LaunchBox Community Forums

7.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 6/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, y2j420 said:

I posted this via the Report a Bug feature...

Prior to this latest update (7.11 Beta 5) whenever my machine would boot and auto launch BigBox Mode, my Arcade Favorites platform would be my default view and its video would display. However, since the upgrade to the latest beta, when my machine auto launches Big Box Mode, it no longer displays anything on the screen (other than a black screen) for my Arcade Favorite default view. If I move my joystick around I can hear BigBox Mode functioning, but nothing is displayed. After about 20 secs., BigBox Mode will go to my games and display everything properly. Now, if I go back to the BigBox Mode menus and then re-launch my Arcade Favorites platform view, it loads everything fine. If I completely exit out of BigBox Mode and re-launch it, it works fine. This only seems to happen when the app launches for its initial time on a restarted machine.

Latest beta (7.11 beta 5),

Windows 10

Everytime since the upgrade (only when booting up the machine)

Please advise. Thank you.

That's odd, though unfortunately it sounds like some kind of odd incompatibility with video drivers and the latest version of .NET, or something along those lines. Anyone else seeing anything similar to this? I would try grabbing all Windows updates and video driver updates, etc.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:18 AM, SNAK3ATER said:

@Jason Carr I have an important request for the next LB release as my new theme is dependable on it for some of its views:

Add the ability to set the ImageType for the Flowcontrol to Steam Banner for both platform and game views:

Currently i'm using "Screenshots" ImageType for some of my game views and while they look acceptable there is a room for better potential here:

Game view with ImageType set to Screenshots

5943f4f43133f_Desktop06_14.2017-02_52_08_24.thumb.png.33c16e9eea95d5a9d3bc42effbcdbbec.png

Game view with some screenshots manually replaced by banners (very tedious process)

Desktop_06_14.2017_-_02_48_34_23.thumb.png.647a59a4d4ebeab517c40e093c9288a3.png
The banners really enhances the looks of the theme significantly and I do have more than 1 GB of artwork compiled over the years that i'm planning to upload here once the feature has been added

5943f6633b290_preview3.thumb.jpg.517bce3c1abf7ab3b784daa03c3a36db.jpg

Just put out beta 6 with steam banner support and the Star Wars-style Big Box Wall View (though it probably still won't be the final version). :)

• Like 2

On 6/16/2017 at 11:02 AM, lordmonkus said:

BigBox mode.

Edit:
Updated and much better now but still the problem of when coming back to the platforms from the options BigBox has a problem. It doesn't freeze in the sense that it crashes or hangs but it just sits there with the platform name and no games showing and I cannot go forward or backwards in the menus.

Also wall view seems to work now at least.

2017-06-16 14_20_30-LaunchBox Big Box.png

I have seen that before. I'll check that out Monkus. :)

Just tested as well and the wall view is coming along nice, scrolling up and down works well and I like the more flattened look though I would prefer to not have that "vertical tilt" but that's personal preference.

The problem of coming back to the platforms from the options and the "freezing" is still there though but I assume that is something you are still looking into.

I also noticed the problem of missing art in wall view is back though when you cycle through the views. Restarting BigBox with it already set to wall view seems to fix it but a restart is required.

2017-06-22 16_16_42-LaunchBox Big Box.png

• Like 1

I find if i disable Coverflow in the Theme Settings xml  that i dont have the problem anymore in any other coverflow  wheels etc of the missing boxart.  <DisableCoverFlowGamesView>true</DisableCoverFlowGamesView>

@Jason Carr this is what i was on about yesterday in the live stream if i copy this 
<DockPanel Name="DetailsPanel"  Grid.Row="1">
            <TextBlock Name="Title" Text="{Binding Path=Title}" Visibility="{Binding TitleVisibility}" FontFamily="Calibri" FontWeight="Bold" Foreground="White" TextWrapping="Wrap" DockPanel.Dock="Top" />
            <Canvas x:Name="DetailsCanvas" Width="{Binding ElementName=DetailsPanel, Path=ActualWidth}" ClipToBounds="True" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Visibility="{Binding ScrollingDetailsVisibility}">
                <controls:ScrollableTextBlock Name="ScrollingDetails" Text="{Binding Path=Details}" FontFamily="Calibri" Foreground="White" TextWrapping="Wrap"
                Width="{Binding ElementName=DetailsCanvas, Path=ActualWidth}" ScrollBeginDelay="10" ScrollSpeed="3" ScrollAutoReverse="True"
                ScrollEndDelay="10" ReverseScrollSpeed="0.5" />
            </Canvas>
            <TextBlock Name="Details" Text="{Binding Path=Details}" FontFamily="Calibri" Foreground="White" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextTrimming="CharacterEllipsis" Visibility="{Binding DetailsVisibility}" />
        </DockPanel>

and place it in any gameview nothing will show up, no scrolling details in fact no details at all which is what i was looking for seperate scrolling details without the notes in gamesviews not stationary adding each as a seperate entry ie Developer, Release Date, No of Players etc which is the only way to be able to do it at the moment.

Edited by Maddoc1007
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

That's odd, though unfortunately it sounds like some kind of odd incompatibility with video drivers and the latest version of .NET, or something along those lines. Anyone else seeing anything similar to this? I would try grabbing all Windows updates and video driver updates, etc.

