LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

so if we could just point them somewhere? like to a specific thread. with how to fix it in the time being?

If you could just please help them update to the beta releases, that's the best option. If someone wants to create a forum post on how to update to beta release step-by-step, that might make the transition a bit smoother. There's a video tutorial on YouTube on how to do it, but it's outdated since we added background updates.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 4 is out now guys with a revamped Welcome screen that uses CEF and is more integrated with our website.

Oooh, now that is sexy.

I know I and many others probably turn off the welcome screens but if you are planning (or this new one can already do it) to have news and update info in it that would be awesome. Something like a "Hey here's a notice of an issue and temporary fix" for example would be really awesome.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Oooh, now that is sexy.

I know I and many others probably turn off the welcome screens but if you are planning (or this new one can already do it) to have news and update info in it that would be awesome. Something like a "Hey here's a notice of am issue and temporary fix" for example would be really awesome.

Agreed. It does have the Twitter feed on it, but we could certainly do something more prominent. Though, yes, I don't want to force the welcome screen to show up on every startup.

16 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

I know you said you don't plan on a lobby system for launchbox users, but oh man that would be cool! See who's on launchbox right now and play something with them!

Indeed, that would be amazing. It is something I would love to do at some point, assuming the actual netplay features work out.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Remember that there are settings available to adjust how many community ratings are required before a game is considered rated. That is the reason why they're displayed under Not Rated.

@Jason Carr - Thanks, I actually did not know that. I can't seem to find the settings for that. Can you tell me where to find them?

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I've identified a problem with the PDF reader. If I recall correctly RocketLauncher had the same problem. It's with manuals that have the first page as a single page, then all subsequent pages as double pages.

The problem is, the PDF reader chooses a zoom level by default that is appropriate only for the first page, then all the double pages are too small. Attempting to zoom in automatically takes you back to page 1, and it's very difficult to gauge whether or not you've got the zoom right or not. That's the 2nd problem - zooming in takes you back to the beginning of the manual.

Here's a screenshot, this is typical for N64 game manuals from Emumovies.

2018-01-29.png

On 1/31/2018 at 4:32 PM, Typhon said:

@Jason Carr I've identified a problem with the PDF reader. If I recall correctly RocketLauncher had the same problem. It's with manuals that have the first page as a single page, then all subsequent pages as double pages.

The problem is, the PDF reader chooses a zoom level by default that is appropriate only for the first page, then all the double pages are too small. Attempting to zoom in automatically takes you back to page 1, and it's very difficult to gauge whether or not you've got the zoom right or not. That's the 2nd problem - zooming in takes you back to the beginning of the manual.

Here's a screenshot, this is typical for N64 game manuals from Emumovies.

2018-01-29.png

Unfortunately those issues would be difficult/impossible to solve without replacing the PDF viewer with a different solution other than Chrome, as it has its limitations. I don't have that much flexibility over the PDFs.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:10 PM, JOHN30011887 said:

Just wanted to say holy s**t launchbox starts up so much quicker with 8.0 beta 4, great job @Jason Carr, green loading bar is like just less than a quarter full then boom its all loaded up, so happy with this :D

Hope this can be looked into at some point please, sorry if i should attach this here - 

Thanks John, I do still have that on my radar. I will get to it eventually, though there are other features that are more requested, so it hasn't been a high priority (yet).

• Like 1

Alright, I went ahead and put out a beta early today, including:

- Fixed: Retro Achievements were causing errors to pop up in LaunchBox if the retroachievements.org website went down

- Fixed: Some Big Box theme combinations resulted in issues saving different views for each platform

- New Big Box PDF reader key and button mappings for Zoom In and Zoom Out (no longer mapped to Page Up and Page Down, new defaults are the + and - keys)

- Attempting to fix newly-introduced Big Box performance issues from here: 

- New Greek translation (only half-way finished by @sxetikos)

- New option in Big Box to use built-in PDF reader for additional apps PDFs

• Like 1