LaunchBox Community Forums

7.11-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Alright guys! The first 7.11 beta is here. New stuff so far is focused on custom themes and is fairly minor:

- Improvement: Custom themes in Big Box now support custom images and videos for platform categories

- Improvement: A new MaxVerticalImageResolutionOverride property has been added to the Big Box CoverFlow control to allow for larger image sizes

- Improvement: Added a new TotalGameCount property on platforms for binding in Big Box custom themes

- Improvement: Added a new BannerImagePath property on games for binding in Big Box custom themes

We focused primarily on adding stuff for @nosh's amazing new theme in the live stream this morning. :)

• Like 16

Almost forgot to update you guys! I put beta 2 out earlier with proper searching for alternate titles from the LaunchBox Games Database. Just had a thought though that I didn't update the required Metadata version, so let me know if anyone is running into any errors lol. ;)

• Like 5

I imported my SNES PAL games and the one game I knew for sure that had artwork in the DB and an Alt Name Super Probotector wasn't found to match an db item on import and then again when trying to edit the game individually no game was found is returned leaving me to believe the alt names still needs a little more work.

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah scanning the db for an individual game in the edit menu was much slower than before today and that is the local metadata.

Yeah im just manually importing PC games at the moment, and it is taking much longer. It took over a minute to find Starcraft 2, which is a very popular game and has a lot of images (it downloaded 29 of them) so i am not sure why that takes so long to find.

2 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

could it be, that searching in the Metadata to look if a game is in the Games Database tooks now nearly forever? on Beta 1 and before It was way faster. or does it depend now, because I work myself through the PlayStation 2 Games I have?

Seems to be taking longer for me as well - edit, I did watch the stream so I realize this is a new feature and may need tweaking or change.

Edited by jchasa

Yeah to be fair though it is obviously doing a bigger search now also as it's looking for different names as well, it may just be something that comes with the territory now, or maybe it's something @Jason Carr can improve on. Bear in mind this has just been implemented, and is only in the beta releases also. So maybe it will be improved upon in future, only Jason will no the answer to this, and he will be live streaming in 90 minutes so maybe someone can bring it up there.

@Jason Carr Since the main focus of this beta is around custom themes I have two requests that will help me and I believe others as well with theme development:

1- Add support for custom playlists to the custom themes in BigBox (add playlist folder that includes banner, clear logo, fanart and devices folders similar to how custom platform folder is implemented currently)

2- Add playback delay property for BackgroundView and ImageVideo objects. Currently the background videos play instantly and ignores any attempts to delay their startup in a view (The two themes I'm developing relies heavily on this missing feature and it would be ideal if I can set the background videos to start playing after an X amount of time)

3- This might be difficult to implement but is really needed in theme development: Fixing the dpi scaling issues (I know it might be hard to implement custom dpi scaling for BigBox but what if we can enforce a specific scaling for a theme? i.e. Force the theme to always display the text at 100% scale regardless of what the user has set in Windows display option)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I have the performance issues fixed I think (since the live stream on Wednesday), but I'm still working to improve the search.

@SNAK3ATER I actually did add #1 already so that will be available in the next beta. #2 we can hopefully look into soon. #3 is very much a priority right now, so though it is difficult, I do plan to tackle it before the 7.11 release. :)

• Like 4

Alright guys, beta 3 is out which should solve the performance issues with the search. I spent a lot of time yesterday working on the Big Box DPI issues and I figured a bunch of stuff out, but it's a royal pain. The best solution I've found so far is that if you go into compatibility settings on BigBox.exe and disable DPI scaling (or "override high DPI scaling behavior" with scaling performed by "application") it works perfectly. But the problem is I can't figure out how to make it behave properly like that without manually making the user do that. So sigh, I'm stilling working on it.

• Like 3

@Jason Carr  I noticed that you fixed the playlist banners in a custom theme overiding what is in the main playlist folder which is great! One more thing I noticed today is when I put fanart in a custom theme fanart folder to overide what is in the main platform fanart folder is that it overides a platform view that has fanart in it but it does not overide a game view that has fanart in it (if you do not have fanart for a paticular game of course). In the game view it just shows the default fanart that is in the main platform fanart folder rather than show the fanart that you put in the custom theme. So I do not know if this is a new problem that just crept up or something that has been going on for a while as I just tried it out today.

• Like 1

could it be, that searching in the Metadata to look if a game is in the Games Database tooks now nearly forever? on Beta 1 and before It was way faster. or does it depend now, because I work myself through the PlayStation 2 Games I have?

Hughe speed improvement now, awesome
  • Like 1

Hey all, had some dev time so I got a new beta for y'all. First and foremost, I finally updated LaunchBox and Big Box to the .NET Framework 4.7. The setup should prompt you to install it if needed. However, it's possible for the installer to fail if you're way behind on Windows updates. So if it fails, just update Windows and try again. There have been quite a few performance improvements to WPF in .NET 4.7, so hopefully those performance improvements will be reflected in Big Box as well.

I also updated SharpDX, which is just the libraries that we use to interface with DirectX. I don't expect that to make a major difference anywhere, but it's worth noting.

Finally, I added a very early wall view to the Big Box games lists. Please note that it's still in development and I expect quite a few things to change before the official release (such as adding proper up/down navigation). We'll probably get back to the wall view in the live stream on Monday.

Take it easy guys and have a great weekend. :)

• Like 8