I guess, but this only happens when using a theme (Default works perfectly fine with the video), and the game specific videos work fine as well.  Once I close out of Big Box Mode and go back in, all videos work perfectly fine.  If I Restart the system (not do a Shutdown), and Big Box Mode launches, it works perfectly fine as well.  Doesn't matter if I use VLC or WMP for video rendering.

In summary, this only happens when launching Big Box Mode for the first time from a cold boot.  Beta 5, Beta 6 both do it.  And, again, this only happens when a theme is applied (CityHunter, CriticalZone, and Metallic all exhibit this problem).

@Jason Carr Hi Jason i keep getting this error when i click on any game in arcade platform Taito Type X this error report pops up, after i click on ok on the error popup i get the popup that LaunchBox needs to close.  it is the only arcade platform that this happens with and was working fine (see ps at bottom).   I am on the latest beta, here is the error

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 7.11-beta-6
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    System.Object MarshaledInvoke(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Delegate, System.Object[], Boolean)
Source:  System.Windows.Forms

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at (MainForm , Game )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.SetOneSelectedGameState(Game game)
   at (MainForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.gamesControl_SelectedGameChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Controls.GamesControlBase.OnSelectedGameChanged()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Controls.ImageGamesControl.<selectionTimer_Tick>b__63_0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Recent Log:

6:27:18 PM Music.Pause Start
   6:27:18 PM Music.Prepare Start
   18:27:18 Music.Kill Start
   18:27:18 Music.Kill Finished
   18:27:18 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   6:27:18 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   6:27:28 PM Music.Pause Start
   6:27:28 PM Music.Prepare Start
   18:27:28 Music.Kill Start
   18:27:28 Music.Kill Finished
   18:27:28 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   6:27:28 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   6:27:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   6:27:35 PM Exception

Ps:it started happening when i clicked on an entry, then did ctrl A and hit F5 for a refresh as i had changed some images.

Edited by Maddoc1007

@Jason Carr Figured out what the problem was by looking at the LaunchBox must close error details

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    LaunchBox.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    7.11.0.6
  Problem Signature 03:    594bf3e4
  Problem Signature 04:    PCSX2 Configurator
  Problem Signature 05:    1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:    592b3a5f
  Problem Signature 07:    6
  Problem Signature 08:    11
  Problem Signature 09:    System.NullReferenceException
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    6153
  Additional Information 1:    6669
  Additional Information 2:    66695417878ba4200b9da6f3c5464cba
  Additional Information 3:    c266
  Additional Information 4:    c26696436097baaae5130c82cd5fe451

As you can see from it it is the PCSX2 Configurator.dll that was causing the problem with this platform as soon as i deleted that plugin dll it is working properly again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shinra358 said:

@Jason Carr Just got around to trying out the steam banners inclusion. When there are no steam banners available for the game, there's a huge launchbox placeholder. And you fix it so the place holders become text of the name of the game please?

Actually I wanted to request something similar to your idea but instead of inserting the text in place of the launchbox placeholder how about we have an ability to set a fallback property for the imagetype?

Here is an example of how this would work:

1- Let's say that I decided to set the ImageType of the flowcontrol for my view to Steam Banners

2- The theme would look cool with the games that have steam banners downloaded. However, any game that does not have steam banner will have launchbox placeholder instead..totally disrupting the flow of the theme

3- Here the user can set a fallback property instructing bigbox to retrieve pictures from a second ImageType specified by the user (i.e. In my case I will instruct BigBox to retrieve pictures from Steam Banners first and second retrieve from Screenshots/Boxart if the game is missing steam banners media)

4- Having text alongside Boxart/Steam banners would not look aesthetically pleasing imo 

What do you think about this idea @Jason Carr is it possible to implement it? :)

• Like 1

"4- Having text alongside Boxart/Steam banners would not look aesthetically pleasing imo "

On the wheel, originally if a pic isn't loaded, it just shows the name in normal text. Here, when changed to steam banners, it show a huge launchbox block. That's what I meant. Just wanted to have it work as it defaultly has. But your additiion is welcomed as well. ;)

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 3:51 AM, Jason Carr said:

Finally, I added a very early wall view to the Big Box games lists. Please note that it's still in development and I expect quite a few things to change before the official release (such as adding proper up/down navigation). We'll probably get back to the wall view in the live stream on Monday.

:)

Amazing!!! I love it!! Great Work Jason!!!

Its excelent when a new kind of view is implemented

GridView.png

IC795667.png

A wall as W8/10 also could be a great implementation :). We are using .NET 4.7 so it could be possible

https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=Windows+gridview

Edited by Lmagnus87
you to view
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, jchasa said:

Is it any specific themes are all of them?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

So far, any of the 3 themes I'd like to use experience the same problem from a cold machine boot...themes: CityHunter, CriticalZone, and Metallic

Edited by y2j420

So far, any of the 3 themes I'd like to use experience the same problem from a cold machine boot...themes: CityHunter, CriticalZone, and Metallic

I was having some issues but some prior to and after Beta 5, but with other themes so unrelated I guess.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Well at least we know the problem is related to the latest releases of LaunchBox and should be addressed.  The fact that pretty much all themes I try (and apparently other themes) are having issues point to LaunchBox being the culprit...

Now if it is because LaunchBox requires a newer .NET, then whatever the Default theme does differently than custom themes needs to be found.

Edited by y2j420
Specifying other themes