LaunchBox Community Forums

I love this theme but some videos don't play yet they do when using the default theme. One specific system that doesn't play is MAME using WMP or VLC, though VLC standalone plays them fine. Relevant pastebin of video properties from MPC-BE player.

Edit: Also using LB 9.10 and the latest Nostalgia which I downloaded today.

Edited by Tony
Specify versions

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I love this theme but some videos don't play yet they do when using the default theme. One specific system that doesn't play is MAME using WMP or VLC, though VLC standalone plays them fine. Relevant pastebin of video properties from MPC-BE player.  Edit: Also using LB 9.10 and the latest Nostalgia which I downloaded today.

Thanks for the info. Pardon all these questions -- just trying to narrow it down a bit more. Was it working before you upgraded LB or the theme? Does it only occur for games where you use theme videos? Anything else the games for which videos do not play have in common? Does it show something besides the video, e.g., screenshots, or just the tv-static video? Also, if you want to pm me a few of the videos that aren't playing that might help, though I assume you're using the same videos as me from emumovies (?).

8 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Thanks for the info. Pardon all these questions -- just trying to narrow it down a bit more. Was it working before you upgraded LB or the theme? Does it only occur for games where you use theme videos? Anything else the games for which videos do not play have in common? Does it show something besides the video, e.g., screenshots, or just the tv-static video? Also, if you want to pm me a few of the videos that aren't playing that might help, though I assume you're using the same videos as me from emumovies (?).

1) At one point, yes, it was working but I haven't launched Bigbox in a good 6 months, I mainly use the LB interface.

2) Theme videos? I don't really use those, if I'm understanding the term correctly, I just use video snaps for games and usually search youtube for console commercials as my main console videos. I'm not sure it's allowed but for instance, my source for MAME videos was the Arcade Punks HQ pack, most other places it was Emumovies. The other Bigbox theme I use, Unified Refried and default, plays those videos fine. One exception I've experienced lately is BB crashes when loading my Colecovision games, no problem with LB, but that's another issue I'll have to resolve later. I'll PM you a few examples.

Edit: SOLVED! Thanks to eatkinola's quick response. Just had to specify in LaunchBox\Themes\Nostalgia\Views\Styles\Nostalgia.xaml to use VLC instead of WMP via editing <sys:String x:Key="NostConfig_MediaPlayerImpl">VLC</sys:String>. I suspect maybe a codec issue with built-in WMP and since I'm using odd snap packs from the internet that may use various other encoding means for x264 videos.

Edited by Tony
Solved
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Edit: SOLVED! Thanks to eatkinola's quick response. Just had to specify in LaunchBox\Themes\Nostalgia\Views\Styles\Nostalgia.xaml to use VLC instead of WMP via editing <sys:String x:Key="NostConfig_MediaPlayerImpl">VLC</sys:String>. I suspect maybe a codec issue with built-in WMP and since I'm using odd snap packs from the internet that may use various other encoding means for x264 videos.

Thanks @Tony for the troubleshooting efforts. To others reading this, bear in mind switching to VLC in my themes (i.e., using the Ao.Bigbox.Themer plugin) might lead to instability; it may work, it may not depending on the videos. That's why my themes force WMP by default. In my experience, WMP runs smoothly and efficiently. WMP does not support as many codecs out the box as VLC, which can be an issue for some users; depending on how you source your videos. I've had great experience with emumovie vids.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Guidope said:

Just wanted to let you Guys know my theme got completely messed up when installing the newest version of LB. Screen starts up on ‘general’ With no games or platforms shown. Can’t change views either. Other themes seem to still work fine

Thanks, Guidope. I had to update it to support LB 10+. I'm almost done and hope to post an updated Nostalgia this weekend.

• Unusual Gem 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2019 at 12:31 AM, MuffinXXL said:

I have experienced an issue that I can's display any logo (neither Platform Logo nor Game Logo) I did not know what is going on, I tried to fixed it but still not working. It display only words but I am pretty sure my Logo  is fine since My other theme could recongnized them.

FYI for anyone wondering -- we worked this out in a pm. MuffinXXL had to change the platform/game views to Wheel 4, which are the views which use clear logos for the wheel.

