LaunchBox Community Forums

mame games won't load

mADjAckJ

Good idea i will try that in a bit. Maybe my rom set doesn't match the latest mame. I have had the roms sometime now to be honest. I think it was 0.78 roms. Would that version of mame work with launchbox or do i need to download a new romset now?

I will let you know results of games testing asap.

Hi @mADjAckJ

There seems to be some confusion in the posts about which romset you have. Is it 0.78 or 0.178?. Look inside one of your CPS2 game zips and check if it has a key file named after the game such as 1944.key, avsp.key and so on. If it has then you have 0.178 or later.

If you are on 0.78 then attempting to get a 0.78 romset to work, game by game, with MAME 0.190 is a mammoth task. You would be better off grabbing a 0.190 romset and chds.

For example, getting a qsound.zip that has the dl-1425.bin instead of the now obsolete qsound.bin file in itself will not get your Capcom 2 games working.
All Capcom 2 games since 0.178 have a CPS2 encryption key file added to enable them to work with MAME 0.178 and later.

Your NeoGeo games will not work as the neogeo bios will be outdated and some of these games will also be out of date.

These are just two examples of things that won't work without grabbing new roms, bios and so on.

By the way, the lack of sound in the game Ace is normal.

Hi, i have romset 0.78. I have now installed mame 0.78 release and the games seem to be working hooray :) Only thing is as its an older version it is command line only so i am now trying to work out how to set the controls. I guess my other option is to download the 0.190 romset at some point. Where is the best place to get that from?

1 hour ago, mADjAckJ said:

Only thing is as its an older version it is command line only so i am now trying to work out how to set the controls.

Just load a game and hit tab on your keyboard, then choose "input (general)" then if you scroll a way's down in there you will find all the "P1" controls.

• 1 year later...

I am in the process if building a mame arcade machine for the first time.

I am having exactly the same issue as the previous posters. I am using 0.202 merged romset (I have had no luck in finding a split set near my mame version .208).

I am assuming its a bad romset I have by the sound of this thread.  I there an easy way to find out if your romset is incomplete?

1 minute ago, LangdonFan said:

I am in the process if building a mame arcade machine for the first time.

I am having exactly the same issue as the previous posters. I am using 0.202 merged romset (I have had no luck in finding a split set near my mame version .208).

I am assuming its a bad romset I have by the sound of this thread.  I there an easy way to find out if your romset is incomplete?

If your romset is 0.202 have you tried using version 0.202 of MAME itself. You generally want them to match. It may be that your roms are OK, but they are not compatible with the current version of the emulator. So i would try that before looking for a new romset. Also the merged set doesnt come with any bios files if i remember correctly, so that would be a major issue if you have no bios and would be why games do not work.