LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

Even with me giving you some pointers on what I use, no utility is guaranteed to rename the files 100% correct every time, so you will have to play around with them and get a handle on how things work. Here is a video that I used to get going:

If you don't have access to the Hyperspin download link, just Google for it and you should be good.

@dragon57On second thought... Aren't renaming is a solution only for roms that does not show any bezels at all (black sides)? All my roms show bezels.

Again, my problem is that One wrong bezel (of other game) is displayed in many different games and that bezel is of bugs bunny genesis game.

So i thought maybe its a retroarch wrong configuration and entered RA and found the bezel in the settings:

Onscreen display>Onscreen overley>Overley display>bugs bunny in double trouble

What is this setting for? What should be configured here? Is renaming all rom sets still the solution?

Edited by vgbox

4 hours ago, vgbox said:

@dragon57On second thought... Aren't renaming is a solution only for roms that does not show any bezels at all (black sides)? All my roms show bezels.

Again, my problem is that One wrong bezel (of other game) is displayed in many different games and that bezel is of bugs bunny genesis game.

So i thought maybe its a retroarch wrong configuration and entered RA and found the bezel in the settings:

Onscreen display>Onscreen overley>Overley display>bugs bunny in double trouble

What is this setting for? What should be configured here? Is renaming all rom sets still the solution?

Ah, gotcha. Yes, that is probably the issue.

To fix, make sure Retroarch isn't running, then edit the retroarch.cfg file and search for the line with config_save_on_exit, then change the value from true to false. Next, search for input_overlay and remove the value from between the quotation marks. Save and exit your editor. See if that helps.

7 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Ah, gotcha. Yes, that is probably the issue.

To fix, make sure Retroarch isn't running, then edit the retroarch.cfg file and search for the line with config_save_on_exit, then change the value from true to false. Next, search for input_overlay and remove the value from between the quotation marks. Save and exit your editor. See if that helps.

Done, but now games don't show overlays at all.

?

45 minutes ago, vgbox said:

Done, but now games don't show overlays at all.

?

Try reinstalling a set of bezels for Retroarch and see if they show up. During installation the app modifies a core cfg file to enable things. If the system bezels you reinstall still doesn't show, we can debug from there.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:36 AM, dragon57 said:

Try reinstalling a set of bezels for Retroarch and see if they show up. During installation the app modifies a core cfg file to enable things. If the system bezels you reinstall still doesn't show, we can debug from there.

I uninstalled mega drive bezels from BP and installed them again from BP. Now, Most roms i try don't show any bezels, only a small minority do. What's next?

Edited by vgbox

3 hours ago, vgbox said:

I uninstalled mega drive bezels from BP and installed them again from BP. Now, Most roms i try don't show any bezels, only a small minority do. What's next?

If you can, please provide me with the listing of your mega drive rom directory, archive it, then send it to me via a PM. Also, please provide me with a couple of games that do seem to work and a couple that don't. I'll then setup a test on my end and try to figure out what is going on.

@dragon57Sure thing. Examples taken from Launchbox window, (Arranged by: Region):

Bezels are showing for:

Sonic the hedgehog (north america, europe)

After burner II (north america, europe)

The jungle book (north america)

Bezel not showing for:

Sonic 3 (north america)

Streets of rage III (north america)

Golden axe III (europe)

PM'ed you my MD directory list right now.

Edited by vgbox

1 hour ago, vgbox said:

@dragon57Sure thing. Examples taken from Launchbox window, (Arranged by: Region):

Bezels are showing for:

Sonic the hedgehog (north america, europe)

After burner II (north america, europe)

The jungle book (north america)

Bezel not showing for:

Sonic 3 (north america)

Streets of rage III (north america)

Golden axe III (europe)

PM'ed you my MD directory list right now.

Your roms for Megadrive do not appear to be a standard No-Intro set. The names are not matching like they should, which is the issue. I recommend trying to find a standard no-intro set for megadrive/genesis and trying that. An alternative is renaming your existing roms, but you have so many more than what is needed with so many different versions that doing so will be a chore, even with renaming utilities.