• 2 months later...

First absolutely love the theme. I see you have a playlist clear logo for a random game.  My question is how to I use it?  I understand how to add it and have it show in the theme but, how exactly do I get it to execute a random game? 

12 hours ago, mmag05 said:

First absolutely love the theme. I see you have a playlist clear logo for a random game.  My question is how to I use it?  I understand how to add it and have it show in the theme but, how exactly do I get it to execute a random game? 

Generation of the Random, Recent, Favorites, etc. playlists is handled by a plugin I made (separate from Nostalgia but you can use together). Look a the drop-in documentation for Ao Bigbox Customs. It will regenerate lists on LB/BB startup, e.g., a new list of random games will be generate on each startup. You can specify which lists are used, and the size of the list. If you are looking for a plugin to pick a new random game every time you press a key combination, there might be a plugin somewhere else on the forum for this.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 8:22 PM, drunkfists said:

Yeah I'll wait for an update a toggle would be awesome, I just keep breaking it lol. I have one other question when I download the videos in launch box for the platforms video in tools. I use the viking videos and it ends up playing the video inside of a video image. Thanks for the help.

picture.PNG

I have the same problem.  How did you fix this?

• 4 months later...

I'm getting these 2 errors when I apply the theme:

Could not load type 'Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VlcPlayer' from assembly 'Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows, Version=11.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=97d6238f04304129'.

App:     Big Box
Version: 11.8
Type:    System.TypeLoadException
Site:    Void .ctor(Boolean)
Source:  Ao.Bigbox.Themer.v3_9_7

at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayer_VLC..ctor(Boolean hwDecodingEnabled)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayerFactory.CreateMediaPlayer(MediaPlayerImpl impl)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayerFactory.CreateMediaPlayer(MediaPlayerImpl impl)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Controls.MediaTrack.ConfigMediaPlayer(Boolean loaded)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Controls.MediaTrack.<.ctor>b__6_0(Object o, RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

5:23:19 PM Exception

and

Could not load type 'Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VlcPlayer' from assembly 'Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows, Version=11.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=97d6238f04304129'.

Site:    Void Dispose(Boolean)

at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayer_VLC.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayer_VLC.Finalize()

Recent Log:

5:23:50 PM Exception

It works fine on my old installation, but I just got a new computer to play on, and when I extracted the files to the Themes folder (and unblocked the files) of the fresh installation, I'm getting these errors.

I also reported the issue on the Luanchbox Bitbucket page: Issue 5818

This is my favorite theme for Launchbox/Big Box, I'm hoping there's a simple fix I'm mising here.

Edited by Pyrometheous

27 minutes ago, Pyrometheous said:

This is my favorite theme for Launchbox/Big Box, I'm hoping there's a simple fix I'm mising here.

The fix is that the theme needs updating, it uses a video plugin that interacts with VLC, VLC was moved so the plugin can no longer find it and throws the error. The theme and plugin creator has not been on the forums in 6 months, so i dont expect the theme will get that update im afraid.

1 hour ago, Pyrometheous said:

I'm getting these 2 errors when I apply the theme:

Site:    Void .ctor(Boolean)

at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayer_VLC..ctor(Boolean hwDecodingEnabled)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Controls.MediaTrack.ConfigMediaPlayer(Boolean loaded)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Controls.MediaTrack.<.ctor>b__6_0(Object o, RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

5:23:19 PM Exception

and

Site:    Void Dispose(Boolean)

at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayer_VLC.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Utils.Media.MediaPlayer_VLC.Finalize()

Recent Log:

5:23:50 PM Exception

It works fine on my old installation, but I just got a new computer to play on, and when I extracted the files to the Themes folder (and unblocked the files) of the fresh installation, I'm getting these errors.

I also reported the issue on the Luanchbox Bitbucket page: Issue 5818

Just to chime in as a long time user of this theme and even a fork of this theme which I put together, I can tell you that it's been broken ever since version 10 (-ish?) of LaunchBox/BigBox. So, I'd advise you to keep your old installation if you want to keep using Nostalgia until the author of this theme applies a fix or update to get it working with the most recent version.