to that (well, not just 20 instances of Donkey Kong, but many instances of a lot of games). Remember, every time an image or video needs to be displayed, it's slowing things down incrementally. I wont comment on not needing that many, but I can almost promise you that reducing your library will make things much much better. You can Ctrl Click on several games and manually combine them if you want, but LaunchBox does this automatically now during import. If games have the same exact name during import, they'll be combined and the alternate versions (or multiple discs) will be put under the right click menu for that game. I have just as many systems (if not more actually), and 32k games. I also removed Genre's I didn't care about, like sports. My performance is "worse" technically speaking, than a fresh install or an install with a few k games, but after you hit 10k there is a drop down in performance. We're talking about a massive amount of data that is being loaded here.

• Like 1

Performance is and always will be looked at and prioritized as needed. Constant badgering about it is not going to make it any better, people can read the first post in this thread for tips on improving performance of their PCs to in turn improve BigBox performance.

• Lordmonkus locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

I have cleaned up this thread and deleted a bunch of unnecessary posts from both users and moderators.

I have now unlocked this thread for people who are having performance issues to post their system specs along with a couple of notes in the spec post if they wish.

When posting your system specs, please post your CPU type and speed, how much system ram you have, graphics card type and vram, and operating system.

Example:
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD 8350 @ 4.0 GHz
16 Gigs ram
Nvidia GTX970 4 gigs vram

If you feel like you want to post your system specs and you have good performance please do so but only post your specs and any settings or tweaks you made to get better performance.

Any other posts will be removed.

• Like 2

... Most of the animations are pretty laggy on my i5 with Intel graphics (i think Intel 4k, not 100% sure, i'll have to go check the specs on it sometime) .. seems that many of them may be more advanced than they probably need to be to achieve the desired effect.  The launcher itself actually runs pretty nicely, though. i5, intel 4k?, 8gig ram, 250gb ssd, win 10 cu

Edited by ekdikeo

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that platforms with large collections make BB lag.
My N64 collection with under 1000 roms runs super smooth but MS-DOS with over 5200 stutters when scrolling even with a forced cache.

Windows 10 64-bit
i5 3570 3.4/3.8 Ghz
8 Gigs ram
Nvidia GTX750ti 

Edited by syntax_X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all i just got a new pc a few week's ago and it's performing amazingly like expected. 

Specs.  (Sorry copy paste probably some  unuseful information in between) . 

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE - 11 GB RAM

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 16 GB. 

Intel Core i7-7700K

Corsair RM850X. 

Asus ROG Maximus IX Code motherboard. 

Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD (500 GB)

WD Desktop Blue 3,5" - 1 TB

Corsair Hydro H100i v2 watercolor  - 240 mm....

But in Big Box scrolling in cover flow with everything cached still has some Jerks and stuttering. Im thinking my hard drive may be to blame?. 

Auslogics told me Defraging wouldn't do much because i have used almost all the drive space so maybe being so cramped is effecting performance?. Or maybe the drive isn't that fast don't remember the speed. 

Anyway im really pondering on if moving everything to a ssd except games would help. 

Edited by ALIE

I did have launchbox and all the images and platform videos on my ssd, with all the videos and roms on a external. I just moved everything to the external a couple of days ago, with no change to performance, unless the drive is actually asleep, (mines a usb drive) so may take a few seconds to wake up if it's asleep. Apart from that no different to having it on the ssd.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm running LaunchBox 7.11, and I'm having performance issues with Big Box.

When I scroll through my library, or even just try to select a platform, Big Box will frequently freeze for about 2-4 seconds. During that time I can't select another item in the menu -- the UI is just frozen. It's quite annoying. I've tried caching images but it made no difference. Some of my libraries have hundreds of games in them but it happens even in libraries with just a few dozen games.

I haven't tried disabling background images because I can't figure out how to do it! I've tried disabling the background related options in the Options / Images menu, but there's still background images.

My specs:

Intel Core i5-4690 3.5 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770 with 2GB of VRAM
8 GB of RAM
2 TB Hard Drive

• Like 1