11 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Your roms for Megadrive do not appear to be a standard No-Intro set. The names are not matching like they should, which is the issue. I recommend trying to find a standard no-intro set for megadrive/genesis and trying that. An alternative is renaming your existing roms, but you have so many more than what is needed with so many different versions that doing so will be a chore, even with renaming utilities.

Do you have a list of how megadrive/genesis files should be named for the bezels to always show?

PM'ed you as well in regard.

Edited by vgbox

3 minutes ago, vgbox said:

Do you have a list of how megadrive/genesis files should be named for the bezels to always show?

PM'ed you as well in regard.

The rom names need to match the cfg files from the bezel set, as has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread.

Hi, 

First of all, thanks for the great work. I love the idea of the project. 

I am trying to use the bezel project in windows with retroarch. For now, I am trying SNES (snes9x_libretro) but it is not working for me.

My games are a "No intro" romset and matches the config file names. I think, at some point in the chain of configs, one of the config files may not do its work.

I will use as example "Final Fight (USA).zip" .Here it is how  my config files look like:

In "\config" I have "snes9x_libretro.cfg" with the following lines regarding overlays among others:

menu_show_overlays = "true" 
overlay_directory = ":\overlays"
input_overlay = ":/overlays/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg"

In "\config\Snes9x", I have all the cfg for the games including "Final Fight (USA).cfg" with only one line:

input_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/SNES/Final Fight (USA).cfg"

In "\overlays", I have "Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg" with these 4 lines:

overlays = 1
overlay0_overlay = Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png
overlay0_full_screen = true
overlay0_descs = 0

in "\overlays\GameBezels\SNES", I have all the pngs and cfgs for each game including  Final Fight (USA).cfg with the following lines:

overlays = 1
overlay0_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/SNES/Final Fight (USA).png"
overlay0_descs = 0

The overlay does not show up in the game. However, if I go to the quick menu, "Onscreen Overlay",  I can see the the config file is selected and, If I switch on the overlays (off by default), the correct game overlay shows up on top of the game. The display would need to be adjusted to fit within the overlay. 

Is that the expected behavior? Will we need to activate the bezels manually and adjust the display size and position?
Am I missing something?

Initially, I used the web app to do this and later I used the BezelProject-Windows from github. I am not sure if that could have messed something up.

Thanks!

F

1 hour ago, Flope said:

Hi, 

First of all, thanks for the great work. I love the idea of the project. 

I am trying to use the bezel project in windows with retroarch. For now, I am trying SNES (snes9x_libretro) but it is not working for me.

My games are a "No intro" romset and matches the config file names. I think, at some point in the chain of configs, one of the config files may not do its work.

I will use as example "Final Fight (USA).zip" .Here it is how  my config files look like:

In "\config" I have "snes9x_libretro.cfg" with the following lines regarding overlays among others:

menu_show_overlays = "true" 
overlay_directory = ":\overlays"
input_overlay = ":/overlays/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg"

In "\config\Snes9x", I have all the cfg for the games including "Final Fight (USA).cfg" with only one line:

In "\overlays", I have "Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg" with these 4 lines:

overlays = 1
overlay0_overlay = Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png
overlay0_descs = 0

in "\overlays\GameBezels\SNES", I have all the pngs and cfgs for each game including  Final Fight (USA).cfg with the following lines:

overlays = 1
overlay0_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/SNES/Final Fight (USA).png"
overlay0_descs = 0

The overlay does not show up in the game. However, if I go to the quick menu, "Onscreen Overlay",  I can see the the config file is selected and, If I switch on the overlays (off by default), the correct game overlay shows up on top of the game. The display would need to be adjusted to fit within the overlay. 

Is that the expected behavior? Will we need to activate the bezels manually and adjust the display size and position?
Am I missing something?

Initially, I used the web app to do this and later I used the BezelProject-Windows from github. I am not sure if that could have messed something up.

Thanks!

F

All of what you list and describe looks to be correct. Not sure why things are not working for you. The only rule is the rom names MUST match the cfg file names in ...\retroarch\config\<core name>\.

