LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

On 11/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, vgbox said:

I used FatMatch to rename my SMS cfg's (configured 65% accuracy) but for some reason as seen in the screenshot, it won't list "Aladdin (Europe, Brazil).zip"-----"Aladdin (Europe).cfg" while it will list other similarly related files like Ace of Aces (Europe, Brazil).zip-----Ace of Aces (Europe).cfg,

1. Why it won't list it? As you can see the list is alphabetical. Also, both files are present in their respective folders.

2. Is there recommended settings for renaming?

I'm aware that there cannot be 100% accuracy and i read the whole thread and found no answers.

image.thumb.png.9b213c1b91962872e6587cd344f4cd2c.png

@DOS76

Believe me, i tried. I posted my progress here and asked questions and nobody seem to know. I got no answers. I followed the guides here. I use the latest no-intro roms for all my consoles. We don't need to change the roms names, we need to change the cfg names to match the roms so i used fatmatch for that which is recommended here and after the renaming quite a lot of games still won't show the bezels because fatmatch is ignoring these roms. Why it ignores some of the roms? Nobody seem to know. Here's the quote of my progress. Moreover, i want 100% showing bezels or else there is no point afaic to use bezels, either all show bezels or i won't use bezels at all. As i wrote, this is why i only use the bezels for mame as of now. Any clues?

Edited by vgbox

I personally don't know as I don't use it but just negatively commenting and telling other users not to use it until it is properly implemented isn't helpful. I'm sorry you can't' get it to work and I'm sorry I don't have any direct information that will help you getting it to work. Just please tune down the negativity over it if you are giving up on it that is fine but don't suggest others do the same since as you can see @tallpr24now has it working with most of his platforms if he would have followed your advice and just given up he wouldn't have achieved that.

9 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I personally don't know as I don't use it but just negatively commenting and telling other users not to use it until it is properly implemented isn't helpful. I'm sorry you can't' get it to work and I'm sorry I don't have any direct information that will help you getting it to work. Just please tune down the negativity over it if you are giving up on it that is fine but don't suggest others do the same since as you can see @tallpr24now has it working with most of his platforms if he would have followed your advice and just given up he wouldn't have achieved that.

You are right about negativity. Wasn't my intention. My apologies. It's just frustrating.

@tallpr24 do you have sms fullset? Genesis fullset? Etc. If you do, would be nice if you test many games to see if you catch some that are not showing bezels. Wouldn't be surprised if you find some. Would be nice if you share your resaults here.

5 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I'm pretty sure there are already plenty of people using the bezel project without issue so just because you can't figure out how to fix it or are unwilling to change your ROMs names to match the project you are in no way being helpful to anyone when you make post like this.

Yes, the current bezel integration is what we have ... It's quite "fragile". What would be better is if the bezels had dynamically generated configuration files perhaps based on the current rom set or dynamically added by the launcher. Due to the way RetroArch configuration files work, too much can go wrong with the current setup.

Also with Launchbox, it would be good if they tracked ROMs based upon checksums rather than just filename, this way, matches would be much better.

Sure it works, but it is a house of cards.

Edited by coolspot

1 hour ago, vgbox said:

You are right about negativity. Wasn't my intention. My apologies. It's just frustrating.

@tallpr24 do you have sms fullset? Genesis fullset? Etc. If you do, would be nice if you test many games to see if you catch some that are not showing bezels. Wouldn't be surprised if you find some. Would be nice if you share your resaults here.

yes i have full set.  in process of testing and will report back.

1 hour ago, coolspot said:

Yes, the current bezel integration is what we have ... It's quite "fragile". What would be better is if the bezels were dynamically generated perhaps based on the current rom set or dynamically added by the launcher.

Also with Launchbox, it would be good if they tracked ROMs based upon checksums rather than just filename, this way, matches would be much better.

Sure it works, but it is a house of cards.

I would call it a "work in progress".

We have to remember this isn't solely for LaunchBox/BigBox.  It's for windows RetroArch users.  This started and continues to be driven by the RetroPie implementation.

We PC users have more options for selecting different emulator cores, which may or may not be available in the current version of the installer.

Sure, there are some gaps; but I bet those will be filled over time.

Have fun figuring this stuff out.  It's a hobby, after all!  :)

4 hours ago, vgbox said:

vgbox, pm me. 

im still trying to get the sega genesis to work correctly.. So far i have nes, snes, pc engine, mame, sega master system, gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, virtual boy, sega 32x, atari jaguar, atari 2600 atari 7800

Still not working:

n64, 3do,nds,game and watch,sammy atomiswave,sega cd,sega dreamcast,sega genesis,sega naomi,sega saturn, sony playstation

s

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

anyone know what folder to use in /config for n64 and 3do?

If using the Mupen core:   "Mupen64Plus-Next OpenGL"

As far as I know where are no 3DO bezels made yet, but the config folder name would be 4DO, named after the 3DO emulator core. 

Again go into RA and load the core you're looking into and you can see the name at the bottom left.

image.thumb.png.7eccb8be2bfdd8481f469c30a87310e4.png

• Like 1

thank you i got it working, i was naming the folder with a under score by following the core name in launchbox.  but another question.  I just realized n64 is the one retro system i like playing in widescreen.  How do you turn off over lays one specific core?  i want to keep the other bezels but not for n64

1 hour ago, tallpr24 said:

Sega CD, uses the same core as sega genesis.  Not sure how set up the bezels if they both use the same core.

Unfortunately, this is a common issue with only a couple sort of good alternatives. Many just create a second install of Retroarch that serves those cores to different systems. There is also a set of scripts in the 'Retroarch core splitter' thread that makes a copy of certain cores and hex edits entries so you can have different systems using copies of those cores that are problematic/overlapped. Search for the core splitter here on the forums if you are interested in this second solution.

8 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Unfortunately, this is a common issue with only a couple sort of good alternatives. Many just create a second install of Retroarch that serves those cores to different systems. There is also a set of scripts in the 'Retroarch core splitter' thread that makes a copy of certain cores and hex edits entries so you can have different systems using copies of those cores that are problematic/overlapped. Search for the core splitter here on the forums if you are interested in this second solution.

hmm, sounds good.  the other option is to find another core for sega cd.  do you know of another core i could use?