LaunchBox Community Forums

M.U.G.E.N What is it and how do I play it.

natemac00

(I don't believe this counts as talking about where to obtain illegal content since this is an open-source game, if I'm wrong please delete my post)

So I don't know if I've been living under a rock but I just came across this open-source pc game called M.U.G.E.N. and know nothing about it.

Does anyone have any guides or links about where I should start, this looks insane.

• 1 month later...

MUGEN is essentially an engine that people can use to build games; most commonly has been fighting games. What most people have done was rip the sprites and other assets from popular fighting games and essentially remade them for MUGEN, or used thsoe characters as the basis for some custom original characters or fan-art versions, like Dark Chun-Li or Super Saiyan 5 Goku. Best places to start are Youtube or the MUGEN wiki.

http://mugen.wikia.com/wiki/The_MUGEN_Database

I used to be suuuuuuuuper into Mugen, scouring innumerable obscure all-Japanese websites (before automatic page translation was a thing in browsers), various pages that looked like they were from Geocities, and a bunch of message boards for that one obscure character you saw on someone's video but couldn't find anywhere. The hunt for characters/stages and adding/arranging them was as much fun as playing for me. Unfortunately, the Mugen community is one of the most caustic, petulant, and insane groups I've run into on the internet - people that get extremely pissy about anyone hosting "their" character anywhere other than on their personal, highly unorganized site that looks like ass. Sorry guy, but ripping some sprites and adding some basic AI doesn't suddenly make you the creator and owner of Wolverine or Ryu or whatever. "Don't host my characters anywhere otherwise I won't release any to the public in the future." It was amazing to me how much of the scene was full of people that took this utterly childish attitude.

I've still got my Mugen setup, the final tally being about 1100 characters and over 500 stages. I thought I'd lost it a while back but found it on an old hard drive that I hooked up to an enclosure. I backed that thing up to my Google Drive immediately afterwards haha. It's about 12GB :P

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, Zombeaver said:

I used to be suuuuuuuuper into Mugen, scouring innumerable obscure all-Japanese websites (before automatic page translation was a thing in browsers), various pages that looked like they were from Geocities, and a bunch of message boards for that one obscure character you saw on someone's video but couldn't find anywhere. The hunt for characters/stages and adding/arranging them was as much fun as playing for me. Unfortunately, the Mugen community is one of the most caustic, petulant, and insane groups I've run into on the internet - people that get extremely pissy about anyone hosting "their" character anywhere other than on their personal, highly unorganized site that looks like ass. Sorry guy, but ripping some sprites and adding some basic AI doesn't suddenly make you the creator and owner of Wolverine or Ryu or whatever. "Don't host my characters anywhere otherwise I won't release any to the public in the future." It was amazing to me how much of the scene was full of people that took this utterly childish attitude.

I've still got my Mugen setup, the final tally being about 1100 characters and over 500 stages. I thought I'd lost it a while back but found it on an old hard drive that I hooked up to an enclosure. I backed that thing up to my Google Drive immediately afterwards haha. It's about 12GB :P

Im very interested this, can you share this? maybe pm me?

• 11 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 10:18 PM, Zombeaver said:

can i ask for the file?

Edited by Upsilon4

My problem with M.U.G.E.N. is that it is hardly ever remotely "balanced". Sure It would be hard to have something 100% balanced when everyone can make characters, but It's not fun to have characters that just inta win with one hit/are invulnerable, or just plain don't work :P.

Could I have a link as well? You seem to be great at curating in general :p.

It's funny for this to come up out of the blue since I randomly added some stuff to it a couple months ago haha; mostly as an excuse to mess around with using Reshade to see how well/if it would work with it. Took a fair bit of fiddling to get them to cooperate the way I wanted.

1554145065_Winmugen2021-01-2818-08-40.thumb.png.47ebd20e92a19ea21d467292cdc90f73.pngI'll upload the current version to my Google drive and link it in here. It might be tomorrow. It's about 14GB uncompressed.

Alright, here it is. If you want to enable Reshade, go into the ZombsReshade subfolder and start "Enable.bat". "Disable.bat" turns it off. It's setup to use my own bezel which is designed for 1920x1080. If you're using something else you'd want to disable the overlay and the aspect ratio passes.

It has a "Loading..." intro when it starts but you can skip it by pressing Esc. Be aware that the first time you start it, it will take a while to load to the title screen because it has a lot of data to cache. It will seem like it's frozen but it's not. It should start quickly on subsequent launches until you restart.

You select characters by moving up and down the character selection screen to different categories and then pressing left or right. Until you press left or right, it'll select a random character if you press a button. Once you've pressed left or right to see characters in a section, you'll need to move back to the starting position (it circles around whether you go left or right; when it starts flipping through characters randomly you're back to the starting position) before moving up or down to a different category.

This may seem a little odd add first but you'll get used to it. The alternative to this is what you see in a lot of M.U.G.E.N. setups - a gigantic grid of characters that's a complete mess with tiny character icons. I much prefer this.

552924485_Winmugen2021-01-2820-28-24.thumb.png.9a6a5ccf96ba72ab67d04730cf7058fd.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Alright, here it is. If you want to enable Reshade, go into the ZombsReshade subfolder and start "Enable.bat". "Disable.bat" turns it off. It's setup to use my own bezel which is designed for 1920x1080. If you're using something else you'd want to disable the overlay and the aspect ratio passes.

It has a "Loading..." intro when it starts but you can skip it by pressing Esc. Be aware that the first time you start it, it will take a while to load to the title screen because it has a lot of data to cache. It will seem like it's frozen but it's not. It should start quickly on subsequent launches until you restart.

You select characters by moving up and down the character selection screen to different categories and then pressing left or right. Until you press left or right, it'll select a random character if you press a button. Once you've pressed left or right to see characters in a section, you'll need to move back to the starting position (it circles around whether you go left or right; when it starts flipping through characters randomly you're back to the starting position) before moving up or down to a different category.

This may seem a little odd add first but you'll get used to it. The alternative to this is what you see in a lot of M.U.G.E.N. setups - a gigantic grid of characters that's a complete mess with tiny character icons. I much prefer this.

552924485_Winmugen2021-01-2820-28-24.thumb.png.9a6a5ccf96ba72ab67d04730cf7058fd.png

Looks really cool. Love the way you select characters. I olso like the bezel, but I don't know how to turn it on. I just get black borders. Could you please tell me how to enable the bezel?

10 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Thank you for uploading it!