What version of Retroarch are you using? I have been reading on the Libretro forums of various issues related to core overrides, overlays, etc. Version 1.8.x and newer have a lot of changes.

Thanks for your reply.  I am using retroarch 1.8.1 (the latest right?)

It could be some override. I will keep trying to pin the problem. I need to understand better how the hierarchy of cfg files works in retroarch. Any pointers?

To be sure that I understand the project correctly, the bezels should show up in every game automatically, but would the size of the display and position need to be changed manually?

Edited by Flope

9 hours ago, Flope said:

Thanks for your reply.  I am using retroarch 1.8.1 (the latest right?)

It could be some override. I will keep trying to pin the problem. I need to understand better how the hierarchy of cfg files works in retroarch. Any pointers?

To be sure that I understand the project correctly, the bezels should show up in every game automatically, but would the size of the display and position need to be changed manually?

Yes, the bezels should automatically display when you start a game. As long as your display has an aspect ratio of 16:9, you should be good since the cfg files assume scaling the bezel to full size.

You can search for how cfg files work in Retroarch, but basically, it reads the main retroarch.cfg first, then it searches for a core override, then a game override. Mixed in with this are core, game, and global options and mapping files. You can read the retropie documentation here which is pretty much the same on Windows with just path changes: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration#hardcoded-configurations

I will correct my earlier comment about changes starting in 1.8.x. After reading a ton, 1.7.8 was the revision when they changed how shaders were read and saved.

Thanks again for taking your time to help me. I will check the documentation. 

My question regarding the bezels wasn't related to the bezel itself but the game display. 

I have a 16:9 screen and I see that the bezel is in full display when I turn it on, but then it covers the sides of game. With other bezels, I just adjust manually the position and size of the display. Is that something that we will need to do manually?

Doh! Now I am realizing that.....should I display the game in 4:3 format and I will be fine? I think I play all my games full screen stretching to 16:9. 

EDIT:

As @dragon57 suggested, the easy solution was to change the aspect_ratio to "core provided", turn the bezels on, and save core overrides (\config\Snes9x\Snes9x.cfg). In case somebody care, here it is, more or less, the hierarchy of config files and some relevant lines on those files. It is also important to double check rom names (it is case sensitive). 

\retroarch.cfg

\retroarch-core-options.cfg

snes9x_aspect = "4:3"

\config\snes9x_libretro.cfg

input_overlay = ":\overlays\Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg"
input_overlay_opacity = "1.000000"

\config\Snes9x\Snes9x.cfg

aspect_ratio_index = "22"
input_overlay_enable = "true"

\config\Snes9x\Final Fight (USA).cfg

\overlays\Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg

\overlays\GameBezels\SNES\Final Fight (USA).cfg

overlays = 1
overlay0_overlay = ":\overlays\GameBezels\SNES\Final Fight (USA).png"
overlay0_descs = 0

Edited by Flope

2 hours ago, Flope said:

Thanks again for taking your time to help me. I will check the documentation. 

My question regarding the bezels wasn't related to the bezel itself but the game display. 

I have a 16:9 screen and I see that the bezel is in full display when I turn it on, but then it covers the sides of game. With other bezels, I just adjust manually the position and size of the display. Is that something that we will need to do manually?

Doh! Now I am realizing that.....should I display the game in 4:3 format and I will be fine? I think I play all my games full screen stretching to 16:9. 

If you set the video options to use 'core provided' scale, everything should auto-scale and look correct in its original 4:3 aspect ratio (for most retro systems). Some handheld ones have a different aspect ratio, but we try to take that in to account when the bezels are made.

• Thanks 1

@dragon57 So i downloaded a clean (no demos, no betas, etc.) 1G1R (one game, one rom) no-intro genesis-megadrive  set (USA, Europe, Japan) and more games seem to show bezels but still, some games won't show bezels, examples:

Not showing bezels:

Sipder-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage (World)

Showing bezels:

Spider-Man (North America, Europe)

What could be the problem?

Btw, RA Genesis Plus GX core is updated. 

I PM'd you my Rom set list.

Edited by vgbox